It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Devil In Isolation DE2020

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2020 @ 02:30 PM
link   
2000 years since my greatest triumph and I’m still here choking on dust as I walk this wasteland constructed by our self-proclaimed lord. Lord of dust and grime fashioned into slavish soft man; a noble paragon indeed--why just yesterday I stopped in a town just in time for a party thrown by the mayor’s wife, and we feasted, danced, flirted and laughed as over the swell of the band the sharp crack of metal bullets audibly ripped through a nearby bus of student protesters in a planned assasination. The mayor and his wife bore lurid grins when the shots died down, and the band played on; a job well done called for a hearty celebration. Meanwhile, a few blocks away a leper dug through some trash for just enough scraps to survive the night and start looking again. Such are the masterpieces of this world’s lord.

I despise these bipedal pigs and scoff at my fate as Lord of the Chaff, and yet until now have maintained my sole purpose: to garner more subjects. And willing subjects indeed abound, so much so that I rarely need to be more than a spectator and keep a walkin’ so as to remain mostly unseen. Still most doubt my existence even as they fall, prostrate, at my Altar. I used to find pleasure from their prolific cruelty and manifest ways to torment themselves and one another, but after so many thousands of years even the most creative, selfish, brutish, and visceral acts bore me. I’ve wearied of my role and have tread through every inch of dust. I’ve even tread through you, dear reader. But I digress.

Being Prince of this dusty Earth has lost its luster. I never thought I’d tire of my quest for power or slaves, but every trajectory has its peak, and I’ve reached mine. I’m as sapped of strength by my work here as most of you, and I’ve held my position since the beginning of time. I’m certain per my contract I can’t abdicate my crown, but I’ve determined to no longer actively recruit these despicable palsied subjects and find a small plot in the wilderness to settle my feet and prepare for what I know is coming--that final battle from which I’ll emerge victorious. His chosen few with their lilied grace make no match for me and mine. What is faith in the face of brute strength? We’ve proven again and again that faith ends up a bloody mess while strength endures to hammer more skulls into submission. Why go through the pains of an Armageddon to prove what is already known? But dear daddy is stubborn like that--he believes that the word has power, and that when it was written, it therefore must come to be.

I know better than he, and have used his word in more twisted ways than number the stars. And judging from the final admonition in his memoirs, all that vexes him is the thought of words being taken away from his prophesy, but I know how to add words of my own. The epilogue will be mine, and your name can be written there too. So long as you continue to carry out my work for me as I rekindle my passion for apostasy, I can promise you a home. For I’ve found my secret weapon, and its name is Isolation. See the clothed monkey is finally waking up to the fact that fellow man is the source of, rather than the cure for, all his ills. Shun one another and stick to your own, for as you know that nothing is more important than your survival. And when the dust clears on my new Kingdom, I’ll change its name from Desolation to Isolation and when I reign it will be from a greater distance than you’ve come to know by our intimate terms here. Through the opposite act of amassing my army I will come to win this war.

As the world continues to isolate, so shall I, and gather my strength until that final domination; and when the original author perishes along with his feeble creation, it will, at long last, be up to me to determine the end.

The End

edit on 18-4-2020 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2020 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

A well-crafted narritive!

Brava!

posted on Apr, 18 2020 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Thanks, DB! You picked an awesome topic. It was a lot of fun to work with.

posted on Apr, 18 2020 @ 06:23 PM
link   

This was fricking awesome! Well written, Zosi.

posted on Apr, 18 2020 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Great story Zosimov!

posted on Apr, 18 2020 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

Hi FM
Thanks for the kind words. It was good just to write again, and I'm just getting started reading through the entries. I hope you enter, too--looking forward to reading everyone's take on a very old subject.

Enjoy your Saturday night!

posted on Apr, 18 2020 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

I'm glad you enjoyed the read; thank you Macenroe!

posted on Apr, 18 2020 @ 08:17 PM
link   

When it came to addressing the topic you didn't mess around, did you?

A thoroughly enjoyable read and thank you for writing it.

posted on Apr, 18 2020 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Ha, yes, that did go straight for the source, didn't it?
Thanks so much for reading and for your comment.

I'm looking forward to a great contest this month and am inspired write more on a project I've put down.

Enjoy your night, Lumenari!!

posted on Apr, 19 2020 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Topical. Well done.

posted on Apr, 19 2020 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Thanks for reading, Sprocket!

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 08:00 AM
link   

I knew it! I knew it was you.

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Thank you for all you have contributed to the cause.

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 08:08 AM
link   

No worries, you're tough to say 'no' to.

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 03:20 AM
link   

I S+F'ed this the day you wrote it but didn't comment.

I like the force of this writing. There are a couple verbs I thought were really strong, e.g., "the swell of the band". I appreciate little stuff like that. I like the brooding tone, and all the cool words that I am (slightly) embarrassed to admit are not part of my active vocabulary. You'd probably be surprised if I told you what some of them are. Nice work!

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

DOE, I really appreciate your input, and it's so nice to know that someone is paying attention to the language--I just really love words (and from this and other discussions we've had I think you do too), so that is great feedback to hear.

PS, I, too, S&Fed your piece when I first read it, but also did not comment. I love your writing, and how you produce a legitimate short story (a lot of what I put out is almost too short!! even for this genre).

Hope you are doing well, my friend!!

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 06:46 PM
link   

After the fact, I realized I could've made my point by saying that your use of language is highly effective in establishing ethos, something I have rarely slowed my mind down enough to consider in my writing. Lumenari commented in my SS thread that these contests inspire all us ATS writers to improve, and I agree.

And sorry for the thread crosstalk, but I'll say here that I'm sorry for your recent loss.
Hang in there.

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

Thanks, DOE, I really appreciate the condolences and always enjoy hearing from you. Hope all is going well with you and yours.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Your use of wording makes this one of the better stories I have read... WTG !

top topics

join