It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quarantine tomahawks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Phone just bugged out and posted before I was ready lol.

Hope you all are doing well! I got two 2.5 pound tomahawks that have been hit with salt and in the fridge for two days.

Going to smoke them for about an hour to an hour and a half to par cook and then reverse sear them over a wood fire.

It's about 80 degrees here and I'm gonna enjoy this weather one way or the other.
edit on 3-5-2020 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Ummm...nice...

I haven’t had one of those since last summer...

Makes them porterhouses I grilled the other day seem like dog food...

(Nah...they was damned tasty)

Now...Ima going to have to break down and get me some...

Thanks for helping me with my menu ingredients man...

YouSir

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Good steak is good steak. The store was actually out of like 90% of beef cuts they normally have. I didn't want to spend half the amount for something I wouldn't really enjoy so I decided to go all out.

I got a par baked garlic bastard and soubdough loaf. I'll pop those bad boys in the oven and act like I did something got fresh ish bread. Roasted garlic compond butter for those.

Corn on the cob.

Garlic mash yukons... And I made a batch of bone broth yesterday, so I'll use some of that to make a gravy.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Those look like pretty awesome cuts. I haven't had a ribeye in a few years, though.

I've never smoked them, but my uncle slow oven-roasts a boneless prime rib every Christmas after letting it age for for two weeks or so.

I've just always marinated and grilled them.

edit on 3-5-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Ummm...oh...glad you mentioned the bone broth...I just made some the other day...

Thanks for that as well...

Tasty...

YouSir

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

With steaks this big it helps to park cook them and then reverse sear so you can get the internals where you eat while keeping it tender. And honestly, I like a reverse sear better now a lot of the times. The fat has had a chance to render, so it will kick the flames up quick, and get a nice crus which I love. It's not burnt, because I like it that way hahaha. But I keep a good med rare.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I have to use my smoker this summer. I didn't use it once last summer. I like smoked turkey. I should go buy a small turkey before they disappear out of the stores. I got lots of chickens in the freezer, but no turkey.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Yum Yum, sounds great.

With meat shortages coming soon eat like a King while you can.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I have to use my smoker this summer. I didn't use it once last summer. I like smoked turkey. I should go buy a small turkey before they disappear out of the stores. I got lots of chickens in the freezer, but no turkey.

Electric?

I've never smoked anything too large, and just a barrel grill and offset/indirect heat.

Some wings, chicken thighs/drums, sausages, pork loin, all can be done in 2 hours or less. I did smoke a butt and chunk of beef for some Brunswick Stew a couple years ago, and those cuts took close to 8.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 10:32 PM
link   

I miss Yukon Gold potatoes. Very rare treat anymore as it seems all anyone grows is Russets...

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

originally posted by: rickymouse

Electric?

I've never smoked anything too large, and just a barrel grill and offset/indirect heat.

Some wings, chicken thighs/drums, sausages, pork loin, all can be done in 2 hours or less. I did smoke a butt and chunk of beef for some Brunswick Stew a couple years ago, and those cuts took close to 8.

Mine uses either charcoal or wood in the bottom grill area to smoke. Then I light up the top grill to finish the cooking, that uses charcoal or wood too. Mine sort of looks like yours, is yours a charcoal smoker too? My firebox is heavy duty, and I lined both bottoms in the charcoal area with fire brick when I bought mine. Is yours electric?

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Lookin' goood!

I'm a nut about outdoor cookin'! I've got about (4) grills and (5) different kinds of smokers. True "smoking' is an art to learn (and not easy). Most people just smoke-grill, which is great, don't get me wrong, but actual 'smoking' is an artform. I've been curing and smoking meats for over 25 years and I still consider myself an amateur.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Lookin' goood!

I'm a nut about outdoor cookin'! I've got about (4) grills and (5) different kinds of smokers. True "smoking' is an art to learn (and not easy). Most people just smoke-grill, which is great, don't get me wrong, but actual 'smoking' is an artform. I've been curing and smoking meats for over 25 years and I still consider myself an amateur.

top topics

join