It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Speed addiction & tunnel vision as well as horizontal tear lovers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2020 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

Okay hey I did not want to sound rude or high nosey. These drivers are official called tourists.

I know the kind of attitude you felt. We were just three people and didn't have a fancy closed trailer. Sometimes the race car was driven to the track and back 450km one way. The car originally belonged to my uncle but over time we built it more to my specs. A good friend of him who is a professional mechanic was the third person.

We did not go to official races because most of the time we went to the Nordschleife. There you go time attack or single sprint / rally style checkpoints but you have to book this in advance for months so you get a time window on the track where you should be alone and without others interfere or me interfere into others runs.

Safety is important, the track is technically a separate public road. Our vehicle check department enforces at least the minimum street safety measures and depending on the buit of the car, additional measures. Like a EM-shutdown switch that can be reached from the outside with a pole. Some need extinguish systems, it really depends if you drive tourist days or not.

Today I can do a lot of things on my own but I do not have a lot of tools. I can weld good enough to manufacture intake piping with spot welds and have it done seemless by someone who learned it professionally in steps. A lot of things how engine internals work I learned from books, the series " how things are made", asking, watching others and finally tackle it myself.

I changed the suspensions to a KW v3for example and of course got it checked and entered into the cars papers. I did this all by myself, I had no one reach me a hand. Wrapping exterior is something I can almost meditate to.

It's really the danger factor that adds to it if others share the track. This is still the longest and most difficult track to drive world wide, as far as I know. It may not be the longest but it has seen races, a lot of them.

Here is the current record for this racetrack.
Watch him accelerate uphil from 190nph to around 230 in the snip of a finger

<< 1   >>

join