It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Union Organizer Fired by WalMart Goes on Hunger Strike.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
thematrix
Are you talking about Canada, or the UK, or Maryland, or what?

I know there are a few places that have resisted the encroachment of the big boxes.

First I have not heard anything further on what happened with the individual so assume he lived.

As for Walmart/big box problems they are growing big time lately; tons of law suit wins for former employees all over the US. They also have a problem in Germany as I understand, although their profits their are now steady but not on the rise. They were loosing for a long time according to a news report last wk over their.

Then you have resistance in NY, MA and I do believe several areas in CA are also refusing to pace rezoning laws which to me is a good thing.

It is about time Wally world got put in its place.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a lot of towns/cvillages/cities have starting introducing anti-big box ordinaces which limits the sizes of retails stores. Thus preventing places like wal-mart form building thier super-centers and pratically raping the local economy

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 12:04 PM
link   
True enough Wyrdeone, there are great pressures on a person to not organize and some groups of workers to not unionize. That initial struggle can be really great.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 07:16 PM
link   

fromWyrdeOne
WalMart has been under some pressure to allow employee unions, particularly in Canada. The company has so far resisted pressure, and it will be interesting to see how they react to this man's protest. The fact that their failure to act could doom this man to malnutrition or death (if he carries through) adds additional importance to their decision.

It will be his decision to die that way if he chooses. I doubt WalMart will give in to his extortion attempts.

I just hope he doesn't fast in front of my local Wally World; I'd hate to have to step over his bones on my way to grab some birdseed or whatever.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Wal-mart is evil!!!!!

I worked there 15 yrs ago during college and that was during the time when they stood behind the buy american as much as you can policy. Now about the only thing american in their stores are the flags(which are made in china)

The problem with the organization is that they prey on the employees loyalty to the store. They take advantage of them everychance that they get. The majority of the people there (employees) are uneducated and need the job and again wal-mart will take advantage of them. Make them feel like they are contributing and are a very important part of the company...then deny them their stakeholder checks at the end of the year because wal-mart forgot to pay their rent...Oh yea that one is true...Pekin Il wal-mart claimed that instead of paying the rent on the building of $3k/month they only were paying 300 and since that happened they couldnt afford to pay them their annual bonuses (stakeholder checks)....then they moved to a super center and were denied again because the cost involved was so great that they couldn't afford it again. What a crock of....!!!!!!! The bad thing is...a lot of them didn't bat an eye and believed the story that the managers told them...

I know this because the g/f was a manager out there.

It is a lousy company so Im shopping at target from now on.

Wal-mart will fall and when they do it will be a hard one

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   

from
Make them feel like they are contributing and are a very important part of the company...then deny them their stakeholder checks at the end of the year because wal-mart forgot to pay their rent...Oh yea that one is true...Pekin Il wal-mart claimed that instead of paying the rent on the building of $3k/month they only were paying 300 and since that happened they couldnt afford to pay them their annual bonuses (stakeholder checks)....

Now that sounds like a real crock... I can't believe anybody bought it.

WalMart is always in the news for the lousy way they treat their employees. But if all those stories are true, I can't explain the attitude of their employees in the WW I shop at. The people there are always pleasant, and go out of their way to help you if asked.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   
In a related story, WalMart recently had 24,500 applicants for 350 jobs at a proposed new WalMart site in Chicago. But the company decided to move the planned store to another city in Illinois because Chicago politicians wanted WalMart to allow the employees to unionize.

So, Chicago has lost out on over $1million in tax revenuse, plus hundreds of job opportunities.

I just heard this news clip on John Gibsons' The Big Story on Fox News. I couldn't find a link to post but will continue to look for one.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   
24k apps for 350 jobs!

Pay no attention to the implications of those numbers! The economy is strong like Bull! There is no spoon! There is no spoon!

I nearly fell out of my seat when I read that. We are in such a pickle my friends...

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
24k apps for 350 jobs!

Pay no attention to the implications of those numbers! The economy is strong like Bull! There is no spoon! There is no spoon!

This is NOT a depression. The similarities between today's homeless people living in their cars and 1930's refugees loading up their Model T's is entirely meaningless.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join