It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds of thousands in L.A. County may have been infected with coronavirus

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I believe I may have contracted COVID-19 from my boss sometimes in January. Both of us were sick for about 10 days, but neither of us had the "typical" symptoms of cough/fever. I suspect that we will eventually learn that a much larger percentage of the population (including that of where I reside in Seattle- King County) has already been infected, and showed no signs or had symptoms that were indistinguishable from other common ailments.

I don't want to go into detail what happened to me, this post is about how the data will eventually show a much better picture of what HAS ALREADY happened and give us better insight into what we need to do NEXT. If more people were infected than previously believed, then this is POSSIBLY a good thing. What else does it mean?

LA TIMES Source Article:

Hundreds of thousands of Los Angeles County residents may have been infected with the coronavirus by early April, far outpacing the number of officially confirmed cases, according to a report released Monday.

The initial results from the first large-scale study tracking the spread of the coronavirus in the county found that 2.8% to 5.6% of adults have antibodies to the virus in their blood, an indication of past exposure.

That translates to roughly 221,000 to 442,000 adults who have recovered from an infection, according to the researchers conducting the study, even though the county had reported fewer than 8,000 cases at that time.

Though the county had reported roughly 1,000 cases in early April, the Stanford researchers estimate the actual number was 48,000 to 81,000, or 50 to 85 times greater.

edit on 4202020 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 06:06 PM
link   

I believe I may have contracted COVID-19 from my boss sometimes in January. Both of us were sick for about 10 days, but neither of us had the "typical" symptoms of cough/fever.

Not saying anything amiss , but why couldn't it been been a case of normal flu , cold , sinus infection , bronchitis....?
It is the season for all of the ones listed (and more)

edit on 4/20/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

I believe I may have contracted COVID-19

I don't know anyone who hasn't demonstrated COVID-19 symptoms. Some have been a bit more serious than others, but mostly mild.

I know people who were tested earlier this year, before COVID-19 was a thing outside China, they were told the virus was not identifiable and that it was just some upper respiratory infection.

I have been saying to everybody that I know that we need to be tested for antibodies. Unfortunately in the current race for complete insanity, that suggestion has not been considered an option.

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I was going to make a thread when this came across the wire, but yours is basically the same thing.

LISTING OF DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH PRESS RELEASES
LAcounty.Gov

Los Angeles (April 20, 2020) - USC and the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (Public Health) today released preliminary results from a collaborative scientific study that suggests infections from the new coronavirus are far more widespread - and the fatality rate much lower - in L.A. County than previously thought.
Based on results of the first round of testing, the research team estimates that approximately 4.1% of the county's adult population has antibody to the virus. Adjusting this estimate for statistical margin of error implies about 2.8% to 5.6% of the county's adult population has antibody to the virus- which translates to approximately 221,000 to 442,000 adults in the county who have had the infection. That estimate is 28 to 55 times higher than the 7,994 confirmed cases of COVID-19 reported to the county by the time of the study in early April. The number of COVID-related deaths in the county has now surpassed 600

Using the smaller derived number gives us a 0.27% mortality rate in LA. Using the larger number gives us a 0.135% mortality rate.
Using the current confirmed cases number gives us 7.5% mortality rate in LA.

This is happening everywhere they do serology samples for antibodies. The case numbers skyrocket and the mortality rate correspondingly plummets.
edit on 20-4-2020 by RadioRobert because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: myselfaswell

I don't know anyone who hasn't demonstrated COVID-19 symptoms. Some have been a bit more serious than others, but mostly mild.

I know people who were tested earlier this year, before COVID-19 was a thing outside China, they were told the virus was not identifiable and that it was just some upper respiratory infection.

I have been saying to everybody that I know that we need to be tested for antibodies. Unfortunately in the current race for complete insanity, that suggestion has not been considered an option.

People caught cold and flu bugs during cold and flu season this year??? Get outta here!

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 06:14 PM
link   

The only way to know for sure would be to test everyone. I was sick back in November with what I thought was a bad case of the flu. But unless I test I won't know.

And you're right to think that the numbers of infected could actually 5 times the number being reported due to not knowing for sure.

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 06:17 PM
link   
How are you guys being tested for all these things?

Here in the U.K, since I was a child, I have been diagnosed with viruses plenty of times, never tested though.

I go to my G.P, describe my symptoms and Bam, you have a virus. Rest up, drink plenty of fluids, take paracetamol for the fever.if it gets worse, come back.

Never once, have I visited, described my symptoms and been offered a test.

Are you charged for tests? I’m guessing you are if they have conducted these tests.

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 06:20 PM
link   
May have..
Could have...
If....
What if...🙄

These terms are doing nothing but sustaining the fear and panic.

CDC said today that it can travel on your shoes and the social distancing is actually 13 feet, not 6.

I'm done.👎

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: LordAhriman

Yes, people did, and one of them was COVID-19 this year. Or at least that's what the data is telling us.

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Local urgent care did a quick test on my son last year and tested him as having flu A despite him having been vaccinated. It's like giving you a strep screen if the symptoms match.

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Glad you’re ok!

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Yes, people did, and one of them was COVID-19 this year. Or at least that's what the data is telling us.

It's what Facebook memes and youtube videos are telling you.

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

The only way to know for sure would be to test everyone. I was sick back in November with what I thought was a bad case of the flu. But unless I test I won't know.

And you're right to think that the numbers of infected could actually 5 times the number being reported due to not knowing for sure.

I had COVID-19 related symptoms once.
Back in 1985 .
Turned out to be the flu.

edit on 4/20/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 07:00 PM
link   

People caught cold and flu bugs during cold and flu season this year??? Get outta here!

In Australia, in the middle of Summertime, when it's sunny and hot, yeah, that's totally normal.

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: In Australia, in the middle of Summertime, when it's sunny and hot, yeah, that's totally normal.

Summer colds are not a new thing. I get one almost every year. Two years ago, I got H1N1 in July. Yes. It's normal.

I live in Missouri where we have 100+ temps in July, with ridiculous humidity.
edit on 20-4-2020 by LordAhriman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Summer colds are not a new thing.

You're right, summer colds are not new, but a breathtakingly virulent New Coronavirus is though. And that upper throat thing is definitely a new one.

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

I believe I may have contracted COVID-19 from my boss sometimes in January. Both of us were sick for about 10 days, but neither of us had the "typical" symptoms of cough/fever.

Not saying anything amiss , but why couldn't it been been a case of normal flu , cold , sinus infection , bronchitis....?

Our symptoms were NOT typical of normal flu, cold, sinus infection, or bronchitis- this is what was remarkable to both of us and brought us to the realization that this 'might' be related to COVID-19.

Also, my landlord has been diagnosed with COVID-19, I had been in contact with him so there is another vector that I hadn't mentioned.

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: myselfaswell

This virus is new enough that a complete list of ALL symptoms has yet to be compiled. Suggesting that everything is probably already known about how an individual human will react to infection or comparing it to the flu or common cold is, in my opinion, silly. I also would suggest that there MIGHT be long-term effects to our physiology that will not be determined until further down the road. Someone could show absolutely no signs of illness, but perhaps still have had some damage done to their system. I'm just hypothesizing here, not trying to invoke fear.
edit on 4202020 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: seattlerat

originally posted by: Gothmog

Our symptoms were NOT typical of normal flu, cold, sinus infection, or bronchitis- this is what was remarkable to both of us and brought us to the realization that this 'might' be related to COVID-19.

Also, my landlord has been diagnosed with COVID-19, I had been in contact with him so there is another vector that I hadn't mentioned.

What is "typical" , and how are they different ?

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Thing is that novel strains will cause symptoms that the same virus will never have again.

Spanish Flu was just a novel strain of influenza. It was hemorrhagic in a certain percentage of cases and caused such bad cyanosis in others that people would actually turn a truly dark blue. Neither of those are symptoms associated with the flu, and because of those symptoms, doctors would swear the disease couldn't be flu, but it was.

Once we're done with this first round (or first few rounds) of COVID and it's had a chance to settle in and our immune systems have had a chance to grow accustomed to it like they have with flu, there are symptoms we see now that may disappear.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join