It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World of McIntosh (Audiophile) Townhouse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Being a fan of the audiophile hobby I thought it would be cool to post something that is a bit different then what is normally going on in the world.

Doesn't make a difference if you are entry level, mid range or high end specialty range McIntosh has a certain appeal,legacy , appeal to many fans.

Its not uncommon to find people selling McIntosh stereo gear from the 60s on Ebay or via dealers for thousands of dollars.
Both tube and solid state items are built like tanks and are typically in the mid range price wise meaning even going used you are looking at spending a few grand on something.

Prior to the shutdown of the world it was possible to tour this townhouse and hopefully it will be again when the world opens up for those that would enjoy it

Located in the SOHO area of NYC you have the McIntosh Townhouse which was shown in Mr. Robot among other things.
It's comprised of McIntosh gear, Sonus Faber Speakers Pro-Ject, Audio Research and a few others.

worldofmcintosh.com...

edit on 4-5-2020 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

Oh man so sweet. Never got to that level with my own system but always have dreamed.

Thanks for posting that is awesome.

posted on May, 5 2020 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColoradoJens

Oh man so sweet. Never got to that level with my own system but always have dreamed.

I get that feeling. LOL
Every time I am about to pull the trigger on a used piece of McIntosh Gear I hold off thinking do I really need it.
One day!

posted on May, 5 2020 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

originally posted by: ColoradoJens

I get that feeling. LOL
Every time I am about to pull the trigger on a used piece of McIntosh Gear I hold off thinking do I really need it.
One day!

Yeah its like buying a car!

Stereo systems used to be the way for everyone. Now most people use a crappy bluetooth speaker for their music.

Sad. A little off topic but at one point the Nakamichi reversing tape deck was a super sweet item lol.

The tape actually turns and flips automatically for you!

(Looks like there is a used one on ebay for only $2800!)

edit on 5-5-2020 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2020 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: ColoradoJens

That's a great shot.

When I was younger everything for me was , even then, McIntosh, Adcom, NAD or Naka running through B&W speakers or the JBL classics that everyone drools over. =)

My current config , listed below, is higher end budget hifi and for the cost I love how it sounds but you know the danger of audiophile as a hobby.. =)

Onkyo A-9010 IA
Marantz HD-DAC1
AT LP120 (no mods like preamp removal or tonearm)
Definitive Tech D7 Bookshelf speakers
Source is primarily Tidal HiFi or Amazon HD.

posted on May, 5 2020 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Thats still a great set up! Isn't it amazing how speakers, for the price, used to be WAY better?

My little old Klipsch KG2's were the bomb and I think I got them for $300 for the pair?

I am so sad I sold them when I moved to NY to help me get plane ticket out.

The little Audio Engine speakers I have now are like a bluetooth speaker compared.

I have a Pro-ject turntable but no it is not like those in the video.

And Im still a little confused on active/non active speakers. I never used active before and they seem limiting.
edit on 5-5-2020 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

top topics

join