It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will COVID-19 be the Saving Grace for Small Town America?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Our firm has allowed limited work from home in the past. During this time, all of our badges were turned off and we could not go in to the office. I work harder and longer hours from home than in the office since I don't have to make the drive. I live in a semi-rural area. Very lightly populated county. Moved here 20 years ago. Grew up in a small town so the big city was fun for awhile. Then the crowds became too much. I drive 35 miles one way for the pleasure of no street lights. Our neighborhood has about 60 houses and most have never met. We like it that way. We are now working towards retirement and moving farther away.

As to tracking productivity, our company at any time can check every key stroke you make. There is always some way to make sure people are actually working - the biggest being results!

They are now considering allowing more work from home as things open back up. They will be able to lease less office space if more people work from home which helps the bottom line. That line is all that matters.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: American-philosopher
a reply to: Foreshadow

basically if people moved from the big cities they would change their politics not take them with them.

is that clear?

That's not exactly true.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 10:11 PM
link   
PITA POV Disclaimer Warning

I currently live where I cannot see any neighbors and I like it that way. "Town" is about 10 miles away. However, living on your own where you are responsible for everything is not for everyone. It takes a lot of work that people who live in an urban/suburban setting never even think about.

When things are normal, the city has attractions and things to do. Now? There is little to nothing of that. So you have few outlets, high rent, and four walls. Yippee!

If I had to guess, only a small handful will relocate afterwards. They will be excited all their restaurants, shops, and shows are open again. They will forget what happened. They can return to a way of life where the whole place is set up to cater to their entertainment. The thought of moving to some little town in the mid-west or down south will smell like cold fish to them.

posted on May, 5 2020 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

And for those that state this planet is overpopulated. I encourage you to take a drive thru Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico and Arizona. Nothing but dirt and rocks for thousands of miles. Overpopulation as a whole is a huge farce. only in the cities are we overpopulated.

Absolutely. I live in the Chicago area and take a summer road trip nearly every year out west. It's amazing how much empty space there is. I've heard that you can fit the entire population of the world just in Texas with something like 10 square feet per person. The planet is NOT overpopulated, only the cities are.

posted on May, 5 2020 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: Subsonic

No....not so much. When the city types move in, they dont interact very much at all with the rural small town population much past shopping in the stores and occasionally eating at the restaurants. The reason for this goes beyond the political divide. It goes to the cultural divide. The rural population travels in entirely different circles from the mostly more wealty city population. So, for example, a big part of rural life is Church. The City people dont go to church. The city people, for the most part, dont interact with much of anyone outside their circle. And the same can be said of the indigenous rural population. Instead of greater understanding and cooperation, there is just as much, if not more, friction , frustration and hatred.

For example, rural Town and County politics is based upon 100 or more relationships developed among the long established rural population. Politics is very insular and fraught with fraud and corruption which is generally tolerated because there is a rotation at the trough of money from which tax payer dollars are stolen. Seeing this, the new arrivals try to make changes by running for office only to find themselves angered and frustrated by the endimic level of election fraud. And the election fraud is so well established that it cant even be rooted out. The mayor of a small town near me has stolen the last three elections. She was investigated for vote fraud 3 times, found guilty 3 times and ........nothing happened and shes back in office after serving a 6 month prison sentence after being found guilty of stealling city funds. Shes never served a day in jail for stealing elections.

So, yeah.....changes are happening........just not necessarily what everyone might hope for.

I understand that, and that is a legitimate concern. I remember back in my college days in a small midwest town, the college kids never really interacted much with the 'townies'. In fact there was some legit distrust between the two groups. I guess what I'm saying is that there's a CHANCE that the two groups might learn something about each other in the process of living near each other, even if it's just a surface understanding. I think when people have to see each other face to face, they are more likely to be respectful and attempt to be understanding. But maybe I'm hopelessly naive?

posted on May, 5 2020 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets
These big cities could become like malls. It was great for a while but no value in them anymore. Crime, environmental damage, pollution, pandemic concern, weak green spaces.

That's actually not too far from what I think is already happening. Cities are turning into entertainment centers - a place to spend a weekend eating at nice restaurants, catch a ballgame, visit a museum, etc. A nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there!

posted on May, 5 2020 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Foreshadow
Just for a different perspective... I live in small town USA ( population 1300 ) Just about everything is the way it was before the "Wutang" Virus. Restaurants and Gas Stations are still open as well as the local computer repair guy. The local Bridal/Prom dress gal has closed down, but do to circumstances, You can see why.

I'm all for more people moving out of the City and getting some clean country air. Just don't bring Your baggage with You.

I thoroughly enjoy waving at complete strangers and they wave back. I like the fact that my Neighbors kids can go ride their bikes without a care in the world, and if they fell down, someone would have a bandaid ready.

I also like the fact that My Neighbors bought new Guns and Ammunition with the Corona Virus Aid Package. It's a peaceful lifestyle and if My car breaks down, I know Donny and the rest of the gang have My back.

Oh, We also have firepits and cook for one another.

I've lived in San Fran, Chicago and Denver back in the day, and it's just not for Me. Perhaps I'm an old Man now at 39 lol

That sounds great. And I actually think most people would prefer to live in an environment like this. The main reason my friends who still live in the city stay is for work. That's it. So if a good chunk of the population that works in the information sector and can work from home, even if it's just most of the time and maybe come into the office once a week or several times per month, I think most folks would move out of the cities.

posted on May, 5 2020 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: TXTriker
Our firm has allowed limited work from home in the past. During this time, all of our badges were turned off and we could not go in to the office. I work harder and longer hours from home than in the office since I don't have to make the drive. I live in a semi-rural area. Very lightly populated county. Moved here 20 years ago. Grew up in a small town so the big city was fun for awhile. Then the crowds became too much. I drive 35 miles one way for the pleasure of no street lights. Our neighborhood has about 60 houses and most have never met. We like it that way. We are now working towards retirement and moving farther away.

As to tracking productivity, our company at any time can check every key stroke you make. There is always some way to make sure people are actually working - the biggest being results!

They are now considering allowing more work from home as things open back up. They will be able to lease less office space if more people work from home which helps the bottom line. That line is all that matters.

Yup, you said the magic word, 'Results'. This is the bottom line - if you can work from home only 4 hours a day and play Xbox the rest of the day, but get the same results you get working in the office for 8 hours, then you're better off working from home.

I would say I actually work less hours when I work from home, but I get the same amount or more work done most days. It can be a challenge sometimes though since I have school-age kids and currently have to help them with their E-Learning stuff, so that's a difficulty, but if I could be home alone all day working from home, I'd be much more efficient.

posted on May, 5 2020 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO
Country life sounds pretty damn good right now.

And for those that state this planet is overpopulated. I encourage you to take a drive thru Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico and Arizona. Nothing but dirt and rocks for thousands of miles. Overpopulation as a whole is a huge farce. only in the cities are we overpopulated.

I like your point. Maybe this will more evenly distribute our population. So these twat elites at the top, stop talking about population control.

There is a reason why those spaces are empty they are uninhabitable and they are unfit for growing food.... although with an alternative type system developed they may be able to be used.. but in my opinion it would take a good-sized group of people to make a go of it in those types of areas

posted on May, 5 2020 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Not to Mention nearly every small town has an Industrial Park that had a few companies and some fairly good jobs right in the community. Most are half full at best now people should be backing out of China for security purposes perhaps more jobs.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join