It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

P-8 of VP-8 with APS-154 Advanced Airborne Sensor

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: FredT

Not at the same time. Running one at a time, they should.

posted on May, 7 2020 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: FredT
I agree with Zaph, you couldn't run them both simultaneously. But then again I dont know if the P-8's generating capacity is uprated over a standard 737NG anyway. I know the E-7 Wedgetail has uprated generators, you can see the bulge in the cowls where they sit. I suppose you could add a second generator to each engine but that would require a custom gearbox pad and more bulges. It might be possible to use the APU inflight with a higher output generator, that would be efficient as you only turn it on when you need it. However most APU's have an operating envelope for inflight starts and operation which aren't as high as the operating altitude for many of these missions. Thats one reason to go to a larger airframe like a 767/A-330/787, they have bigger motors that can more easily run bigger generators.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Well, they have already put it to use looking at the ChiCOms massive sub base

www.thedrive.com...

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Imagine the EM data an F35 would pick up as well.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 04:44 AM
link   
If these are being replaced with leased time on the North Korean platform I don't want to know.

www.eurasiantimes.com...

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Scapegrace

In order for MAD to work the aircraft has to fly low over the water. I don't know about now, but, I remember reading something about the Soviets putting SA-7 heat seeking missiles in their periscopes. With all of the developments bein made in UUV's it wouldn't surprise me if you couldn't deploy one to knock down a low flying ASW aircraft. If you use drones equipped with MAD, then your coverage area is bigger and you reduce the chances of your P-8 getting knocked down.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join