It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan sheriffs announce they will not violate US Constitution

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I commend these sheriffs for standing up for the citizens they made an oath to protect. Like many sheriffs in Washington that made a stand against new gun laws, these four in Michigan are the epitome of what it means to uphold your oath to the Constitution. From the article:

A group of sheriffs announced they will not enforce some of Democratic Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer's executive orders on the same day thousands ralliedagainst state-mandated shelter-in-place orders outside the state Capitol in Lansing.

Sheriffs Mike Borkovich, Ted Schendel, Ken Falk, and Kim Cole of Michigan's 101st District released a press statement Wednesday afternoon detailing what they said was their decision to place their oath to the Constitution above the Whitmer's wishes.

With their willingness to go public I hope that more law enforcement leaders will get on board either in support of this notice or to release their own statements. There is an absolute obligation for all public servants to uphold the Constitution and reject illegal attempts to curtail it. I'd love to buy them all a beer just as soon as the bars are open.

The four sheriffs promised to continue abiding by social distancing guidelines as they attempt to reopen parts of Michigan that have not been affected as badly as the Detroit metro area, where more than 20,000 cases have been reported.

I think this is one of the main issues for people in Michigan. Why are rural areas locked down when the virus is running rampant in urban areas? Why is it that anywhere liberal policies proliferate a one size fits all approach screws people in rural areas? We all know the answer in rural America. They just don't give a s%#t because we don't elect them.

I'd like to think that Whitmer would see that to continue down this path is folly, but she's proven incredibly resilient to reason. The 15,000 people protesting in the streets she dismissed as a "political rally". She doesn't seem to understand a "political rally" against you is actually called a protest. I suspect, like Inslee did in Washington, the power of the AG will be bandied about and the sheriffs will be threatened. The sheriff's will stand their ground backed by the overwhelming support of the citizens.

After all of this, given her nearly superhuman efforts to alienate voters, I'd not be shocked to see her being on a short list of DNC VP picks.

+18 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 12:37 AM
link   
The Constitution should always come before anything else , including looney liberal governors' mandates.
Time is that some of these traitors were removed from office .

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

The phenomenon of politicians not caring about people in rural areas is not unique to the US. Here in Australia they only remember we exist when we're in the middle of a raging inferno (bush fire).

This is a fantastic display by these sheriffs and may just be the start of government employees refusing to enforce tyranny.

+14 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Watch, Whitmer will punish the law enforcement now, when anyone does not do exactly what she wants, she lashes out and makes hell to pay. She did not get her gas tax and she made all kinds of irrational budget cuts to punish the people in michigan who voted Republican. She punished the Legislature for not extending the lockdown to seventy days by passing a new agenda that further tightened restrictions. She is one of those kind of people who gets even at anyone who opposes her, using any way she can to try to sway people to her side, in this case inappropriate fear mongering and skewing the evidence to make it look worse. I know women like that, I also know some guys like that. I know white people like that and I know black people like that. I do not like that kind of people. They are bad for society.

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

Wasn't that a forgone conclusion or was i missing the part they weren't doing that before?

That's loaded question I know...
edit on 16-4-2020 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 12:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe
I think this is one of the main issues for people in Michigan. Why are rural areas locked down when the virus is running rampant in urban areas? Why is it that anywhere liberal policies proliferate a one size fits all approach screws people in rural areas? We all know the answer in rural America. They just don't give a s%#t because we don't elect them.

That's pretty much the way it is in every state that has a stay at home order issued by the Governor, whether they be a Democrat or Republican. It's up to local law enforcement in each county and city to determine how seriously to enforce it or if to enforce it at all, depending on the number of cases in that location, the population density, and the amount of travel into that county or city from elsewhere.

It's not necessarily about being liberal. I find the Michigan situation humorous, considering there's 6500 confirmed cases in my entire state, yet we have a stay at home order like most states and everyone is taking it seriously. Police are out in force demonstrating their presence in my city and "enforcing" the Governor's orders wherever they decide to.

They can disproportionately bother specific areas and neighborhoods and I'm sure it makes a great point of contact tool with anyone they deem suspicious criminally. My state is 50/50 red and blue, law enforcement is traditionally majority Republican much like the military.

It's great that a few politically active sheriffs in some county or jurisdiction in Michigan made a statement stating how they're going to operate in that area for the equivalent of stars from the like-minded and their supporters. Beyond that, the Michigan story with the right wing protest against their Democratic Governor is a sideshow. There's nothing major being protested that the rest of the nation isn't already dealing with, regardless of which political gang they're in.

It looks to me like a fun opportunity to rally against the opposing side's elected local Government because the protesters don't like them anyway. If the Governor of Michigan were a Republican and issued a standard stay at home order for the state, would the same protesters and opponents be up in arms against it?

The local law enforcement of the individual counties and cities would be enforcing it or not enforcing it just like they're doing right now, minus the circus.
edit on 16-4-2020 by FlyingSquirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 01:02 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyingSquirrel

Was informal polling conducted to determine what percentage of the protestors were Republicans or Democrats or Independents?

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 01:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
The Constitution should always come before anything else , including looney liberal governors' mandates.

And thank God the Constitution was being upheld by these police on a daily basis and not enforcing one of the random 50,000 + federal laws let alone the 10000 + laws your state has written up just for little old you. Were you upset then?

The average joe commits felony a day practically. Before this.

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 01:33 AM
link   
What does banning the sale of paint have to do with stopping the virus.

www.mytotalretail.com...

What better time to repaint the inside of your home if you are locked down.

+13 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 01:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColoradoJens

And thank God the Constitution was being upheld by these police on a daily basis and not enforcing one of the random 50,000 + federal laws let alone the 10000 + laws your state has written up just for little old you. Were you upset then?

Everybody knows your disdain for anybody not discussing whatever the topic is you seem to be on about, but all those laws you're talking about are irrelevant in this case. Those laws can be challenged and ruled on like any other.

This is a mandate from Governor Whitmer that violates the US Constitution. There is no recourse except for law enforcement to step in. If you read the notice you would see it stated.

We believe we are the last line of defense in protecting your civil liberties.

You went on about keyboard warriors in another one of my threads about Michigan. Were the people in Lansing just keyboard warriors? Are these sheriffs keyboard warriors? Whatever your opinion is quite obviously people are taking action and it's noteworthy. You dont have to like it.

Your premise was nobody is doing anything. Now they are so you're on to a new foil that there are lots of bad laws and nobody did anything. It's fine that you don't care and you've made it abundantly clear, but many people do including these sheriffs.

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 01:59 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 02:01 AM
link   
a reply to: ColoradoJens

Hey What's up Ksihkehe, hope all is well.

Everybody knows your disdain for anybody not discussing whatever the topic is you seem to be on about, but all those laws you're talking about are irrelevant in this case. Those laws can be challenged and ruled on like any other.

My point was your local police force abuses the constitution daily. Why are you selective in your outrage? Aren't these Covid laws "being challenged and ruled on" as we speak?

This is a mandate from Governor Whitmer that violates the US Constitution. There is no recourse except for law enforcement to step in. If you read the notice you would see it stated.

The question of constitutionality is debatable. Every state is varying in approach and those that have had severe outbreaks like Michigan have overdone it, then figured it out. Give it some time. People are more capable than you give them.

I don't understand and at the same time categorically deny "There is no recourse for law enforcement to step in"
I can think of a few other "recourses".

We believe we are the last line of defense in protecting your civil libertiess
[/quotes

You went on about keyboard warriors in another one of my threads about Michigan. Were the people in Lansing just keyboard warriors? Are these sheriffs keyboard warriors? Whatever your opinion is quite obviously people are taking action and it's noteworthy. You dont have to like it.

Your premise was nobody is doing anything. Now they are so you're on to a new foil that there are lots of bad laws and nobody did anything. It's fine that you don't care and you've made it abundantly clear, but many people do including these sheriffs.

Were you there? If so, I applaud you for doing what you felt was right. If not, erm.

No issues with public assembly and protesting at all. I can see it spreading across the country if more people start losing homes and more jobs.

But keyboard Warriors are just that. That's why there is a phrase "keyboard warrior".

And just fyi, "You" are not the last line in Defense of "my" liberties, but thanks for the grandstanding.
Edit to add no idea why the quote function is so messed up - sorry about that

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 02:24 AM
link   

What ????

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Man you are one mad keyboard judge and jury. It's pretty funny how you and your buddies have been all in peoples faces who speak up against tyranny. We get it, you'd be the first in line to give up your neighbor when the SS came knocking. How noble. Do you have a purpose beyond nay saying anything and everything? Because so far you really have no point nor purpose.

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 02:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Well, the title of the thread should give you an indication. Police are going to uphold the constitution so snuggle in safely.

The mandates are not unconstitutional in the first place and it's selective outrage.

No one is disputing protesting. Will they ease the mandate to include more stores based on the press? Maybe. Will it be eased in a few weeks regardless? Most definitely.

If it goes a lot longer we'll see not just protesting but rioting. But it won't.

And then we can get back to legally erasing your freedoms without a whimper.

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 02:39 AM
link   
RE: www.washingtonexaminer.com... -order

Sure...these Sheriffs can be tough guys easily, because between the 4 Michigan counties they represent, there have been a total of 18 Corona Virus cases this year, and ZERO deaths.

Northwest lakeshore of Michigan's Lower Peninsula: www.michigan.gov...
(Hover Mouse over Counties)

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 02:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: BoscoMoney

Man you are one mad keyboard judge and jury. It's pretty funny how you and your buddies have been all in peoples faces who speak up against tyranny. We get it, you'd be the first in line to give up your neighbor when the SS came knocking. How noble. Do you have a purpose beyond nay saying anything and everything? Because so far you really have no point nor purpose.

I'm sure you were a big local police supporter prior to this? Are they some safe keepers of constitutional knowledge?

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Still wont change 1 thing the economy

They still hold all the cards there buisness is a privilege always has been

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 03:50 AM
link   

And just fyi, "You" are not the last line in Defense of "my" liberties, but thanks for the grandstanding.

Once again you're attributing things to me that I never said. I quoted the press release from the sheriffs where they made the statement. Talk about grandstanding. I don't know what the fixation is with doing this but it's turning into a pattern.

Keyboard warrior is a term, but you're using it incorrectly. Discussing politics is not being a keyboard warrior. You see I'm discussing government actions and public figures, but you're discussing me. You are for some reason convinced that I'm some other person or group of people that you've interacted with.

You're essential not expressing any real opinion on things and just flinging poo. It seems like your smart enough to articulate an opinion but for some reason you refuse to do it. It takes a bunch of effort to get you to make any kind of real comment.

Yes, there are a whole number of things that have been going on for some time. I'm also very much interested in civil asset forfeiture and invasion of privacy through domestic spying. Those things will still be going on. Those things aren't this topic and it's not the same as politicians acting like feudal lords and ruling over the citizens in their fiefdom like they're property.

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Once again you're attributing things to me that I never said. I quoted the press release from the sheriffs where they made the statement. Talk about grandstanding. I don't know what the fixation is with doing this but it's turning into a pattern.

Keyboard warrior is a term, but you're using it incorrectly. Discussing politics is not being a keyboard warrior. You see I'm discussing government actions and public figures, but you're discussing me. You are for some reason convinced that I'm some other person or group of people that you've interacted with.

You're essential not expressing any real opinion on things and just flinging poo. It seems like your smart enough to articulate an opinion but for some reason you refuse to do it. It takes a bunch of effort to get you to make any kind of real comment.

Yes, there are a whole number of things that have been going on for some time. I'm also very much interested in civil asset forfeiture and invasion of privacy through domestic spying. Those things will still be going on. Those things aren't this topic and it's not the same as politicians acting like feudal lords and ruling over the citizens in their fiefdom like they're property.

I'd suggest the title of the story, thus the title of the thread is a redundant statement thus making it sensational.

It implies this is not constitutional and then gives the impression that the police are here to uphold the constitution. Constitutionality regarding the mandates are debatable, but most certainly have some legal precedent and, as law is always open to interpretation, there will be back and forth, overreach and equilibrium.

It also implies that these Police officers are somehow more knowledgeable than the local authorities and I would think that may be up for scrutiny.

I question your unreserved respect for the Police, frankly, and why involving the police

against your local government is now your "last recourse".

It isn't and it won't be so just stop saying that. Its not going to happen and its silly.

I've stated it and will again. This goes like this another month there will be rioting.

I see things starting to slowly ease in two weeks. The social distancing seemed to have worked, and MI was a "hotspot".

They went overboard. They are now correcting. It's fluid.

Like I stated before too, I think its great people are protesting. Its what they should be doing.

I don't think the hyper sensationalism is doing anyone any good.

I promise you will have eased restrictions soon and then the new world order will be revealed and none of this will matter.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join