It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Naming Missions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 11:38 PM
link   
As a former military officer, I use to put some effort into naming missions. The purpose; so that all engaged understand with a couple words what was the focus with clarity. Very simple, direct and on target. With that being said look at these two:

1. Mid Term Review
2. Crossfire Hurricane

Now which one looks like something one would not want to be on the receiving end of. The first one sounds like some college study binder pizza party. The second one sounds like gun trucks loaded with 50 cals, support attack helicopters and the ability to call in air strikes. Just a lethal force with the intent to kill anything within a 10 mile radius without asking questions if it's right or wrong.

posted on May, 7 2020 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

Concur. Although...
For some reason, your second mission (Crossfire Hurricane) evokes a vision of helos on the Mekong Delta with Jumpin Jack Flash blarin' - what epic was movie was that anyway? Pop culture presents opportunity for catchy mission names.

ganjoa

posted on May, 7 2020 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Long time acquaintance of mine has lengthy experience dealing with USAF contract work, mostly “white”, but some “grey-level” (and I suspect “black” as well - which he does not talk about) stuff.

Anyway, he once passed this bit of “common knowledge” down to me from his contacts in the military:

“The more fearsome and awesome the project name sounds, the more truly mundane the project really is.

So, if you’re ever tasked with working on a project called something like ‘Project: Pink Fuzzy Purring Kitten‘, Run. For. Your. F*****g. Life!”

In perverse way, it kind of made sense.
edit on 7-5-2020 by Bhadhidar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2020 @ 12:11 AM
link   
That sounds cool.
From a creative standpoint.

There's a psychology to words and their associations to names as well as organizations.

Operation Fast & Furious.
Bay of Pigs.
I.R.S.

Imagine when ISIL/ISIS was created and we all insisted on calling it A.C.R.O.N.Y.M.

A criminal regiment of nasty young gentlemen.

Psychology man...
edit on 7-5-2020 by Psilocyborg because: Autocorrect fail. Nasty was insisted on being called NASA

posted on May, 7 2020 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Who named these missions. Nobody asked. If I named a mission Mid Term Review the intent is to get a passing grade or better by the current professor. I am reviewing what material the professor requires me to know. If I fail, I flunk the class and ruin my ability to proceed to the next level of courses. Fairly cut and dry.

posted on May, 7 2020 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Yeah, like OPeration Human Shield and Operation Get Behind The Darkies...

posted on May, 7 2020 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

Anyway, he once passed this bit of “common knowledge” down to me from his contacts in the military:

“The more fearsome and awesome the project name sounds, the more truly mundane the project really is.

Quoted for Truth.

"Mid Term Review" was a LOT more dangerous to our country then "The Manhattan Project", for instance.

edit on 7-5-2020 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2020 @ 01:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: ganjoa

Concur. Although...
For some reason, your second mission (Crossfire Hurricane) evokes a vision of helos on the Mekong Delta with Jumpin Jack Flash blarin' - what epic was movie was that anyway? Pop culture presents opportunity for catchy mission names.

ganjoa

Apocalypse Now ?

Cheers

posted on May, 7 2020 @ 06:16 AM
link   
And look at these two equal determinations:

1. Comey: Hillary Clinton was "extremely careless, but no reasonable prosecutor would bring such a casse."

2. Peter Strzok: Tries to use the Logan Act on General Flynn. A law from 221 years ago that nobody has ever been convicted of breaking. What reasonable prosecutor would do that. That would be nobody except the 7th floor of the FBI.

posted on May, 7 2020 @ 06:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets
As a former military officer, I use to put some effort into naming missions. The purpose; so that all engaged understand with a couple words what was the focus with clarity. Very simple, direct and on target. With that being said look at these two:

1. Mid Term Review
2. Crossfire Hurricane

Whee that is hardcore

You reached a position to name missions. Your military education must have taken time and dedication.

All men has to go to army here. Women do not have to go, and Jehova's witnesses don't have to go.

I was an 18 year old teen boy and i would have had better things to do with my time than to obey. And spend time away from my girlfriend. Our department was ruled by a really tough lieutenant. I was scared of him. He shouted so much and was a true alpha male. I was shaking and shaking and shaking.

With that being said, if some country would attack us, i would DEMAND for him to lead my unit.

posted on May, 7 2020 @ 06:55 AM
link   

As a former military officer, I use to put some effort into naming missions.

A former fatigue from the old breed of proper Newspeak?

Commence Operation Mockingbird. Calculating...

posted on May, 7 2020 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Maybe i am going too much off-topic. Mods can delete, if you do, i apologize for causing you unneeded work.

I miss the assault rifle.

I really do.

So very much close to meditation. Me, the weapon, the bullets and the cardboard target. Everything else from this world was shut down.

posted on May, 7 2020 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Finspiracy

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets

1. Mid Term Review
2. Crossfire Hurricane

Whee that is hardcore

You reached a position to name missions. Your military education must have taken time and dedication.

All men has to go to army here. Women do not have to go, and Jehova's witnesses don't have to go.

I was an 18 year old teen boy and i would have had better things to do with my time than to obey. And spend time away from my girlfriend. Our department was ruled by a really tough lieutenant. I was scared of him. He shouted so much and was a true alpha male. I was shaking and shaking and shaking.

With that being said, if some country would attack us, i would DEMAND for him to lead my unit.

I was naming the mission because I was in charge of the missions. Think I'm going to let somebody in an office name my stuff. I also went on all the missions meaning combat missions searching for and disabling IEDs...meh.

Anyway...I would like to know who named the FBI missions. I know it wouldn't achieve anything but for me, it would explain much. Maybe this will come out with the new information. Not only who but also other names they considered. All I know is they were never going to call an investigation into Hillary Crossfire Hurricane or anything that sounded brutal.

posted on May, 7 2020 @ 07:17 AM
link   

So you are now retired from the army?

Have you been on the battlefield?

If my question brings back bad memories i apologize. I am only a curious soul.

You do not have to answer anything at all.

posted on May, 7 2020 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Somewhere in Kissinger's memoirs (there are three volumes, so I can't track it down quickly), he was being asked at a press conference about the latest codename for a Vietnam operation, "Operation Total Victory." His answer was two-fold;
a) This was the South Vietnamese government codename, not the American name.
b) The South Vietnamese called all their operations "Total Victory". This one was Operation Total Victory no 127.

edit on 7-5-2020 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2020 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Finspiracy

I remember that training from my childhood.
Calm meditation acutely aware of your heartbeat as the target only became stationary between beats.
Had to get NRA certified as a sharpshooter before I could move on.
Had a friend that became obsessed with guns, lifetime subscription to G&A stuck home living with his Jewish mother.
Years later sadly he shot himself in the mouth with a small caliber pistol, I visited his mother to give my condolences.
She said the bullet did not kill him immediately, his chest was still going up and down when she found him.
The newspaper obituary said he was DOA when he reached the hospital.
A few weeks later after I was back at my job out of State I started receiving his subscription to G&A which she apparently had put in my name. Of course I was happy to serve in that capacity so she wouldn't continue to get those reminders.

edit on 7-5-2020 by Slichter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2020 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Slichter

Oh... Oh...

I see. Crying a little bit and trying to catch my breath.

I want to take this opportunity to thank you because you gave your condolences to the mother.

I promise you that the mother appreciated that.

posted on May, 7 2020 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Finspiracy

So you are now retired from the army?

Have you been on the battlefield?

If my question brings back bad memories i apologize. I am only a curious soul.

You do not have to answer anything at all.

I was in a couple of branches. Served 20 years. Started out enlisted then went to officer school. No bad memories. Only real bad thing was getting a MRSA infection from an VBIED wound. Infectious disease doctor was not sure I was going to make it. Took a long time to kill it.

posted on May, 7 2020 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Okay i see.

A great thing that you survived through all of that and you are talking here with us

posted on May, 7 2020 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Mick Jagger was born in a Crossfire Hurricane in 1968.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join