It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Going back to work. Corporate absurdity in the name of safety

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I work in an engineering/construction field. Typically we have to wear a safety vest, boots, and hardhat. Generally, it is a very low hazard environment. We've had a month of remote work due to the quarantine and will be back in the field this Monday. Check out this laundry list of requirements to "stay safe"

PPE:
Face mask
Safety Glasses
Gloves
Face Shield

All the above must be worn at all times. Face masks should not be put back on once taken off. We are supposed to use two a day.

General practices:
Every day check in with the supervisor to report your health condition.
Temperatures will be checked of each employee with a non contact thermometer
Sanitize all touch surfaces with Clorox wipes
Maintain 6 ft distance from others
Sign in to every location we visit, so if someone gets the virus, that person can be tracked down (contact tracing)
If you are sick at all you will be sent home and HR will then decide how to proceed

I know some of you may be unemployed right now so I'm not trying to sound ungrateful. I just wanted to point out the hoops corporations are forcing their employees to jump through right now in the name of "slowing the spread". This is not about keeping us safe, it is purely about liability. They have to look like they are doing as much as possible, so we can't come back and sue them if a coworker potentially got us sick (even though there is no way to prove this). To top it off, the guy who implemented these policies said that these practices may stay in place until there is a vaccine!

What are you guys seeing with the policies of your employers?

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 04:58 PM
link   
LOL so grateful I now work where I do.
My boss thinks this whole thing is BS.
They have provided everyone with masks, and gloves.

Wearing them is up to you.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ruckus49

Welcome to a new laundry list of OSHA guidelines.

This isn’t going away.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Face mask with safety glasses can lead to serious accidents sometimes. I hate glasses that fog up when you are cutting stuff, goggles are even worse in hot weather. I know about that stuff, I just renewed my builders license today, have worked in construction for over thirty years total. I used to work on the job everyday even though I own the company.

I would not force my workers to wear a mask for covid. But if I was going to start back up and they did not come to work, I would be required to inform the Unemployment office, that is the rule which employers must follow with this covid unemployment federal kicker. There are strict rules that apply here, I did research from the employer aspect. This was stated on the unemployment papers my son in law and grandson in law just signed when they signed up for unemployment, they are going to work next monday for the company they work for.
edit on 30-4-2020 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: ruckus49

This is not about keeping us safe, it is purely about liability. They have to look like they are doing as much as possible, so we can't come back and sue them if a coworker potentially got us sick (even though there is no way to prove this).

That's right. Because if you DID get sick you'd be the first one to sue the hell out of them for "not doing enough" to protect you. And if they didn't do these things you proclaim not to like, you'd be yelling and screaming that they were putting you in jeopardy. In your eyes, they can never win whatever they do.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Absudity on steroids. Wait until you see how certain States will stigmatize those individuals who test positive for covid-19!

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 05:10 PM
link   

edit on 4/30/2020 by carewemust because: Removed accidental double post.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Don't you just sign a disclaimer saying you accept the risks of not wearjng the PPE, or you wear the PPE?

I get the feeling the Corporate hay-making season is just waking up.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 05:31 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 05:32 PM
link   

My work must not be afraid of liability.

You have to work, and also accept a 10% salary cut along with some bennies.

Good news, coronavirus testing is free... Bad news, you're still on the hook for all other associated fees. Also, if you do catch it, you have to use PTO, and when that likely runs out after 14 days (assuming you saved your 2 weeks).... You are on unpaid leave.

Now, I'm not all into the COVID hype, but even I think that is super messed up.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Thankfully I was raised on personal responsibility.

How the hell do you prove you got this at work? Does anyone really know the incubation period?
Can't see these dumb lawsuits going anywhere.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Whoops.

edit on 30-4-2020 by chiefsmom because: double post

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 05:38 PM
link   
There is a lot of discussion going on in the corporation I work for. As it stands, no one is allowed on any US properties unless you are security or a vital manufacturing employee. Temps are taken at the gate, if you have a temp you don't go in. If you're sick you are told not to come in. Those of us contractors and employees that are working from home will continue to do so until further notice. There is a possibility, extremely slight, that we can go back by the end of May but we'll find out more tomorrow morning. I suspect many of us won't be going back until June at the earliest and that will be in stages.

When we do go back it will be a different landscape. Instead of open rows/sections of desks they're talking about possibly having us with a desk in-between, or possibly going back to cubes. I'd rather work from home if that's going to be the case. I wouldn't mind going in one day a week for in-person contact but so far WebEx meetings have been working just fine. We use teams for group chatting so we still get to discuss things easily. It sounds like masks will be mandatory for some time, even if no symptoms are present. It's going to be very, very different for a long time.

Personally I would rather stay at home where I'm not putting 75 miles a day on my car, spending extra money to eat one or two meals a day there, not having to wear pants, socks or shoes, and so on.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Be grateful they aren’t taking your temperature with a rectal thermometer. Hell, be grateful you have a job to go back to.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Damn, I’m glad I retired last May. I feel bad for all of you having to deal with this crap. There will be many changes for you all, mostly ones that suck.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
Be grateful they aren’t taking your temperature with a rectal thermometer. Hell, be grateful you have a job to go back to.

Me? I'm thankful that I'm still working. I have few complaints in general, other than our gargoyle governor.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Go back Monday, I'm in Illinois.. i think they said screw the govna... While his wife in florida prolly bangin a pool boy....People suck I just got facebook after 6 years again cuz well I went through a break up and zoooom chics are needy as hell... We're going to make this work only 7 of us Monday out of 3,000 nation wide in Tesla's really own competition.. We picked up the Amazon 700 mil van contract.. We will get it done. No questions.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I wouldn't worry about it to much.

As soon as everyone gets comfortable with being back at work they will soon start to become complacent with the new rules and soon after that corporations will stop requiring them.

Especially when the 24/7 news cycle switches to a new topic.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Oh they did make me sign a few documents, told me they would pay me till the end of May if I wasn't comfortable... yea well I'm stir crazy. I'll be there with bells on my forehead... !

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: MarlbBlack
Be careful. Our IL governor Pritzker is egotistical, and lacking in morals. A dangerous combo.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join