It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Green eggs and ham

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Well I am wondering just what is happening to our meats ? it seems that if you buy Chub-rolls of hamburger and cook it up it throws off a lot lf grease and that grease happens to be a dark greenish as it rolls of the hamburger. What the heck ? I always had hamburger cook off clear grease up till this last month or so.

Mostly since the virus scare, hamburger has been unavailable or scarce, as was a lot of foods. I have to admit it smells fresh, has the proper color in the packaging, but where does the Dr. Seuss come from ? Hopefully lol, not China.....lol....

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I would not eat it on a train,
I would not eat it in the rain.

I would not eat it here or there,
I would not eat it anywhere.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Sounds like they may be putting celery powder into the burger as a preservative. They can use celery powder in bacon and call it natural. If you dry nitrates, they become nitrites. The celery powder is not regulated like the chemical nitrites though because all celery powders contain nitrites. If you dry parsley, it forms nitrites also, it actually acts as a preservative when you put parsley in your dish for the picnic. But beware, it can still get all messed up if a seagul poops in it. And do not think you can abuse the preservative value, you can still get food poisoning if it sits out too long or if there is some mold in the miracle whip bottle because someone stuck a dirty spoon in it to get out some more miracle whip..

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Don't know. I haven't bought hamburger in a while, and when we do, we spring for the 97/3 stuff because I'm a not a big fan of beef fat. We tend to mix ours with ground pork and let the pork fat do the talking for the meat. Although recently, we've been experimenting with wild boar (I think that's mostly feral hog in the US) which is a leaner version because it's leaner than ground pork and costs about the same as 97/3 ground beef but still has a decent percentage of fat to it, just less than straight ground pork.

A shepherd's pie with a mix of ground beef or ground lamb and wild boar is pretty tasty, btw.

But as to your question of greenish fat? I wouldn't know.
edit on 3-5-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 12:07 PM
link   
" posted on May, 3 2020 @ 12:32 PM "

Wow, it's now 1:02, a bit over a half hour and I am finding out the properties of this hamburger. Mind you I had two small patties with nothing more than a hamburger bun with each. No condiments, nothing, plain bun.

Finding out the properties all right. By the way it comes from a chain that uses the King of the jungle in it's name 'FL' here in North Carolina

That went fast........... 12:32 to 1:02 just saying,ugggggg.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Uhhhhh...the day green s*** starts coming out of my beef is the day I'm gettin' outta' the cattle business!!!

So, from this you can extrapolate...green s*** ain't supposed to come out of beef when you cook it!!

Seriously though, the only thing I can possibly think of which might make this happen would be some of the fat with the USDA grading stamp on it got ground up with the beef. However, this shouldn't happen on more than one roll out of a billion or so! So if you're seeing it consistently, something else is going on!

Beef exposed to florescent lighting and/or oxygen sometimes takes on a green hue. This is why many grocery will treat beef with carbon dioxide to keep it an appetizing red color. However, this hue goes away when cooking, which is the opposite of what you describe.

Bottom line, I have no idea how to explain the phenomenon you describe, but I can tell you it's not normal!

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I been..... pisoned......

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
I would not eat it on a train,
I would not eat it in the rain.

I would not eat it here or there,
I would not eat it anywhere.

Good advice...

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Hmmm, did you recently change anything you clean or cook with? Long shot, but maybe it's an issue with something that changed on your end.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus
Do not panic and I bet you would have noticed before but...

green food coloring is used in my country to tag meat that is over the date. But you would notice that as the whole meat is green then, not just the grease.

soylant green anyone?

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Ummm...it’s just a little pus...brother...you know...some dead white cells and...whatever they were trying to eradicate...

Think of it as a really...special sauce...

Mmm...mmm...

I just noticed that your tag line states that that’s really you there on the beach...

Sooo...your the old fart with the cane...sporting the Hawaiian shirt...

Cool bro...

YouSir
edit on 3-5-2020 by YouSir because: An occasional ribbing...is a good thing...

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Ummm...actually...my burgers get that greenish juice when I add too much cumin and turmeric...

YouSir

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Sounds like they may be putting celery powder into the burger as a preservative. They can use celery powder in bacon and call it natural. If you dry nitrates, they become nitrites. The celery powder is not regulated like the chemical nitrites though because all celery powders contain nitrites. If you dry parsley, it forms nitrites also, it actually acts as a preservative when you put parsley in your dish for the picnic. But beware, it can still get all messed up if a seagul poops in it. And do not think you can abuse the preservative value, you can still get food poisoning if it sits out too long or if there is some mold in the miracle whip bottle because someone stuck a dirty spoon in it to get out some more miracle whip..

Boy now do I feel dense. I mentioned I made plain burgers with plain buns and no condiments. Well I completely spaced out the fact that I sprinkled 'Celery Salt' on the patties as they were cooking. Gu-duh. Ok WE HAVE SOLVED the mystery. Boy, but prior to that I was wondering what was happening, this 'new' meat ?
edit on 3-5-2020 by Plotus because: duh

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 07:54 PM
link   

cook it up it throws off a lot lf grease and that grease happens to be a dark greenish as it rolls of the hamburger

"Congrats! You've stumbled upon Soylent Green!. Please keep it to yourself and continue consuming."

Not sure where you buy or where it comes from, but I'm lucky to have a local grocery with excellent meats, and in the event they were out for a couple of days, they readily had restocked when the national chains hadn't.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I cleaned up a snapping turtle to eat once that had green fat and greenish tinged meat. I blamed it on the pond that I had taken it from being overloaded with green algae.
It was the worst tasting turtle I ever ate.
Maybe the beef were fed something like that?

Maybe: Algae animal feed?
edit on b000000312020-05-04T08:46:05-05:0008America/ChicagoMon, 04 May 2020 08:46:05 -0500800000020 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Uhhhh, but celery salt isn't...green!

top topics

join