It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US women’s soccer team’s equal pay Dismissed

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Whole title.

US women’s soccer team’s equal pay demands dismissed in court

The gist of the lawsuit claims that the World Cup winning women’s team doesn’t get paid as much as the men’s team.
They don’t make as much money but their team doesn’t bring in anywhere near the revenue either.
On a percentage basis the women make more money than the men.
This all comes down to the women’s team wanting a chunk of the men’s revenue.
The lawsuit also claims inequity in travel and medical care and those issues will move on in the court.

“ Judge R Gary Klausner of the United States District Court for the Central District of California threw out players’ claims that they were under paid in comparison with the men’s national team but allowed complaints of unfair medical, travel and training to proceed to trial.”

They might have legitimate issues with their facilities.

This quote really gets me.

“ Team co-captain Megan Rapinoe, who on Thursday appeared with presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden in a livestreamed event tweeted: “We will never stop fighting for EQUALITY.””

Equality is so subjective but as usual that fact is always overlooked by the protagonist.
She has no issue with women’s tennis players being paid equally for their wins but needing to work less to get paid.
Women need to win two out of three sets and men need three out of five.

www.irishtimes.com...

www.cbsnews.com...

Thoughts or opinions?

edit on 2-5-2020 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22
"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."

Seriously, I am all for equal pay and benefits for the same work. I'm even okay with women having the added benefits related to pregnancy and child-rearing, but most of these legal maneuvers amount to greed and misandry more than they do equality.

She has no issue with women’s tennis players being paid equally for their wins but needing to work less to get paid. Women need to win two out of three sets and men need three out of five.

Exactly. Where are these same women when the inequality works in their favor? Silence is all we hear then.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

I’m sure if the titanic would sink today women would be fine with the lifeboats being filled with equal numbers of men and women.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I’m sure if the titanic would sink today women would be fine with the lifeboats being filled with equal numbers of men and women.

I'm sure if the Titanic sunk today the ratio of women to men would be quite different.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

Considering there must be enough life boats for all passengers I would imagine so.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 12:11 PM
link   
It should always be a honor, to be so good that you are chosen to represent your country international.

Expenses should get evened out but in the end it depends on popularity.

Women soccer is not that popular even here. I played a few years, it is not the same level. It is different and not really compareable.

I am former Oleandra88, I had to get rid of my gmail account that was connected with my profile here.

cheers

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Equality would be having only one team.

Men and women try out together.

If you're good enough you make the team.

If not you make ... sandwiches.

Having a women's team is privilege.

Stand up for EQUALITY, end all women's sports.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

Seriously, they need to be grateful they have the opportunities they have.

At least they play one of the most popular sports in the world, so they get some actual fame and acclaim for what they do.

I went to a Power 5 Conference school and lettered as a freshman in a varsity sport, and no one is going to care because:

1. My sport was track & field

2. I'm a woman

It's a really nice achievement for me, but that's about all it is. I walked around campus and no one knew me from the man in and moon. I was just another student, even with my letter jacket. Had I been woman's basketball, a few students might have thought it cool to know me or recognized me because at that point women's basketball was really good, on a national level at our school, not UConn, but good.

They need to just accept that sports is mostly a man's world, and men are never going to give women acclaim for what we do in sports because we aren't impressive like men are. And other women who aren't also athletes just tend to plain not really care. So we will never get the level of support that men in sports will.

They need to be happy with what they have and do what they can to promote it.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 12:44 PM
link   

That may not be the best example... I've been told that the reason for women and children first is because weight and size differences mean that more women and children can be safely fit on one lifeboat than only men. So it's not about chivalry, just weights and measures.

And I tend to think that plenty of women would happily throw another woman overboard if it meant she could get her man/men onto the lifeboat. Self-preservation of "me and mine" is a pretty strong instinct in men and women. Most women aren't Feminists. We're just people.

But if you just want to lump us all together in one box and slap a label on us, then don't let logistics get in your way.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman
Great idea. Why not aim for real equality? I mean, one world team every nation, no enemy. We may have to redefine some rules in many sports and have like 200 teammates. We may get rid of any non standard players, like the goal keepers Also it would be rude to really "fight it out in a game".

So what we do is hold our hands and sing kumbaja my lord while we dance our names into the grass: NPC

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

I have no issue with women's sports.
MMA, volleyball, softball..
I always watch them and enjoy them.

Unfortunately im in the minority and the money is just not there.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 12:57 PM
link   
If there were a legitimate pay gap for equal work, companies would fire men and hire only women to fill the positions.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

That's true. Why would I pay a man more if I could get a woman to do it cheaper?

I work in the employment industry and I know better.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Hi ketsuko,

you bring up some good points.

- We do (edit: NOT) care about sports like men
- We do not have the same muscular and bone mass (most)

I still wait for someone to explain me why we need to be set equal artificially everywhere with men? Sure, equal pay for equal service should be the norm.

But if I work on a construction site, should I get paid the same just because? I do not think so. Because I certainly will not be able to drag the same amount of weight into the 5th floor.

This pretentious acting like there is some good service done to us, by ignoring all these factors is not doing us a favor.

I see it the same with women employee quotes "oh we have to hire a women for this position because the statistics demand it". Same if men quotes are to be set in place in women dominated business sectors.

How about remembering we have fundamental different biology and are naturally the ones that can bring new life into the world and raise it. We have all the instincts, we are set up for this. Why not #ing honor that? It is about time.

This is not directed at you, just ranted off, sorry ketsuko
edit on 2-5-2020 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-5-2020 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: double duh quadrupled...

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 01:06 PM
link   

I agree that the $ brought in by the women's and mens teams respectively is not the same and thus equal pay is not equitable.

That said, I'm not sure what this means.

The federation argued that "the overall soccer-playing ability required to compete at the senior men's national team level is materially influenced by the level of certain physical attributes, such as speed and strength, required for the job," according to the documents.

I could have sworn women possess both speed and strength required to play soccer.

edit on 2-5-2020 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColoradoJens

I agree that the $ brought in by the women's and mens teams respectively is not the same and thus equal pay is not equitable.

The federation argued that "the overall soccer-playing ability required to compete at the senior men's national team level is materially influenced by the level of certain physical attributes, such as speed and strength, required for the job," according to the documents.

I could have sworn women possess both speed and strength required to play soccer.

Basically means you have to be physically capable to compete at a certain level.... even the top women soccer players are not on the same level as the men. IIRC, the women's team got beat by a high school men's team because even high school boys are athletic superior to professional women athletes. Let that sink in.
edit on 2-5-2020 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Basically means you have to be physically capable to compete at a certain level.... even the top women soccer players are not on the same level as the men. IIRC, the women's team got beat by a high school men's team because even high school boys are athletic superior to professional women athletes. Let that sink in.

What does that have to do with the statement though?

I think is obvious to everyone men and women are not the same physically.

Imagine if you just switched out the words "Men's" to "Women's" you'd say, yeah, that is what is required to play for the Women's National team. Kinda obvious.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

What does that have to do with the statement though?

I think is obvious to everyone men and women are not the same physically.

Imagine if you just switched out the words "Men's" to "Women's" you'd say, yeah, that is what is required to play for the Women's National team. Kinda obvious.

It means women don't make the same money because they aren't on the same level.... they are just restating the obvious because apparently it wasn't obvious to the women players who brought the lawsuit.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ColoradoJens

The statement means the men play at a higher level than the women are capable of playing.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 01:32 PM
link   

a reply to: nerbot

Considering there must be enough life boats for all passengers I would imagine so.

Let me emphasise my point...

There would be a lot more women able to aford such a luxurious cruise with fewer husbands or partners and more women working on the Titanic these days than the original which was probably more male dominated in passengers and crew.

To have an "equal" number of men and women on the lifeboats would mean a lot of women would have to be left behind even though there was space for them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join