It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How's your practice going/New gun review/share your target practice

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 12:05 AM
link   
It's been months since I last visited a range. Between life, work, and the COVID BS it's been hard for me to do anything that I enjoy. My work has me working nights and my days off are random non-consecutive days. (I'll probably find another job at some point soon that actually gives me weekends off. Ridiculous.)

Anyways. I finally took a trip to the local gun range, because I wanted to see how rusty I've become. That, and I recently trsded in my PPQs for a M9A3. (Which will get lost in a boating accident in the next few days.)

First off no regrets! I've always liked Berettas. I trained with the 92 in the Navy, qualified expert on it, and coached other sailors to be able to shoot well with it as well.

So, when I saw a new one for the nice low price of 900 something dollars I went home cleaned my PPQs one last time and traded them in. Got the M9A3 for a little over $200 bucks. Score!

Anyways. I gotta say I'm impressed. The Vertec grip feels good in my hands, the hammer is easily pulled back with one hand operation, and the decocker is ambidextrous so I can easily use it in either hand without funny business.

It comes stock with night sights. While I normally abhor nights sights, these night sights aren't too distracting, They also aren't oversized, which is awesome, because I hate huge iron sights.

The slide is smooth and racking it back either partially to check a chambered round or all the way back feels somehow more easy than natural.

The trigger is nice and smooth, very little travel in the reset, and the gun is easily controllable during rapid shooting.

I blasted about 250 rounds off today and only had two instances where the slide didn't lock back after the last round was fired. After some testing I found it to be a magazine issue (of course). I fixed it, and the issue went away.

Here is the result of my rustiness on the last target of the day.

imgur.com...

(Sorry, had to use imgur because ATS won't let me upload cell phone pictures.)

I'd love to see your target practice photos as well. So, if ya got em show em. Don't be shy!

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Well, my puppies get coyote pressure.....used to have 2 but.....so my 6 inch S W 44 mag with the Garrett dangerous African game ammo....is so accurate with my holograph dot........90 yds hit a coke can.......the trigger gets the credit, man....not me! He he....I just have the thought and my gun leaps in my hand.....so load 5 and have the first trigger pull hit a used brass....touchy, they build em that touchy I guess.....Alaska in July, if we really go......son is treating us....airfare 300 bucks roundtrip each. He he

True story....today round trip Dallas to Anchorage....300 each will I get a flight attendant to myself....

edit on 6-5-2020 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-5-2020 by GBP/JPY because: IN THE FINE TEXAS TRADITION

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I used to be very good..been awhile(decades). Since having cataracts, I can no longer use my dominant eye, I might try left eyed, but I don't know I can be the shot I used to.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I use both eyes open with the holograph dot sight...which ever picture has the dot covering the target ...pop.......oh....80 bucks and stays true on a 44 mag shooting 90,000 cup pressure almost...a reply to: vonclod

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

Hope ya get to go, and have fun!

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

I'm a 1st Responder, guitar keyboard player with a right hand skin allergy... swells, cracks n bleeds...touching gun bluing, any chrome or Nickle...faucets, store knobs...u name it

Gone down to a simple Taurus 9mm slim PT 709...but I've moved my concealed location to 11 o'clock in front so I can just "be there" already when driving...

Gonna have to switch to my left hand...take some tips from an instructor/range master. Am way overdue at range and it's packed anyway...
edit on 6-5-2020 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
I used to be very good..been awhile(decades). Since having cataracts, I can no longer use my dominant eye, I might try left eyed, but I don't know I can be the shot I used to.

Hey! I always tell people who cares if you can't shoot a bullseye, you put enough lead in em the docs won't be able to sort em out.

Give it a shot. Might surprise yourself. I can use either eye for sight picture, and even though it goes against the popular theory I believe most, if not all, people can use either eye. When I was training sailors I would have them wear a pair of eye-pro that covered their dominant eye and have them shoot. Quite a few of them shot fairly well after some practice. The ones who didn't.. well, they were the ones who needed the most help to begin with lol

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I restored an old Adams & Co side by side 12guage over the weekend.
1889 model I think. Exposed hammers, Damascus barrelling

I’m afraid to fire the old thing though.

I also restored an old Astra .357 revolver over the last two weeks but I don’t want to share the target practice results of that particular handgun. They’re not good.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Yeesh. I feel for ya. If ya got any buddies with a decent amount of land outside of city limits ya might be able to shoot while the sun is up.

Oh, and you might be able to call ahead of time and reserve a spot at the range.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 12:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY
I use both eyes open with the holograph dot sight...which ever picture has the dot covering the target ...pop.......oh....80 bucks and stays true on a 44 mag shooting 90,000 cup pressure almost...a reply to: vonclod

Thanks!

I wish my dad was still around..he had the cool toys. I liked his Ruger .41 mag, simple but fun.

We'll have to see what happens here, I expect Trudeau to go after handguns next.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 12:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1

Hey! I always tell people who cares if you can't shoot a bullseye, you put enough lead in em the docs won't be able to sort em out.

Give it a shot. Might surprise yourself. I can use either eye for sight picture, and even though it goes against the popular theory I believe most, if not all, people can use either eye. When I was training sailors I would have them wear a pair of eye-pro that covered their dominant eye and have them shoot. Quite a few of them shot fairly well after some practice. The ones who didn't.. well, they were the ones who needed the most help to begin with lol

Good to know..thanks!

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Breakthestreak

Oooooooh. Lemme shoot it. I have a soft spot for shotguns. Especially old ones. And an Adams & Co? Best believe I wanna see some pictures. I love those shotguns.

You're not alone in that. Anything past 3 yards with a revolver I'm gonna miss more than hit the target.

I almost raged quit the last time I shot one. A buddy of mine rented a little revolver, and he wasn't shooting well with it. So, I wanted to try it out. Missed. Missed again. And then hit the edge of the paper.

So, I reallllly focused, and zeroed in on the center x. Controlled my breathing, squeezed the trigger nice and slow. Which took forever on a revolver with no hammer. And missed. I was done with it. Couldn't believe it. The paper was like ten feet out. I was done with that nonsense.

I want to say that it's more than likely the BS snub nose revolvers. Only thing they're good for is close quarters.

I don't know too many people with revolvers. I might rent a full size revolver and see how well I shoot with that. I'll share pictures of that.

It'll probably look like a shotgun blast lol.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 12:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY

Thanks!

I wish my dad was still around..he had the cool toys. I liked his Ruger .41 mag, simple but fun.

We'll have to see what happens here, I expect Trudeau to go after handguns next.

I don't want this thread to turn to politics, but if that happens I would expect to see a crowd of people throwing rocks at him. Softly, ya know. Just to send a message.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 12:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1

Yeesh. I feel for ya. If ya got any buddies with a decent amount of land outside of city limits ya might be able to shoot while the sun is up.

Oh, and you might be able to call ahead of time and reserve a spot at the range.

Yeah, Im on it. Island Lake State Rec Area (Michigan) has an outdoor range...will check w R. Master

Thank you...be well

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 12:48 AM
link   
There is a nice range not very far from me. Been planning on trying it for a little while. Just checked it again and it still has a message up.

"NOTICE: The US Forest Service has closed the shooting range."

Covid19, the thing that ate all the fun.

edit on 5 6 2020 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

*See my reply above

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 12:49 AM
link   

You as well!

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

Yeah it’s my only revolver. It looks cool and feels good in my hand but that’s about it.

The old shotgun just has a little bit of play between the barrel and breech but it’s enough that I can see a gap when it’s closed and I just don’t want it to blow apart if I ever fire it.

The old rounds had a much longer metal sleeve than a modern cartridge but I was just going to get one of the old boys down at the range to give a look over first.

It’s at my dads place at the moment or I’d snap a picture but that the marble-type pattern of the Damascus just makes it look so good.

Not sure if they’re worth a whole lot but it’s the only Adams & Co I’ve ever seen in real life so yeah, it’s a bit of a treat just holding it.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Y'all live near each other? Color me green lol. I'd love to hang out with some of y'all and spend a day on the range shooting and conversating.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Breakthestreak

Oh yeah. Damascus on a rifle is just sexy. Talk about making me sweat. Haha.

But I've seen those shotguns sell for over $2000. You might have a real gem sitting there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join