It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Signs Executive Order Shielding Nation's Power Grid From Attack

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 12:30 PM
link   

edit on 5 4 2020 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracytheoristIAM
a reply to: Doctor Smith.

You might want to read what I posted above !!

Someone that knows how to use Google. You would never know if President Trump did something good with the biased media. One less worry for us. Don't trust foreign potential enemies. If you want to remain an American instead of dead vote for Trump.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

That vulnerability is to attack, I am referring to failure in general. This executive order does not address that.

While it is a great move to remove one problem, it doesn't make the overall situation with the power grid any safer.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge
a reply to: LSU2018

That vulnerability is to attack, I am referring to failure in general. This executive order does not address that.

While it is a great move to remove one problem, it doesn't make the overall situation with the power grid any safer.

what types of failures are you exactly talking about???????????

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Doctor Smith

Electromagnetic pulse, Carrington event, general overload causing cascade failure for the whole system, coordinated physical attack on strategic power lines, the things that will put us literally into the dark ages for a little while or for generations.

Take down the whole power grid and the nuclear reactors melt down in a few weeks. Starvation is not a worry when you are radioactive.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Take down the whole power grid and the nuclear reactors melt down in a few weeks.

How?

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
a reply to: Doctor Smith

What US networks are owned by either Soros or China? I know of none. There are of course connections between the networks and China but from what I can gather that is because the parent companies of those networks want to do business in China with theme parks and such and so will lean towards friendship with them. But that does not mean that those networks are owned by China.

Soros as well owns no networks. And sure he donates to NPR and other liberal oriented media but from what I could find he does not own any of them.

That's like saying, "they aren't cutting your throat with a sword they are using a switch blade instead".

How much more do you need.

China’s Long Tentacles Extend Deep Into American Media

U.S. imposes new rules on state-owned Chinese media over propaganda concerns

This stuff is better than my original post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Doctor Smith

originally posted by: JinMI
Is this the hardening of the grid that has been trying to get passed for a couple decades?

He's talking about protection from an EMP pulse.

Electromagnetic Pulse. Which could take down the entire USA grid. Causing massive starvation etc. I don't know If they are working on that or not. Better chance with a President that is actually on our side instead of the bribed figureheads of the past. Not my job to protect the grid or it would have been done.

Then this has been in the works for quite some time.

Actually long overdue. The Kerrington event showed the need.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

All nuclear reactors must have cooling water flow to shut down. This takes many months to get the core cool enough to not melt itself down. They all have diesel powered generators with a few days of fuel, then a few hours of battery power. When that is used up, they will just sit there and boil away their water slowly. This will take from a week to a month depending on the design, then they melt through the containment vesel. Next is the concrete. Then when they hit ground water, there will be a steam explosion spreading the core material into the environment.

Unlike an atomic attack, in which the radiation weakens to a relatively safe level in a month or two, the reactors can keep on spewing radioactive material for several hundred years. It’s the curse that keeps on giving.

This almost happened to a reactor in Alabama several years ago when tornados took out the power lines to a plant in multiple locations and the roads were blocked. They managed to refuel the generators while they rebuilt the power lines.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

As someone who has worked in protecting critical infrastructure from cyber attacks, I'm very curious as to where you're getting your information from. It doesn't really line up with anything I've seen in actual practice.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 01:20 PM
link   

This takes many months to get the core cool enough to not melt itself down. They all have diesel powered generators with a few days of fuel, then a few hours of battery power.

That is not correct.

How long does it take to cool down a reactor?

There are design specific variables there. The easiest way to answer that question is that NRC regulatory requirements for emergency power supplies is that they be available on the order of a month. Source

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Your source says emergency cooling will be available for weeks. Does that mean that they have plans to truck in fuel for the generators to every reactor in the United States at the same time and for months? I don't see that happening.

I dont think they plan on all reactors needing diesel at the same time.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 01:31 PM
link   
If Biden is elected you can guarantee the China contracts will be flowing right back in. With his kids sitting on the boards of their companies.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

Historic records of past events, Carrington Event. Looking at topographic maps and seeing vulnerabilities, where power lines cross in the middle of nowhere.

Cyber attacks while they are easier to cordinate and carry out are small potatos to physical attacks from an organised group.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Does that mean that they have plans to truck in fuel for the generators to every reactor in the United States at the same time and for months?

No, it means it's there already as required by the NRC.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Think of it this way. If the whole power grid went down, who is going to corodinate the diesel deliveries to the reactors? If it takes one tanker per day to one reactor site, that means with 60 operating plants in the us, you are going to make 60 deliveries every day for 6 or more months without any power grid and without running out of fuel? Oh, this does not take into account more fuel for some plants with several reactors and additional military reactor sites.

That is over 86 million gallons of diesel not counting the fuel to move it and without refineries running based on 8000 gallons per tanker for 6 months.

I don't see it happening.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Ok, but what does 5G have to do with 5Ghz? 5G is a comunication protocol and 5Ghz is a frequency.

I'm assuming it travels in the 5ghz range?

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

5G in the name of the fifth generation of a communication protocol. While it includes 5Ghz, that has nothing to do with it.

5G

The OP did not understand it at first ether.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Think of it this way. If the whole power grid went down, who is going to corodinate the diesel deliveries to the reactors?

There's nothing to coordinate, the fuel is already there as required by the NRC.

And your ideas about diesel generator fuel consumption are way overinflated.

edit on 4-5-2020 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer but he does have Corona

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

Oh absolutely, even if you put a plant into a bubble the easiest way to take it down is with a .308 popping transformers in the switch yard. The lead time on replacements for transmission even for massive electric companies is months, it's a very fragile system both physically and from a cyber perspective. My ask was from the standpoint of part of cyber is conducting a business impact analysis.

Heck I know of a few cooling sites for coal and natural gas sites that if you were able to compromise the dam on the water storage it would take a decade to refill. I don't think a team of sappers is going to be able to coordinate the effort on that one however. It's not like we're dealing with HYDRA here or anything comparable. A cyber attack is much more likely to occur, and with much greater ease. I know the DOE was looking into moving the distribution grid back to electro-mechanical, which doesn't really solve the root problem, but it makes the attack vector exponentially more difficult.

A Carrington Event situation however, yeah put your head between your knees because no one is prepped for that.

Edit: On the topic of nuke sites, yeah, they are not connected to anything as a matter of principle. So you would in fact have to physically cause damage in some fashion, which much like the HYDRA mention above, doesn't really exist.
edit on 5/4/20 by Hypntick because: Additional info

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join