It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will people stick to their buy American convictions

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 09:04 PM
link   
As a FedEx delivery driver, I can tell you that business has never been this busy. The packages I'm delivering are the same old Chinese crap as before. All that stimulus money went right back to China. We're actually delivering about 60% more than we were during peak season which is from Thanksgiving to Christmas.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anathros
As a FedEx delivery driver, I can tell you that business has never been this busy. The packages I'm delivering are the same old Chinese crap as before. All that stimulus money went right back to China. We're actually delivering about 60% more than we were during peak season which is from Thanksgiving to Christmas.

Tsk tsk tsk, that's unfortunate...
Good for you and job security though!

posted on May, 5 2020 @ 04:22 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm And if you do the research any big name item is made from a different country,the world is a giant corporation with designated areas ,their is already a 1 world government,people refuse to believe it because of illusion the TV makes

posted on May, 5 2020 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Tariffs are to raise the price of a good to offset the lower labor cost as a disincentive to a company wanting to locate manufacturing in China.

But you and I both know they don't impact the producing company, they impact the end user who, with the current shutdowns, can even less afford price increases.

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
But..... I see a lot of conservatives scream no more Made in China, and then head right over to Hobby Lobby and fill their carts with tons of Made in China stuff, then go to Walmart and do the same thing. I hope this pandemic changes things, but I don't feel like it will.
I think people are addicted to cheap goods.

Well, it isn't like we have a lot of choices right now... I do my best, and buy from local farmers and coops, but I can't get everything I need from them (TP is one of those things)...

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Edumakated
Tariffs are to raise the price of a good to offset the lower labor cost as a disincentive to a company wanting to locate manufacturing in China.

But you and I both know they don't impact the producing company, they impact the end user who, with the current shutdowns, can even less afford price increases.

Recent poll says Americans willing to pay more for non-China made products. Of course, people say a lot of things until they actually have to dig into their pockets...

78% Of Americans Willing to Pay More for non-China made products

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I am not just willing to pay more, I frequently do, but I'm sure those people have a limit just like I do as well.

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl

But..... I see a lot of conservatives scream no more Made in China, and then head right over to Hobby Lobby and fill their carts with tons of Made in China stuff, then go to Walmart and do the same thing. I hope this pandemic changes things, but I don't feel like it will.
I think people are addicted to cheap goods.

Well, it isn't like we have a lot of choices right now... I do my best, and buy from local farmers and coops, but I can't get everything I need from them (TP is one of those things)...

TP is such a good example (although I do believe a lot of made here in the US)

Take something like TP, or plastics, like bags, cups, etc. Cheap disposable things.
The average consumer will not pay double for those kinds of items. I have found that many made in America items are often, 2-3-4 even 9 times the price of foreign goods.

I think it becomes more tangible with cars and higher end items, but even with those it is so convoluted as parts come from so many different places.

I think there are some items that must be made here, like medicine and medical equipment. If we don't start manufacturing it here we are stupid.

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 07:59 AM
link   

The average consumer will not pay double for those kinds of items. I have found that many made in America items are often, 2-3-4 even 9 times the price of foreign goods.

They wouldn't be if we simply passed laws requiring all manufacturers who wish to sell to us to follow all of the same regulations that domestic manufacturers must follow - all of them (so pay, unions, environmental regulations, everything).

Problem solved (imports are just as expensive as local).
edit on 22-5-2020 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I think there are some items that must be made here, like medicine and medical equipment. If we don't start manufacturing it here we are stupid

I agree, that would be prudent. I just wonder how much more we would get charged for our medicine.
2,3,6 times current prices would be disastrous.

Although this discussion is welcomed,
A lot of this is obviously a lot easier said than done.

Respectfully,
~meathead

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join