It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abovetopsecret.com Media Centers: Video, Audio files and Photographs... VOTE NOW!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I was just thinking about what ATS was missing most. The only thing that ATS is lacking is a media center for each topic forum. I was thinking video and audio files along with photographs would greatly improve the quality of this site not to mention stop redundant posts. These could serve as media libraries in the various forums. I was hoping that the most discussed topics in each forums could have video/audio/photograpich files to back them up separate from the discussions but in the same sections. I was hoping that ATS could host all of these media files if they could the get copywrite laws. (I'll go into more detail about my idea if it ever becomes something Simon Gray and fellow administrators will take into serious consideration.)

I know this WAY TOO MUCH to ask of SG and SO but I was hoping that MAYBE in the future, 2-3 years from now (maybe more) something like what I suggested would be a reality. Currently we do have a library of links but this is far from my grand vision of Abovetopsecret.com and its full potential. I know this is not possible anytime soon for many reasons that I know of but wont get into, but I would like to hear what you guys think.

So simply put, I would like to hear if the Administrators, Moderators and my fellow Members approve this idea and would like to see it happen sometime in the future, setting aside all the problems and challenges of making this happen.

Thanking for taking the time to read this post.

[edit on 12-3-2005 by beyondSciFi]

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I think it's a great idea. But unfortunately there is the copyright obstacle as you mentioned. If ATS didn't make it, ATS can't provide it for download, except in cases where the file and copyright is voluntarily handed over by a contributor.

For now perhaps the next best thing would be a sticky in each forum to list and categorize links to relevant multimedia resources.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
I think it's a great idea. But unfortunately there is the copyright obstacle as you mentioned. If ATS didn't make it, ATS can't provide it for download, except in cases where the file and copyright is voluntarily handed over by a contributor.

I was thinking about the same thing, there are so many problems involved with this that its not even funny. Still, thanks for agreeing with me, maybe someday in the future we can come close to achiving this... I hope... After all Abovetopsecret.com is a great site, but it can be something so much more.

[edit on 12-3-2005 by beyondSciFi]

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Yeah, ATS should download and make a back up of media before it's taken down...who's gonna pay for all that though...maybe someone out there whois rich enough can buy th eir own media server and set it up and link it....I aint rich, don't ask me.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
You can upload video and pictures at places like putfile.com... or post pictures at imageshack.us...

One you have uploaded the files to those sites you can post links to them in the appropriate forums or the Multimedia Uploads forum.

I don't think Skeptic or Simon want to host large files here because of the bandwidth costs.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
A long long time ago ATS had a part of the forum dedicated to "multimedia". The files were not hosted here, but it was a place for all the videos and stuff to be rounded up in one place.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sarcasimo
A long long time ago ATS had a part of the forum dedicated to "multimedia". The files were not hosted here, but it was a place for all the videos and stuff to be rounded up in one place.

It's still here.. just sort of hidden well...

www.abovetopsecret.com... - its under "Website-Related Discussion" on the ATS forum main page.

Enjoy!

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Ahh, so it is. I never bother to check sub-forums. I just remembered from when it used to be on the main forum page.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I actually have this multimedia sub-category in my MY ATS favorites. That way everytime I go to MY ATS, I see new multimedia postings.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I think this is an excellent idea.

If organized properly, it would be a great resource asset.

I don't know what the potential for storage capacity is, or if it would be a problem. I don't know if administrating such a resource center would be a pain or not either. But good idea nonetheless.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by prophetmike

Originally posted by Sarcasimo

It's still here.. just sort of hidden well...

www.abovetopsecret.com... - its under "Website-Related Discussion" on the ATS forum main page.

Wow I never knew this existed, but still its nothing like what I have in mind. After all, this "multimedia section" is just another forum with links to videos... but at least its a start LOL.

Originally posted by DeltaChaos
I think this is an excellent idea.

If organized properly, it would be a great resource asset.

I don't know what the potential for storage capacity is, or if it would be a problem. I don't know if administrating such a resource center would be a pain or not either. But good idea nonetheless.

But maybe after a few years, if we get the money, we could expanded into my idea... There are many problems to over come but the pay off would be incredible. *Hopes one day to see this as reality*

[edit on 13-3-2005 by beyondSciFi]

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Re: the $ factor, I don't know why they don't have an option to donate. With over 30,000 members you'd think that this would be a viable option for fundraising. Let's say only 1% of members donate an average of only $5 per month, that's $1500/month. I raised this issue in the thread on advertising at ATS but no one responded.

"The final option is member donations. (I'm unaware if it has been tried in the past). IMO this could possibly work at ATS where it fails on some other sites, simply because ATS enjoys such a fiercly loyal member base. Furthermore, considering the success and popularity of the ATS points and TWATS systems, if there were some sort of clearly visible recognition of donations made, the chance of success would increase greatly since ATS community members greatly appreciate acknowledgment and commendations from other members.

Just my thoughts."

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Re: the $ factor, I don't know why they don't have an option to donate. With over 30,000 members you'd think that this would be a viable option for fundraising. Let's say only 1% of members donate an average of only $5 per month, that's $1500/month. I raised this issue in the thread on advertising at ATS but no one responded.

I was thinking about this exact issue when I first started this post. I guess im not the only one that feels this way. Come on SO make a donate button so some of us can give a little to make this site better.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   
If ATS does decide to take donations you might want to take a look at Amazon honor system.
Amazon Honor System

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
That system is fine, but the problem is it doesn't display member donations, unless I missed that somewhere. You'd need to add something into the local ATS code to make it clear, like a bar or a counter in your profile, since this will increase the likelihood of people donating. It may seem petty but it's a reality. Only the truly committed or the pure altruist will donate without even a small gesture of recognition.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   

I think it's a great idea. But unfortunately there is the copyright obstacle as you mentioned

I can pull it off - everything is 100% legal on my site.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Uhh...sorry, not sure what you're getting at.

Can you expand on that?

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by mickmeaney

I think it's a great idea. But unfortunately there is the copyright obstacle as you mentioned

I can pull it off - everything is 100% legal on my site.

Yes, I too was wondering if you would care to explain it to us so maybe we can make this happen one day.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
this should help...

if you want to send LARGE movie files use:

www.yousentit.com

top topics

join