It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Faces Meat Shortage While Pork Exports To China Soar

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Don't worry about a meat shortages here in the U.S.A. because China will be taken care of. In fact, they are buying so much more than they ever have before. Actually they bought 4 times more than a year ago. So, no need to worry about China getting their US supplied meat.

As for you and I, guess we are out of luck. No Bacon for you!

U.S. faces meat shortage while its pork exports to China soar

www.stltoday.com...

Beijing in February cleared more U.S. beef products for import after lifting a poultry ban late last year, and those sales have begun to increase, too.

Sales of U.S. pork and beef to China were especially elevated in April, but several U.S. slaughterhouses began to close last month due to outbreaks among employees of COVID-19, the respiratory disease caused by the new coronavirus. Animal slaughter has sharply declined, and fresh meat appears on its way to joining toilet paper on the “endangered” list at U.S. grocery stores.

The U.S. meat shortage and the Phase 1 goals of increasing exports to China seem to be opposing forces, raising the question of whether sales and shipments will or should be limited. Some restrictions would not be surprising given President Donald Trump’s more combative tone in his recent comments on trade with China.

Pork Exports Surged in March, Driven by Strong Chinese Buying
www.profarmer.com...

Data from the U.S. Department of Commerce shows the U.S. exported 701.6 million lbs. of pork during March, which was a 36% surge from year-ago levels and the first month for exports to ever exceed 700 million pounds. China was the main buyer, taking nearly 190.4 million lbs. of U.S. pork, which was more than afour-fold increase from shipments of 42.3 million lbs. in March 2019.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 05:30 PM
link   
There should be rules put in place that we don't sell to others if we're short. The prices of beef right now are pissing me off. They have doubled or tripled in the last few weeks. I am not going to pay $8-10/lb for bottom round or chuck roast.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I would say Chiba buying up US food resources is yet another tool in their Cold War against the US. They know the unrest this will cause among the US populace.

As above poster stated, time to shut down food exports. Well, except for the crap most Americans won’t eat, like quinoa!

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten
There should be rules put in place that we don't sell to others if we're short. The prices of beef right now are pissing me off. They have doubled or tripled in the last few weeks. I am not going to pay $8-10/lb for bottom round or chuck roast.

Which makes you wonder what China is paying if Americans are paying more.

They have to pay for shipping too. At the increased rates, it sounds like they're worried about future supply.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Well, they are having a huge problem with a disease that is killing their pigs.

link

WULONGQIAO, China — A devastating disease spreading from China has wiped out roughly one-quarter of the world’s pigs, reshaping farming and hitting the diets and pocketbooks of consumers around the globe.
China’s unsuccessful efforts to stop the disease may have hastened the spread — creating problems that could bedevil Beijing and global agriculture for years to come.

This is becoming a huge problem in China, hence the reason they are getting pork outside of China.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Lab4Us

Yep. Time to ban all exports of meat until they get this shortage figured out.

Supposedly the DOJ is being asked to investigate because the farmers can't give the animals away yet the price of meat is rising. Won't hold my breath on that one.

Also not for nothing, China owning one of our largest pork processing companies needs to be handled immediately. Time to ask our politicians who support the CCP buying up real estate and our nations food supply "why do you think this is ok?".

D or R, if they think it's okay, then it's time for them to go.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Jay-morris

Well isn't that just great.
How long before that makes it's way to the US?
Or is delivered here for us?

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
a reply to: Jay-morris

Well isn't that just great.
How long before that makes it's way to the US?
Or is delivered here for us?

Outbreaks like this has happened before, from all over the world.

Remember foot and mouth? That originated from
Argentina, and that spread all over the world. The way animals are treated all over the world, this will happen again and again.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

There should be rules put in place that we don't sell to others if we're short

You mean, you want to tell a business who they can and can't sell to? What you do take our representatives in DC for?

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I have to imagine as the world’s largest pork consumer, they’d have forward delivery contracts that are reflective of prices 60-90 days ago. Shipping cost are a rounding error in the US-China trading costs.

That doesn’t explain the year-over-year increases in March’s quantities, outside of the fact there knew what was to come. Stands to reason.

Every Saturday for the least 3 weeks, you could buy 40 lbs of chicken for $40 all around Wake County. They can barely give it away — talk about a disconnect.

I don’t see so much of conspiracy in this one. If next month’s numbers show similar trends, then we have something. But US meat shortages are regional or non-existent because they giving away chickens this Saturday for a 4th consecutive week.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Strange, here in the midwest neither supply or prices are a problem. I guess it helps when you know people who work at the local hog farm and are married to a person whose family raises cattle. I'm having problems making enough space in the chest freezer to store everything.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 06:46 PM
link   
The meat shortage is propaganda....
any meat shortage on the shelves is due to panic buying... mostly caused by MSM.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

You do know that China owns over 70% of Smithfield Pork, right?

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Cravens

Didn't even think about pork commodity futures being the reason. That makes total sense.

And honestly, we have to honor those contracts or no one will buy them in the future. You buy future contracts to hedge if something like this happens.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: CraftyArrow
any meat shortage on the shelves is due to panic buying... mostly caused by MSM.

I don't know. The local butcher shop (high quality and integrity) told me their suppliers keep raising the prices so they have to as well. Yeah, but twenty bucks a pound for ribeye? $25/lb for Porterhouse? Both were half that two weeks ago.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

thanks Trump every Democrat politician

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 08:20 PM
link   

I don't know. The local butcher shop (high quality and integrity) told me their suppliers keep raising the prices so they have to as well. Yeah, but twenty bucks a pound for ribeye? $25/lb for Porterhouse? Both were half that two weeks ago.

Sounds like Bill Gates plan is coming to fruition... lab-grown meat to the rescue.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Sounds like Bill Gates plan is coming to fruition... lab-grown meat to the rescue.

Screw that, I'll go back to hunting deer.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

I guess we can look at it this way:

If we're sending our disease free pork there. They aren't sending their contaminated crap here.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
a reply to: HalWesten

There should be rules put in place that we don't sell to others if we're short

You mean, you want to tell a business who they can and can't sell to? What you do take our representatives in DC for?

Why not? Half of the rest of you want to tell them when they can or cannot be open to do any business at all.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join