It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Many think a long extended COVID19 lockdown is worth world economic collapse and mass starvation

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 12:29 PM
link   
On every single thread about COVID 19 there are those arguing for extended lockdown, and sometimes very extreme extended lockdown. Often, they will say until there is a vaccine, which may be 2 years.

Also on ATS are many threads that ague there may never be a vaccine for COVID 19. Some people argue that the lockdown must go until the last person infected is well.

Some people are calling for a national mandatory lockdown for the entire nation until there is an effective treatment. That will take months to find and with 330 million people just in the US, a year or more to produce enough of the medication.

We have had evidence on our grocery shelves the harm lockdown is doing to the food supply. Wide swaths of shelves are empty and the number of empty shelves is growing slowly week by week. This doesn't seem to be enough evidence for many that extending lockdown every 2 weeks with out a seeming end in sight is directly contributing to eventual mass starvation.

Now the world has awakened:

www.msn.com...

Sen. John Kennedy called on the U.S. economy to gradually open back up in an interview Wednesday evening, warning that global markets could "collapse" if America doesn't get back to business soon.

nationalinterest.org...

In Africa, millions will starve if the global economy enters a protracted downturn.

theconversation.com...

Why a one-size-fits-all approach to COVID-19 could have lethal consequences:
Suppose you had the choice between two health policies, A and B. Policy A would result in the death of a lot of elderly people. Policy B would result in the death of a lot of children, especially infants. Which would you choose?
Right now we are facing a choice between more or less drastic measures to slow the spread of COVID-19, a virus which, at time of writing, has yet to claim a life under 10, and claims very few lives under 30, with the risk rising exponentially with age. We are putting in place measures that will lead to malnutrition and starvation for millions of people, and for these horrors, children and especially infants are the most at risk.

I am so sad that many many on ATS don't care at all about mass starvation looming if the lockdown keeps being extended.

Certainly many on ATS don't care about the human toll:
More people in TN have committed suicide than died of COVID 19
There is a clear enormous rise of suicide
There is a clear huge rise in child abuse, but I have had ATSer's say it is ok, because I'm not dying from the virus, nor are my friends
There is a clear rise in domestic abuse, just this week a man shot his son because the son left the house during the lockdown
There is a clear rise in substance abuse, drug overdoses, alcohol abuse, but many say that is so worth it to keep me from getting COVID 19
There is a clear rise in mental health problems

When people say something is "worth it" to stop the spread, it REALLY means, to keep me safe, and that is very very clear

Is mass starvation that we can see slowly coming from just looking at our grocery shelves also worth it?

Is complete and total economic collapse worldwide that will make the Great Depression look like the Roaring 20's? Many on ATS have actually said yes it is worth it.

At what point is it not worth it?
How many deaths from unintended consequences of lockdowns are acceptable and make it worth it?
How many looming deaths from poverty due to the loss of jobs for over 30% of the population are worth it?
How many looming deaths worldwide due to world economic collapse and starvation worth it?

I assure you there will be people who will argue that all these consequences are worth it and I wonder if they are trolls, or so self-centered they don't care about anyone but themselves, or are rooting for a total collapse of the entire world out of a perverse desire for ......

Before you have the usual ATS fit: I'm ok with social distance recommendations, with mask recommendations, even extending masks as a requirement indoors in work places and stores/etc,; I'm not ok with shutting businesses with no end in sight at the whim of people like Gov. Whitmer; I'm not ok with draconian and prison like home lockdown that keeps people from working and shutters the economy.

Did any of you realize that the government runs on tax money coming in:
No business running, no tax income
No income tax coming in, no tax income
The US already has no money left at all on its money tree (federal reserve)
The US is currently running almost entirely on loans they have taken from other countries
With people rooting to shut down business and keep people at home, they are rooting for the bankruptcy of their state,
they are rooting for the bankruptcy of the Federal government.

Soon, very soon, if the lockdowns keep going another 2 weeks, another 2 weeks,
another 2 weeks with no end in sight,
the Federal government will go bankrupt and there will be no money for stimulus,
no money for food stamps,
no money for social security,
no money for medicare or medicaid, no money for welfare.
The nation WILL go broke if the lockdowns keep going and going like the energizer bunny.
But heh, it's worth it, I won't catch the virus and neither will you!

Governors are already screaming that the Federal government can't give them
all financial aid because they are so close to going broke.
Because we are running out of money due to lack of taxes, or I should say
running out of countries willing to loan the US more money.

edit on 4/24/20 by The2Billies because: grammar addition

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

Not sure which stores you've been to, however every time I've had to go to the grocery store the only items that are out of stock are toilet paper and paper towels. Everything else is in stock at regular levels, this includes meat, veggies, processed crap, etc. This is also not the same store every time, I have 6 grocery stores within easy access and 3 more by where I am building my house, I've been to all of them, and aside from that first week period where everyone panic bought everything, they've been stocked back up to normal.

I can't speak to the rest of the post, just wondering where you are that the store shelves are constantly empty and getting worse. For frame of reference I'm in Charlotte NC, not huge, but certainly a decent sized city, so I would imagine a halfway decent benchmark for that sort of thing.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Honestly its inevitable at this point. Unless the virus just vanishes back into the reservoir species like Ebola tends to do we can expect rolling lockdowns as things flare up while we sit and _hope_ for a vaccine to come along before we reach herd immunity (if its even possible to begin with). The results of lifting current limiting measures will most likely cause another spike in cases and a resultant lockdown to prevent overwhelming of the medical system. The phased approach itself has problems, its hard to spin up and down staffing all the time, having waves of people out of work then in work then out again is tiring for everyone involved. Having industries that only manage to work a few weeks or months at a time before being shut down again as case counts rise is going to seriously harm the economy and confidence in it. So really there is no way out of this without a major blow to the economy unless of course you believe in miracles.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 12:41 PM
link   
At the rate everybody's putting on weight sitting around watching tiger king and Waco on Netflix and eating, we could use a good fasting.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

In my mid-size city this is true. It is certainly true of my usual grocery store. It is also true of my best friend's daughter who works at a grocery. My friend gives her a list and her daughter sometimes has to wait days to be able to get some of the items, and she is a cashier.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 12:51 PM
link   
OP has NO IDEA how many frozen french fries are overstocking cold storages around the US. The FOOD meant for the foodservice industry is sitting in the cold storage and cold storages are running out of room. Foodservice distributors are selling back their inventory to suppliers because they can't pay their invoices.

Moderators need to step up there game with dumb posts by people who support drinking Windex.

Deny Ignorance is officially fake news on ATS.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Helig

So you think mass starvation is inevitable and so the lockdowns are worth the mass starvation? That's my take away from what you wrote. Ok, what I expected someone to say.

I give you props for not writing the usual troll response that tries to make a joke out of human misery.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: game over man

So I take it from your response you are perfectly ok with all the human misery?

Exactly the type of response I expected. Kudos for reinforcing what I was already thinking about koolaid drinkers for indefinite perhaps 2 years long lockdowns, who want others to join them in drinking kookaid! You made my day and let me know I was so correct.

A BIG KUDOS to all who reinforce my OP that many many on ATS don't care about the human toll or the looming economic collapse, so predictable, and thank you.

edit on 4/24/20 by The2Billies because: addition

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: The2Billies
On every single thread about COVID 19 there are those arguing for extended lockdown, and sometimes very extreme extended lockdown. Often, they will say until there is a vaccine, which may be 2 years.

Or, actually, never...

Some people are calling for a national mandatory lockdown for the entire nation until there is an effective treatment. That will take months to find

Actually, no, it won't, since we already have one...

It is called (god I'm getting tired of repeating myself) high dose IV vitamin C...

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I think we will have the starvation even without lockdowns because of the impact of outbreaks of it on the food supply system. We remove the lockdowns completely (which I gather is your position) and stop all mitigation efforts and suddenly we have a case spike and our already taxed hospitals start failing. Right now in Virginia for example there are 4 hospitals experiencing difficulty obtaining or replenishing PPE in the next 72 hours and 1 hospital having difficulty obtaining or restocking non-PPE gear in the next 72 hours and that's with lockdowns in place and a loose handle on the situation. I am saying there is no solid solution to this and all the possible bad outcomes seem to be unavoidable since miracles are the things of fiction and film not reality. Lockdowns or not we are going to suffer, the only real variable is the duration of how long this goes on and that dictates _if_ we even have a functional economy on the other side. At this point if you didn't have a stockpile and a prepper mentality to one degree or another its going to be a very uncomfortable near term future.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Actually it is a perfect strategy: pestilence, famine; then war.

Where have we heard this before?

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 01:34 PM
link   

People are being born and people are dieing. Circle of life.

They need get over this bs and open everything back up!

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Many people are licking their chops about the coming financial collapse and how long it will last.

It's a |*Democrat/New.World.Order*| _cream_dream_ 😈

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 02:02 PM
link   
People who are shouting for longer lockdowns are mainly the same wanting open borders it doesn't work either way. We need to be realistic and realize business will open the lockdown be relaxed and things will get back to normal. yes, it will take time but it will happen. the flu kills more people a year worldwide 250k/650k and the flu got a vaccine. Also, people need to think about how they've had their freedom taking away and they're happy with this or don't mind. Wake and realize its the psyop of a generation.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I don't even drink and I bought a case of longneck bottles of Leinenkugel beer for fourteen dollars and fourty nine cents. Not a bad price for twenty four bottles of beer. None of the modelo left, the distributor brought cases of Leinenkugel today when they restocked.

It's related to the thread....the beer truck is going to the stores and delivering every day now....Think of what that means

I had to buy the beer, it has been at least ten years since you could buy a case of longnecks for that price. Hopefully I get company to help drink it around the firepit this summer.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 02:43 PM
link   
The Federal Reseve Bank has to create exponentially more dollars (debt) otherwise the whole financial system will collapse. The problem is the more dollars are created, the less they're worth. Its a catch 22. I believe that's the reason why COVID19 was created & released. Eventually the dollars will be useless & government(s) won't be able to pay for services or their employee's paychecks. Bill Gates will have the solution, a new cryptocurrency/vaccine based on biometrics. No one will be able to buy, sell or trade without the Mark of the Beast. This will probably be the replacement of the U.S. dollar.
www.disclose.tv...

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Well, if there was no alchohol to be had the government would be in serious trouble from the rioting that would happen.

All across my town we seem to have a church or a bar every couple blocks. Between the praying and all the alchohol I feel no threat from this virus.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Those who feel a longer lockdown is right are advancing an appeal to emotion, the emotion of fear.

Decisions made by humans in an emotional state of fear are usually poor decisions. That is the case here.

The infection is everywhere, from Navy vessels to lions and tigers in the Bronx zoo, to prisons and meat packing houses.

So, no claim can be made by the experts that they have contained the virus. Many of us knew that was an impossible claim when they made it. Today's reality show how impossible they are.

There is no evidence that lockdown achieved anything positive.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 03:00 PM
link   
In April of 2009, fauci said there would be a vaccine for H1N1 very quickly. By October of 2009 a vaccine was widely available.

Why is it taking two years for a covid-19 vaccine?
edit on 4/24/2020 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 03:27 PM
link   

I get what you are saying. Also get that with a release on restrictions there will be a spike in cases which will lead to over taxing of the health care system leading to more deaths. It's a no win situation.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join