It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bow hunting and its implications more than 60 000 years ago

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 09:38 AM
link   
The full title is: Further evidence for bow hunting and its implications more than 60 000 years ago: Results of a use-trace analysis of the bone point from Klasies River Main site, South Africa

I have always figured making a functional Bow was easy as even using split Bamboo could produce a draw weight of at least 40 pounds. The problem IMO has always been a bow string that could be used more than a few times. In the Philippines during WW2 the Negritos fashioned their bows and arrows out of Bamboo. The arrowheads were made out of just about anything they could get their hands on. Rusted out cars or blown up bits of military hardware would make some serious arrowhead points that were very effective at killing or wounding.

Usually when I think of "Cave Men" 40 to 60 thousand years ago the first thing that pops into my mind is a spear with maybe a few carrying an Atlatl. It looks like a new find is showing they were using Bows and arrows 60,000 years ago.

I am not 100% for sure their find is of an arrowhead as the point might have come from a young person's Atlatl. Either way pretty neat find IMO.

Highlights

The bone point (SAM 42160) from >60 ka deposits at Klasies River Main Site, South Africa, is reassessed.

We clarify the stratigraphic integrity of SAM 42160 and confirm its Middle Stone Age provenience.

Evidence indicate the point was hafted, experienced high-velocity, longitudinal impact, and was partially coated in an adhesive substance.

SAM 42160 likely functioned as a hafted arrowhead.

E explore the cognitive implications for bow hunting in the Middle Stone Age.

doi.org...
edit on 727thk20 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Just for those who do not know what an Atlatl is youtu.be...

Just wanted to add this video of killing cans with the Atlatl youtu.be...

edit on 727thk20 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 10:56 PM
link   
www.bing.com... RE

I was impressed by this.

posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: one4all
www.bing.com... RE

I was impressed by this.

Me to and they even quartered the Elk with stone tools while saying the stones worked as well as a modern razor blade.

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 06:03 AM
link   
60 000 ! well how long ago did they build the sphinx?
and what I find hard to belive is the musket replaces the bow.
with a bow you can hit a man from 300 yards.
you could only hit a man with a musket from 50 yards.
and a bow shoots a Lot faster.

V , the Battle of Agincourt.
When 5,000 British Archers Defeated Over 30,000 French Knights.

put 5,000 bowmen against 20,000 musket.
that have to move up to each other!
and I bet the bowmen win.

edit on 28-4-2020 by buddha because: mo

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

originally posted by: one4all
www.bing.com... RE

I was impressed by this.

Me to and they even quartered the Elk with stone tools while saying the stones worked as well as a modern razor blade.

Obsidian or volcanic glass is still the sharpest substance know to man,The group of flint knappers I have been involved with would purchase bison, and butcher with only stone tools in the early 2000's and post it to youtube. unfortunately the archaeologist who organized this event has passed and the footage has been removed.

qph.fs.quoracdn.net...
edit on 28-4-2020 by Knapperdude because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
The full title is: Further evidence for bow hunting and its implications more than 60 000 years ago: Results of a use-trace analysis of the bone point from Klasies River Main site, South Africa

I have always figured making a functional Bow was easy as even using split Bamboo could produce a draw weight of at least 40 pounds. The problem IMO has always been a bow string that could be used more than a few times. In the Philippines during WW2 the Negritos fashioned their bows and arrows out of Bamboo. The arrowheads were made out of just about anything they could get their hands on. Rusted out cars or blown up bits of military hardware would make some serious arrowhead points that were very effective at killing or wounding.

Usually when I think of "Cave Men" 40 to 60 thousand years ago the first thing that pops into my mind is a spear with maybe a few carrying an Atlatl. It looks like a new find is showing they were using Bows and arrows 60,000 years ago.

Anyone can be taught make a bow or arrowhead...but making a functional arrow that will fly is quite difficult...Atlatl darts are much easier to make, as they use the potential of the darts undulation, due to the great length of the projectile, the arrow has to spin, and does not undulate during flight.

edit on 28-4-2020 by Knapperdude because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Even if not quite that old. Bows in one form or another have been around forever. A spear predates the bow, but for effectiveness when they figured out to make and use bows, it changed everything. Even to this day, the bow and arrow is still one of the most effective tools and weapons out there.

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: buddha

It only took precedence over the bow simply because you can teach somebody to use and become a competent shoot with a musket or even gun in a few days. How long did it take to build up the skill you would need to hit somebody with an arrow from 50 yards or even 100 yards away?

Practically years and years. Also while you could reign a death of arrows down on people from 300 yards away. So ya very effective.

new topics

top topics

join