It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. imposes new rules on state-owned Chinese media over propaganda concerns

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on May, 4 2020 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Trump is endlessly doing good things in the USA.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Trump administration said on Tuesday said it will begin treating five major Chinese state-run media entities with U.S. operations the same as foreign embassies, requiring them to register their employees and U.S. properties with the State Department.

One official said that the disclosures would help the State Department better understand how the entities operate in the United States.

U.S. imposes new rules on state-owned Chinese media over propaganda concerns

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Doctor Smith

I think we set this precedent with RT. Personally I'm not a fan, it should be personal responsibility to distinguish whether a source is credible or not. I see the death of critical thinking as one of the biggest threats to the world along with trying to make personal responsibility taboo.

Why would anyone ask their government to tell them what a legitimate outlet is?

Our government has been just as sloppy as China on all of this, my trust for them isn't much higher.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 01:32 PM
link   

FEBRUARY 18, 2020

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 01:40 PM
link   

This does note bode well.

Nazi Propaganda & Censorship - US Holocaust Museum, Holocaust Encyclopedia

edit on 4/5/2020 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Masisoar

FEBRUARY 18, 2020

And I'm the 1st to post it that I know of.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

This is about foreign propaganda not domestic. Doesnt compare to nazism yet.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: cognizant420

This is about foreign propaganda not domestic. Doesnt compare to nazism yet.

And domestic propaganda is legal.

We all know China's government is a dictatorship, and as untrustworthy as it gets... So I guess I don't see the significance of my government pointing it out and regulating it while they allow themselves to push their own propaganda on the public.

To me, it's unnecessary, but can later have the lines blurred to silence other outlets.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Ask the people in Taiwan which form of government they prefer.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

And domestic propaganda is legal.

Thought there was some really important info buried in this video about the future of western corporate media and the 'donors' positioning themselves as the new ministry of truth.

Could be wrong but I think it might get to the stage where the 'news media' is an actual threat to national security.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 02:28 PM
link   

I agree with your sentiment, however if a company being run by a foreign government wants to operate within the US. Having them register with the State Dept makes sense.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 02:28 PM
link   

I agree with your sentiment, however if a company being run by a foreign government wants to operate within the US. Having them register with the State Dept makes sense.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

I think we set this precedent with RT. Personally I'm not a fan, it should be personal responsibility to distinguish whether a source is credible or not. I see the death of critical thinking as one of the biggest threats to the world along with trying to make personal responsibility taboo.

And how does a person establish credibility of anything these days when anyone can mask who they are? Is this about censorship or just identifying bad actors?

I think it would be nice to know XYZ news group has staffing that is affiliated with the official communist China Goverment. This would be great in helping me to "distinguish whether a source is credible or not"... Wouldn't you think?

edit on 4-5-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

If it's a Chinese company, I just assume it's acting on the behalf of the state. Same with Russia for that matter.

Even before domestic propaganda was made legal, I knew ours operated in a similar manner with a different structure. Whether that be them only sourcing privy government sources, the influx of unnamed sources, or the fact they had become conglomarized. You think they're going to be critical of a war when the ad slots are filled with companies reliant on defense contracts? Why are those ads running when they offer nothing for a consumer?

We all say it here that the media landscape is absolute garbage right now... So why on earth would we want the same government complicit with aspects on how we've gotten here to sterilize the field more? I get it, China is out for them and them alone, but I can distinguish that and don't need my government to tell me. This is unnecessary at best, foundation pouring at worst for later measures.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Doctor Smith

Ask the people in Taiwan which form of government they prefer.

I don't live in Taiwan, I live in the states.... And this has nothing to do with them, but my country.

We have free speech and an open society... What will this do? Nothing.

They'll just show up as trolls on the internet... So what do we do then, start policing whats acceptable internet behavior and speech?

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 05:14 PM
link   

We should outlaw propaganda in the USA . Any news outlet is the government talking to you . The government uses the news to tell you everything they want you to believe

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 05:32 PM
link   

That would be a false equivalence. China has no free press and their operations worldwide are propaganda arms of the Chinese government.

What China does to its own citizens, by having nothing but government controlled propaganda hidden under the guise of media, is the same as the Nazi controlled propaganda.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

That would be a false equivalence. China has no free press and their operations worldwide are propaganda arms of the Chinese government.

What China does to its own citizens, by having nothing but government controlled propaganda hidden under the guise of media, is the same as the Nazi controlled propaganda.

Not all of the Chinese press is under the control of the Chinese government. The press support for the Hong Kong protests are clear evidence.

But, apparently, it has escaped you that the US has a 'less free' press now, too.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thenail

We should outlaw propaganda in the USA . Any news outlet is the government talking to you . The government uses the news to tell you everything they want you to believe

Problem is, who deems what propaganda?

As we can already see, everyone has a different list.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 05:56 PM
link   

The press support for the Hong Kong protests are clear evidence.

Can you cite an occurrence of this ?
From an official Chinese news group.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Not a fan... once you start labeling news propaganda its real easy to get anyone that you dont like/disagree with silenced.

Didnt like it when they hit RT disagree with it here as well.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join