It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools closed for remainder of school year...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 02:52 PM
link   
One would think we would be hearing “feel good” stories by now about how eSchooling the children (to keep public education in the tax loop and not abandoned) has discovered illiterate parents and taught them to read or become mathematicians or something...

I guess those stories are waiting for the day when practical people want to defund the propaganda system for not being educational to save a buck or two.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
One would think we would be hearing “feel good” stories by now about how eSchooling the children (to keep public education in the tax loop and not abandoned) has discovered illiterate parents and taught them to read or become mathematicians or something...

I guess those stories are waiting for the day when practical people want to defund the propaganda system for not being educational to save a buck or two.

Sorry the stories we are hearing are how parents are having to drink their way through teaching their children. We are hearing how awful it is to be forced to be in the house with your own children all day. We are hearing how parents are dying to pawn their children back off on the government all day.

This is pathetic, and it is all over social media as something to joke about and so ha ha funny.

No wonder the public school can't send real work to "normal" students. Their parents don't care if they get an education or not as long as the kids are out of their hair. Ha ha, social media wink and joke.

No wonder those children will never escape poverty or lower middle class existence if that is what their parents are like. It is shameful.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Do you believe that more attention would have caused you to focus more on your school work?

Don't forget this is 16 to 18 year old you.

I know it wouldn't have worked on me.

If I had some hot girl tutor me, for sure!

Then again, I could have been distracted from my lessons.
edit on 21-4-2020 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comments

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
I'm getting a vibe here in this thread. It's like the comments are trying to polarize public school students into two camps, smart achievers that are worthy of an education and dumb losers that are left out.

Like most things, this isn't a simple "black and white" situation. From my own experience as a kid, I had my personal interests for subjects I excelled in while I never applied myself to some basic requirements I had to muddle through to graduate.

I wasn't a dummy, just a non-conformist with little interest in academic achievement. I didn't apply myself to my education until I attended the local college. By that time I wanted knowledge, esp. when it had to be paid for to get it.

These days, there are so many resources to expand your education through your own efforts, there is no excuse except that you don't want to learn anything new. However, you do need to be exposed to new ideas so you can decide what may interest you.

But that's not what's happening here; that's what's happening in school. Turns out that some of those kids in the "dumb classes" are very smart, and some of those people in the "smart" classes are just good at memorization but not critical application.

What's the summation of this? School is mostly day care. That's the summation. It's not influencing your kid in any way to be intelligent for the vast majority of the kids there; in fact, most people who do desire knowledge, will find it even without school.

posted on Apr, 22 2020 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: Trueman

originally posted by: rickymouse
Why didn't something happen like this when I was a kid in school.

You forgot we didn't have internet, no video games and no 24 hours TV channels. We were basically depending on outdoor activities.

Yes indeed... Things were great in the 80's. I had a Nintendo but I couldn't play it unless it was raining outside or I was in for the night. Most of the time I was riding my bike with my best friend, climbing trees, playing with Ninja Turtles, drinking from a water hose, etc..

It was a golden age. Believe it or not, I miss disco today.

posted on Apr, 22 2020 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

Hmm. Yeah education is a waste of time.

And what's that need to know stuff?
Reedin, rahtin, and rithmatic?

How does a person develope other interests if elementary learning is limited to only what is needed. ( ya got me on that )
You can't wait until someone is almost an adult to try to develope a well rounded education. These things need to be introduced young so they can grow with the child. No one is becoming a concert pianist if they don't start lessons at a young age.
I can't even believe I'm arguing this.

posted on Apr, 22 2020 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman
What does this have to do with closing the schools down?

posted on Apr, 22 2020 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Well my kids are grown but we played outside with them. We had family game nights. We took them to museums ( not always ones they liked poor things)
We took them to historic sights for vacations like Gettysburg or Jamestown or Washington D.C.
We rounded out what they were learning in school by including those lessons into our daily lives.
Not saying we were great parents but we tried because we valued learning and education.

posted on Apr, 22 2020 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

It used to be that a parent exposed their children to activities and when a school offered those things, they were voluntary and not necessary parts of the curriculum outside a few specials like music, art, and PE. I feel certain you are familiar with the term extra-curricular.

posted on Apr, 22 2020 @ 07:23 AM
link   
The bottom line I don't see anyone talking about here is:

OUR SCHOOL SYSTEMS ARE NOT CREATED EQUAL!

So everyone's point, is moot, until ALL schools teach kids and have access to the same stuff! But that changes every other year, so it's no damn wonder, our kids an parents are dumber than doorknobs.

Why many have to SELF EDUCATE, because school was about as useful as toilet paper on a rainy day.

I didn't learn how to use google sheets or excel in school, I had to teach myself, I didn't learn how to do much of what I'm using now to make my living, so my question is, why aren't we teaching lifeskills?

Oh yeah, we want lemmings... I'm honestly more pissed that nothing is consistent, but yet everyone is expecting the same outcomes from all this, and that's not the main point of concern.

--- Many yell how this is NWO, or an agenda, but if it was, IT WOULDN'T BE HIGHLIGHTING ALL THE BROKEN ASPECTS OF SOCIETY!!!!
edit on 22-4-2020 by Tranceopticalinclined because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2020 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Oh, wait, you do understand how children get exposed to things outside school! It's not the school's job to make all that stuff a regular part of the curriculum. Some of it is part of parenting: family activities, summer camps, sports, etc.

posted on Apr, 22 2020 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: litterbaux

Because they plan for that.
This is not in the plans.

posted on Apr, 22 2020 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Tranceopticalinclined

If you didn't learn how to learn in school, then it was a waste of your time. It was supposed to give you a foundation of knowledge and knowledge skills that you could use to build on for whatever you needed later on.

If you can teach yourself to adapt and pick up the knowledge you need now, one way or another, even if it's how to find and take classes on it, then school was adequate to your needs.

posted on Apr, 22 2020 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

I will confess that I did almost literally throw my kid's iPad across the room last week.

They're doing a biography and we were revising a rough draft. Have you ever tried to position a cursor on a touchscreen?! I am an editor and proofreader. I do it for a living, and suddenly, I can't make the cursor go where I absolutely need it to. Part of my job is high volume work where speed is money. And I spent 5 minutes trying to make the cursor go to one place that, with a keyboard, would take my less than 5 seconds to position.

And my son couldn't get it to go there either.

My point is that not all of those homeschooling stories you hear are parents who can't stand their kids. A good part of it is frustration with the means and tools we have to work with too.

posted on Apr, 22 2020 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I don't have time to say everything, but it's not just me,
helping my siblings in school, helping my kids, you start to see the problems,
and to think just because the school down your street is ok, and others aren't isn't ok.

Consistency is lacking, this is not a personal opinion, it's a fact.

posted on Apr, 22 2020 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Tranceopticalinclined

I'm not saying that the public schools are great. They aren't. I spent about four years in an inner city middle school, so I see the problems.

For one thing, the school system is way too enamored of the latest, greatest thing in pedagogy. Take Common Core. It was billed as the latest, greatest thing, so everyone rushed to adopt it. Honestly, it sucks. It's what happens when computer geeks with no practical knowledge of the classroom and how kids learn try to design curriculum from the top down with fancy buzzwords and PC in mind.

I see some of what they think they're doing. For example, in math, they designed the curriculum such that they think it will help kids who have trouble with number sense. A lot of the approach is very similar to programs we used to help kids who had dyscalculia and lacked number sense when I worked with kids who learning disabilities, but all the added steps and writing are murder to kids like my own who have disorder of written expression (dysgraphia) and intact number sense and excellent memory.

In reading, there has been a battle between whole language and phonics forever. On the one hand, they argue that phonics is too hard and regimented, but whole language has never turned in the results it was supposed to at any level. Having worked with both systems, I'm not saying whole language is all bad. There are useful parts to readers' journals that can be used when students start being asked to think about texts for comprehension purposes. Those aspects of whole language can be helpful then to develop kids' understanding and ability to think about what they read. But as means of teaching the mechanics of word decoding? ... No. Not only that, but whole language will definitely defeat those who have weaknesses in phonetic skills: dyslexic kids, kids with hearing issues (mine), etc.

And the educational apparatus doesn't actually want to stick with any approach for longer then 3 to 5 years, so kids are constantly being shuffled through different approaches. They spend as much time learning new ways of learning as they do learning their core subject matter.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join