It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man wears KKK hood to grocery store

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I bring this story up because I want to have a rights disucssion and not a racial/racism discussion.

www.nbcnews.com...

You have a man wearing a KKK hood at a grocery store ( I am wondering if he is doing this in somehow defiance of the mask/face covering policy?) My question is does this individual have a right to wear this hood/mask? This type of hood coms from a past of bigotry,hate,fear, and all kinds of negative sentiments. I dont know if anyone can name anything postive from this type of hood.

But yet I believe that this person has a right to wear this. Now our conceptions about mask and face coverings have changed during and post corona virus. Before corona virus we used to have a not so good sense of someone wearing a mask in a retail environmanet due to possible crimes happening. To me unless this particular store had a policy of no mask or face coverings, this person has a right to wear the mask.

I am wanting to see if anyone can make an argument for why this person should not be allowed to wear this mask. I am open and maybe soemone can change my mind about this.

It goes without saying hopefully that I think the KKK hood is stupid and stands for hate. But people have a right to be stupid and they have a right to stand for hate.

thehill.com...
edit on 6-5-2020 by American-philosopher because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

Your link is 404'd.

ETA The first one anyway.
edit on 6-5-2020 by highvein because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Both of your links went "Poof"

All gone.

Maybe it wasn't true?
Media seems to be getting busted a lot lately with they BS stories.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 06:06 PM
link   
my links are not working. whatever people can just type it in I guess.

www.nbcnews.com...
edit on 6-5-2020 by American-philosopher because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I guess there is also a update, what is the crime he committed?

timesofsandiego.com...

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 06:31 PM
link   

just checking it is 2020, thats 2020

ok, why would you argue in favour of someones right to do this, you value freedom to offend over common decency, you appreciate the violence assocated with this outfit and the violence it could bring, why would freedom to wear such a garment be valued above not being downright derogatory and offensive to a huge swath of society? If violence was to start from it and a fight break out I suppose the Afro American would be a fault?

Is the swastikka next to be lauded as something to bring back, how about your opinion on gay marriage or that sikh kid and his sword, you are for so much freedom in this case then why are you against these freedoms?

Sikh student allowed to bring religous sword to school

So sorry I know this story might be a little old but when I first heard it I was so angry

It is just unfathomable how we cater to every and any group in this country.

Catering to the KKK is ok though?

Am I a bigot?

She then tries to put me in a corner by asking if I would vote to pass same sex marriage. after I told her no

While I dont think you are a bigot, i barely know you, i find it odd that you were angry about the Sikh and verhemently against gay marriage but are quite happy about the mans right to wear a KKK outfit

To each their own.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 06:33 PM
link   
well we have no statements from hooded dude and even if it was some kind of protest for the mask ordinance generally tends to be unwise to wear klan regalia around willy nilly.but saying that i am unsure of any law he may have have broken (they may try for disorderly conduct i guess?) as the scotus has been quite clear hate speech is protected speech,so stupid sure as far as being illegal i cant come up with a law he may have broken off hand ,most of the laws banning klan hoods were prosecuted under antimask laws which i guess would not apply in the corona world where some jurisdictions are mandating wearing masks

www.cnn.com... OLD cnn link on the topic post mandated masks and is relevent to NY vs CA

CNN) -- Is wearing a masked hood at a public rally the same as shouting "Fire!" inside a crowded theater -- or is it closer in significance to burning an American flag? Legal rulings on what is protected under the First Amendment free-speech law have used the classic "yelling fire in a crowded theater" metaphor to describe an act that could endanger society -- and thus can be regulated. Burning a flag, on the other hand, has generally been considered a protest that should be protected. A 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals panel ruled on Tuesday that a New York state anti-mask law did not violate the free-speech rights of supremacist groups such as the Ku Klux Klan. Legal experts are divided on this ruling and whether it clarifies contradictory court decisions on wearing masks at public demonstrations.
and it later went to scotus based on anti mask laws being a ok www.irishtimes.com...

but again from 2004 when it was ruled on not now when masks are being mandated not banned so if i had to guess it was this gentleman's not exactly wise "protest of mandatory mask laws". i didnt see any charges so this may just blow over assuming he does not go around wearing same mask again ,guy could be a biggot who knows but thats my theory on this one at least

edit to add the cases were in regards to the ROBES and the hood in combo not the hood its self least in rulings ,i am not to smart with klan clothes do their masks usually have other markings other then being pointed and or white/purple/red? we dont have too many kluckers in NW montana so more used to dealing with neo nazis then klan members so admittedly ignorant of most klan clothes other then what i see in movies (o brother where out thou)
edit on 6-5-2020 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 06:34 PM
link   
He has a right to be an idiot..... like to see him wear that hood in a Chicago grocery store.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Awesome, now me and the boys can finally break ours out of deep closet storage. What a great idea!

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 06:40 PM
link   
It is stupid, inflammatory, unnecessary, and ineffective with regard to the purpose of the original directive to wear a mask while in public to curtail the spread of disease.

That said, yes, this person has every right to wear a KKK hood in public, given the right of free speech.

However...

Choosing to don a KKK-style hood, in-lieu of a more appropriate and effective face mask, seems to be a low-IQ tantrum expression doomed to result in counter productive consequences due to the simple fact that such apparel severely limits one peripheral vision...

Thus making it virtually impossible to see, and thus, avoid, taking a well-deserved baseball bat to the side of one’s head.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Your link is broke but I Googled and looked at a few pics. Looks to be homemade. I grew up in the days when the KKK still had cross burnings on Main Street in my town, had entries in the parades and even had their own shop in town for years. Had to look at that crap more than most people ever will.

It was a dark time. I hate to see someone wearing even an imitation, but he is within his rights no matter how offensive it is.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

That CNN article. The language and tone used in their articles is way, way, different compared to today.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Maybe he was hoping he would be ordered to remove it and then be left with no mask to wear ... Aw, shucks!

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I doubt that this guy was that ingenious Ket. I like your suggestion and rate it very near, ''he was ''looking for a date?''

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

I'm just thinking. He has to wear a mask or he gets jailed or fined, but he doesn't want to. So he thinks ... "What's the one mask no one will countenance me wearing in public? ... EUREKA!" and the genius goes out in a slipshod Klan hood figuring someone at this destination will order him to take it off. Then he can blame them if he gets caught.

Basically, following the letter of the law, but not the spirit.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Don't know which I'd prefer less, the hood or a pussy hat.

Maybe this...www.ebay.com...:g:Ae8AAOSwnpleSDHJ no hood though
edit on 6-5-2020 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

I just have a hard time thinking anyone, even an honest Klansman, would be dumb enough to go out in one to make that kind of statement.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Plotus

I just have a hard time thinking anyone, even an honest Klansman, would be dumb enough to go out in one to make that kind of statement.

a cat ears hat?

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 08:56 PM
link   
This type of story strikes me as one of those "who the hell cares?/Why is this even newsworthy?" articles intended to provide the masses with something uniquely divisive amongst the proles rather than anything that can potentially draw the proles together against the powers that be. Klansmen eat food same as anyone else does, so obviously they go grocery shopping. Do I think the guy was smart to do this? No... Do I think his Right to do it is valuable? Absolutely... Does him doing it affect me in any way whatsoever, realizing that he was shopping in the same store without the hood for who knows how long with zero incidents and nobody likely even knew he was a jackass? Not in the slightest.

I can't say I see any difference between this, an Islamic woman shopping in a burka, a Satanist shopping with a "666 All Hail The Beast" shirt, or a dude shopping with a Black Panthers armband on... all are within their rights to display their retardation for all to see and such information is purely beneficial for all of society to identify them as folks to keep eyes upon lest they go off the rails and take those around them by surprise. Nothing more.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 08:56 PM
link   
He should have worn a rainbow KKK hood.

That would have confused the easily outraaged for months!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join