It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man wears KKK hood to grocery store

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I was being facetious with my question since this thread is trying their hardest to reason wearing a Klan hood at any time. Buying apples, filling up gas, or Halloween. Sad to read.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

My grandfather was one of the last sharecroppers in this area; he was treated like a slave, or in some ways worse than a slave, quite regularly. He did as he was told to do, or he starved. 

Worst than a slave?? I seriously doubt it, being poor and being a slave is no comparison, being poor , at least in theory would have allowed him to walk away from his condition, walking away while being a slave and you are breaking the law, subject to being hunted down and made to suffer.

And sure massa treated his slaves well , , except when he's not! ( totally discretionary) like tying them to a post beating them bloody for infractions real or imaginary, forcing himself on his female slaves, selling off family members including his own off springs from rape + countless daily humiliations etc.

So yeah slavery was kinda bad but not really??, that's why they resisted both violently and passively trying to put great distance between themselves and lovable ol massa.

edit on 8-5-2020 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Yes, in some ways worse than a slave. If his crops were wiped out, he went hungry despite working his butt off. Most slaves didn't go hungry. Sure, he could walk away... to what? Starvation?

Before the War of Northern Aggression, the average cost of a slave, in today's dollars, was upwards of $40,000. That's not a typo. Fourty Thousand Dollars. That's the price of a very nice new car. Now, I don't know about other places, but around here if someone manages to get a new high-end Buick, they typically don't go around ramming it into trees for the fun of it. One couldn't finance a slave like folks do that car either... the slave-traders demanded cash. How many people would go ramming their new cars into trees if they just paid cash for it?

You're claiming most of them. Please, what state are you in? only ask because I never want to drive through it if people there are that reckless. I value my Buick.

You are repeating stories you have heard, exaggerated stories full of hyperbole, and trying to project them as the norm when that is simply not the case. Try to stop and think for a moment... after the War of Northern Aggression, many, many returning soldiers lost their land to taxes because there wasn't enough labor available to work it without slaves. Now, what person in their right mind... what person in any mind... is going to just go around beating up the very thing that allows them to survive?

And no, that's not defending slavery. You are correct in that the slaves were unable to make their own way through life, and that is unconditionally wrong. Slavery needed to be abolished, was abolished, and rightfully is now a footnote in the annals of history (at least in the US... slavery is still widespread across the globe, if you're serious about despising it so much).

Some slaves were beaten... typically for either trying to run away or for refusing to work. But that was a minority, not the majority. They didn't sleep in five-star hotel rooms, but neither were they out in the weather without a roof. Not very far from me is an old pre-War plantation house that still stands, the only one left in this area. In my youth, I used to visit it (was looking for ghosts; never found any). I have seen the slave galleys... still there, still have the chains on the wall and the sleeping areas. It's dark and eerie down there in the basement... but think about it and one should realize even the plantation owners didn't have electric lights then. It was dark everywhere that wasn't outside!

All I am doing is injecting facts about life prior to 1860. None of my ancestors owned slaves; they couldn't afford them. I tire quickly of people who think that, because of something that happened before their grandparents were probably born, which my ancestors didn't take part in, my skin color somehow makes me less human. That's the exact same argument that was used to keep slavery going in the early days of the country, and it's as unforgivable an argument today as it was then.

By the way, ever wonder why there wasn't anyone to work the land for pay instead of as a slave? Most of the freed slaves starved to death. The war criminal William Tecumseh "Uncle Billy" Sherman made a habit of burning the bridges behind him to prevent the freed slaves from following (he didn't like black folks... surprise!)... after he had killed and allowed his men to rape the white folks and burned all of the food to the ground. That's right... the guy who you probably remember as the great liberator of your people was the one who personally killed more of them in one trek across the South than the entire South probably did in its history.

Get a clue. We're not discussing your fantasies here.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 04:05 AM
link   

You are repeating stories you have heard, exaggerated stories full of hyperbole, and trying to project them as the norm when that is simply not the case.

Yeah and you're dismissing the slave narratives calling them liars, while low key defending those who practiced the institution, by calling them somewhat benevolent.

Ever wondered why poor dusty white folks never volunteered to be actual slaves , not share cropping or indentured servitude mind you..slaves

Or why well treated blacks would risked hightailing it , following the that shiny northern star singing swing low sweet chariot, all the way to Canada if possible.

Or why some out of desperation would want to start slave wars they must of known was unwinnable.

No brother , the fantasy here is your lost cause narrative , meant cleanup your kindred ancestors acts of cruelty and degradation along their traitorous anti American stance, because they couldn't spread their cruel institution across certain lines.

No X-slaves who made their way north spoke kindly about their former masters or condition.

edit on 9-5-2020 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 10:35 AM
link   

I'm not defending nor dismissing. I'm telling it like it was. There were many slaves who made a run for it, of course! Theirs was a hard life. And of course they didn't speak kindly of their former masters... if they ran, it was because they didn't like their previous life. Duh?

I also said that there were some beatings. Some slaves wouldn't work hard enough to suit their masters. That's not a condemnation of them, either; some masters demanded much.

And twice now I have stated that slavery was a horrible institution. You seem intent on glossing over that. No person should ever own another. People are not livestock. It was likely that captivity that caused so many to flee; it would cause me to want to flee. You see, that's where the truth lies: in the fact that there is no real difference between a black man and a white man. What a black man wants out of life is really little different than what a white man wants out of life. What a white man believes is just and right is little different than what a black man thinks is just and right. Once someone gets that idea in their head, all racism disappears... there is nothing to discriminate about, nothing to hate over. People become people. Not good people, not evil people... just people. None of us are perfect, and none of us are useless.

I hope someday you get that through your head.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Ok how did we get here with the KKK hoodie in the super, and why most folks would make objections to it, a few violently so, given it's racist symbolism in an American context..would any of the brave souls here, be willing to vigorously defend a brown Guy wearing a black turban carrying an Isis flag sporting a I Missed Ben Laden T shirt, given recent historical context.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 11:58 AM
link   

You are from Japan, Alex Haley wrote Roots 21 years after Rosa Parks boarded the bus.
I roomed with a grad student from Nigeria in the 70's and he felt butt hurt that he had to attend the childrens table.
He chose to be a chemistry major and they leave out some of the work on big G, since its really not necessary for a chemist.
He enjoyed working with the gas chromatography equipment so maybe he got hung up on the Edgar Allan Poe Vernacular?

edit on 9-5-2020 by Slichter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 12:00 PM
link   

would any of the brave souls here, be willing to vigorously defend a brown Guy wearing a black turban carrying an Isis flag sporting a I Missed Ben Laden T shirt, given recent historical context.

I would treat him the same way I would treat the guy in the badly-faked KKK hood: keep one eye on him and stay a respectable distance away, just in case. I would also oppose any kind of criminal action for him.

If either of them acted out these "implied threats," that's a different story. At that point it becomes the governmnet's duty to stop illegal activities, and my duty to help if I can.

I repeat... people are people. What they wear means nothing. If you don't like someone wearing a KKK hood, don't hang around them. If you were to walk in a store wearing a "Kill Whitey" shirt, I wouldn't want you to be arrested either... as long as you didn't try it.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Ok bruh, if that's an honest ans I respect that.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Slichter

I'm actually from the Republic of Brooklyn.

living in Japan , the rest of your composition got me scratching my head.???

edit on 9-5-2020 by Spider879 because: Stupid Auto correct.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 12:32 PM
link   

100% honest.

To tell the truth, the idiot that started this thread offended me a little as well... that hood was a pretty poor recreation. If he wants to be like the KKK he can at least try to look something approaching realistic. But that probably wasn't his motive... shock and awe was his motive. He seems to have succeeded. He got a whole bunch of people to stop talking about the idiotic mask requirement and start arguing over what race is better (which is even more idiotic).

So I ask you, who's the real idiot here? The guy who wore the fake mask, or the people who followed the primrose path he laid out for them?

TheRedneck

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 12:37 PM
link   

If he was being attacked, yes, I would.

Whether I agree with the sentiment or not, this hypothetical person has the right to express his thoughts.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 12:48 PM
link   

TheRedneck

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Geert Wilders is probably over my head so I can't help you much there either.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Slichter

Geert Wilders is probably over my head so I can't help you much there either.

Ok

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 02:11 PM
link   

how would you feel if there was a dude in the grocery store wearing a shirt that said "i'm going to kill American-philosopher"?
a reply to: continuousThunder

Thats like a threat right ? I dont think that is a fair comparison. the one person is wearing a mask the other person has words that are a threat. with those words there is intent with that person;s mask you dont have intent.

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 02:30 PM
link   

To tell the truth, the idiot that started this thread offended me a little as well..

how did I offend you??

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 02:33 PM
link   
the new MAGA hat for the election.

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

Hilariously enough, this was my exact thought.

<< 3  4  5   >>

join