It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools closed for remainder of school year...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Kentucky's announcement came about an hour after Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine said his state's schools would also remain closed for the academic year.

They join the majority of states — including Tennessee and Indiana — in shuttering its classrooms until next school year as the coronavirus continues to spread, impacting over 25 million students.

Schools closed for remainder of school year...

Personally, I'm glad this state done that. As much as I want my two step-kids out of my hair (lol) I fully support this move, I hope many other states follow along with this too. It would be a massive disaster If school's were restarted now IMO.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: ArchangelOger

Well, there was only about a month left, and most home school programs run on online classes and work. So it wasn't the hardest transition.

I figured this would be the case a few weeks back, the only problem, obviously is having some form of supervision during the day. I understand that's hard for a lot of families.

I'm pro home schooling, non institutionalized brainwashing. I think if possible, it's great that most kids learn this way. That way all the "weird" crap they slip in (like some of the...questionable...sex ed) is exposed(and likely rejected) by most people.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Why didn't something happen like this when I was a kid in school. Kids nowadays are so spoiled. So, I wonder when they will have the graduations and graduation parties?

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

we are doing a car cruse for local graduates in town in a few weeks every one will take their muscle/import/motorcycles down mainstreet and around the bypass ,its not walking but should be at least fun for the kiddos

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 12:32 AM
link   

As someone who works in the UC system and has a child in kindergarten. This has been known for over a month.
It seems a bit over the top.
But like you I appreciate the concern for the population at large.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 12:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: ZapBrannigan3030

I'm pro home schooling, non institutionalized brainwashing. I think if possible, it's great that most kids learn this way. That way all the "weird" crap they slip in (like some of the...questionable...sex ed) is exposed(and likely rejected) by most people.

We learned a shocking thing during the lockdown.

Our school district is award winning, our High School listed in the top 100 in the nation.

Want to know a dirty little secret?
In the High School only the honors kids and AP kids are getting real work to do. The rest of the kids are getting things for their entire weeks work "think about how the Coronavirus is affecting you".
My daughter was upset her exchange student go zero work to do from the High School and started checking around with friends. She found out that the honors/AP kids got lots of work, the rest were like her exchange student, no work. So she called the Principal. The next week the most productive assignment her exchange student got was to think (not write, not report on, not reply) as to how the virus was affecting her. My daughter was appauled, the "regular" students were being given assignments for idiots and only the honors/AP kids were getting any sort of education.
She wondered why her Jr Hi son had tons of work and her Hi Schooler got none. The answer was simple, he was in all honors classes.
Then her 2nd grader. One worksheet per subject, per day. She was so upset, one worksheet does not instill any concepts. So she got some 2nd grade teacher workbooks and goes over the concept in the one worksheet with multiple other worksheets.

This is public education of today. I wonder how many other parents are realizing how little their kids are learning if they aren't in gifted curriculum? And this in an award winning district.

Of course, as I have learned most parents on social media don't care and would actually prefer no schoolwork and drink their way through homeschooling.

But for those parents who care, this has been a real wake up call.

My daughter said her 2nd grader WILL be in all honors classes and her son will always be in all honors classes, she make sure of it so they actually get an education.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 12:54 AM
link   
The older you get, the more you realize a year is nothing in the grand scheme of things. People act like nobody ever wastes a year of their life doing stupid stuff. School is mostly a waste of time. Kids just go there to memorize a bunch of stuff many of them will probably never need to know. And some of the stuff they probably should remember (Like the stuff they learn in History class) will be quickly forgotten.

School is mostly a massive waste of time and money. Young people should be taught only what they will really need to know and then allowed to choose what to study. That shouldn't take 20 years.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 03:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Why didn't something happen like this when I was a kid in school.

You forgot we didn't have internet, no video games and no 24 hours TV channels. We were basically depending on outdoor activities.
edit on 21-4-2020 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Schooling is basically for the top 20% of the class. The rest basically fall into remedial type of classes starting in the 5th grade though 12 th grade. Its true.

Home schooling only works for the motivated parents. Those parents don't even have to be well educated, just motivated. Its like being motivated to play with your children. How many parents today actually take the time to go outside with their kids and let them enjoy their childhood with their parents.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I'm getting a vibe here in this thread. It's like the comments are trying to polarize public school students into two camps, smart achievers that are worthy of an education and dumb losers that are left out.

Like most things, this isn't a simple "black and white" situation. From my own experience as a kid, I had my personal interests for subjects I excelled in while I never applied myself to some basic requirements I had to muddle through to graduate.

I wasn't a dummy, just a non-conformist with little interest in academic achievement. I didn't apply myself to my education until I attended the local college. By that time I wanted knowledge, esp. when it had to be paid for to get it.

These days, there are so many resources to expand your education through your own efforts, there is no excuse except that you don't want to learn anything new. However, you do need to be exposed to new ideas so you can decide what may interest you.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Indiana did this a couple weeks ago.
I'm hoping the stay at home order is lifted on May 1st so the seniors can have a graduation ceremony.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 07:18 AM
link   

I hope this isn’t too off topic but something popped in my head after reading your OP. The dumping of milk is attributed to the school system not buying milk right now. The schools in my area are out of session June thru some of September. Why don’t we have this issue every summer?

Mods remove if too off topic.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

I don't think it comes down to that.
I've told my daughter that grades are not a very good indication of intelligence.
Unfortunately schools get measured by students test scores so schools must place emphasis on test scores.
You said yourself that you didn't apply yourself so should teachers be judged by your lack of effort?

To be honest the whole system sucks and most of the home schooled kids I see are socially inept weirdos.
Not all of course but many.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: litterbaux

I don't think that's the case. The schools are still passing out meals.

We don't need to, but since we were paying for lunches, we go get our son's lunch from the school and he gets milk every day.

It serves two purposes -- he gets to go for a car ride in the middle of his academic day at home and we get to see what sorts of junk the school is serving them.

As for assignments, we make sure ours does his work. So far, we've done a science experiment on evaporation, we're in the middle of revising his biography rough draft, and this week we'll finalize it for turning in. He puts in at least 30 minutes reading for reading lesson each day and has to produce guided notes on what he reads, he has math which has gone from simple geometric concepts to telling time (adding and subtracting it), and we've covered the geography of Missouri.

He has counselor lessons on how to cope with the current situation. He has PE too, but tae kwon do has more or less taken the place of that. He has health. We barely look at art and music because they have respond if you want type lessons.

It seems the teachers are so far trying their best to cover the same stuff they would have in the classroom with varying degrees of success in adapting it to completely electronic format.

Now the kids next door are in some serious hurt where their work is concerned. I know the little boy is way behind on his stuff and our son reports that he'll have to repeat 2nd grade (don't know how true that is). But last night they were out between 9 and 10pm yelling at each other in the backyard, so the parents aren't maintaining any sense of regular scheduling or structure. They're basically already on summer break, so I'd be surprised if they're getting much of anything done.

edit on 21-4-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 07:32 AM
link   
School has been shut down in Manitoba for over a month and they won’t be returning till fall. My wife’s a teacher and most people are able to switch to home schooling without problems(she still provides the class work and marks there work online) Some parents are less then receptive however. Some are mad their kids have any work at all while at home and think this should be free time for their kids. I believe these ones are upset they actually have to parent and by doing school work with their kids they might actually learn something. These cases thankfully are few and far between.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 08:37 AM
link   
We

Why didn't something happen like this when I was a kid in school. Kids nowadays are so spoiled. So, I wonder when they will have the graduations and graduation parties?
We did it the right way. Herd immunity is a beautiful thing. We sure as hell didn't cower while waiting for their newest poison to save us all lol.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I don't think it comes down to that.
I've told my daughter that grades are not a very good indication of intelligence.
Unfortunately schools get measured by students test scores so schools must place emphasis on test scores.
You said yourself that you didn't apply yourself so should teachers be judged by your lack of effort?

To be honest the whole system sucks and most of the home schooled kids I see are socially inept weirdos.
Not all of course but many.

I thought I was graded fairly for the effort I applied in public schools. The thing is, the kids who are academic achievers are going to continue to strive, those kids who don't have that drive need the attention. All students should get the education they need, not what people think they deserve (the vibe I was starting to get with this thread).

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

Louisiana shut schools down for the year 2 weeks ago. None of my 4 kids got assignments. They're in 6th grade, two in 8th, and the oldest is a Senior. None were honor students but they were A/B students.

Honestly, I prefer them learning from me at home instead of getting the propaganda kids get in public schools these days. Most of their teachers are highfalutin stuck-ups that look down on you for not being "smart" enough to teach a kid high school English, yet when you see them post on social media, they have multiple grammar errors. Drives me crazy.

The thought never occurs to them that the reason you're not a teacher is because you had no desire to be one. I have no doubt I could teach English, Grammar, and History better than any of them.
edit on 21-4-2020 by LSU2018 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

Why didn't something happen like this when I was a kid in school.

You forgot we didn't have internet, no video games and no 24 hours TV channels. We were basically depending on outdoor activities.

Yes indeed... Things were great in the 80's. I had a Nintendo but I couldn't play it unless it was raining outside or I was in for the night. Most of the time I was riding my bike with my best friend, climbing trees, playing with Ninja Turtles, drinking from a water hose, etc..

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Do you believe that more attention would have caused you to focus more on your school work?

Don't forget this is 16 to 18 year old you.

I know it wouldn't have worked on me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join