It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump threatens to invoke constitutional power to adjourn Congress

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

After all, conservatives are generally the ones that understand the Constitution in the first place...

Those are typically called Libertarians.

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: links234

He doesn't have the cojones to actually do these things

You still haven't learned, have you? Trump dressed down Nato to their faces about meeting their funding obligations and stopped funding the WHO pending review, during this Pandemic and you think he won't do what he says?

I've shown in another thread the Power a President has in extraordinary times. It's quite an eye-opener for someone like you, I'm sure, but past Presidents have done some crazy #. Be Careful what you wish for.

If the House doesn't want to do their Job and the Senate Adjourns, Pelosi will force his hand. Watch. You think Trump wouldn't mind working without the House and Senate Dems dragging their feet?

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 08:59 AM
link   

This is NOT the Mud Pit!!!!

So post responsibly.

Do NOT reply to this message.
edit on Thu Apr 16 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Well, 1) Trump can't adjourn both houses because the constitution is very specific on when the president can do that:

...in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper.

Seems pretty clear, "in case of disagreement between them." There is no disagreement between the two houses, January 3, 2021 is when both Nancy Pelosi and Mitch McConnell agreed. So if Trump tried to do what he's threatening to do (he won't), it would be in direct violation of the constitution.

2) The only reason he's threatening to do this is to push through his own recess appointments. Rather than the oversight and advice and consent of the GOP held US Senate, Trump would rather push his own people through.

If you're totally fine with both points 1 (violation of the constitution) and 2 (without consent, no oversight, lack of checks and balances) I'm sure you'll be elated when, come November, when Trump loses the election (both popular and electoral votes) he refuses to leave office. I'm sure you'll march your happy butts to DC with your 2A rights on your hips ready to support an illegitimate president. Because that's, apparently, what patriots do lately; support the destruction of America to 'own the libs.'

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: links234
I'm sure you'll march your happy butts to DC with your 2A rights on your hips ready to support an illegitimate president. Because that's, apparently, what patriots do lately; support the destruction of America to 'own the libs.'

I laughed at this for about 3 minutes. Like, pee my pants laugh.

Your comments are always the best.

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: links234

Did you not read this in my post?

If the House doesn't want to do their Job and the Senate Adjourns, Pelosi will force his hand.

Guess not.....
There is nothing stopping the Senate from Adjouring if they chose to.

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: macman

OMG, markup language means it won't show...

For context:
I made multiple edits to this post trying to do a 'heart' but the forum recognizes it as an HTML break and won't show anything past that.

I wonder if ATS has a bug-bounty program...

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 05:06 PM
link   
If President Trump tells Congress to go on a permanent recess, can he then add the 250 billion dollars to the paycheck Protection Program himself, with his treasury secretary?

Nancy Pelosi is stopping that from happening right now. The program ran out of money last night at midnight.

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Please stick to the topic... from about page one at the bottom we slid PRETTY far towards the mud. It seems clear to me that the president, if he was genuine, would be arresting traitors, adjourning congress, and "making America great" a long time ago, not because of some virus, but because of people like the AG of Massachusetts who freaked out when the MA governor decided to include gun manufacturers and sales as "essential". She had a fit and MADE him change them back to "not essential". She ALSO appealed the SUPREME COURT RULING that made it clear that the AR-15 ban was unconstitutional, at the state level, and has been running with that ever since.... ABOMINABLE from a civil libertarian standpoint. Which, at this point, if you aren't a libertarian, you are an enemy of the free people of the United States of America.

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: underwerks

So your argument is that you cant work a device?

I don’t think I ever presented an argument. I was just having a hearty cosmic laugh at more than one poster who actually thinks conservatives care about the constitution when it doesn’t benefit them.

And I stated how anyone that believes that is living in the wrong century. This isn’t the 1970’s.

Not sure what the 1970's has to do with it.
You either understand and support the Constitution and Bill of Rights or you don't.
Not much has changed in that regard since the 1970's
Unless you can point to a significant amendment since then? It requires one to change it, though listening to leftists some people might get confused about that.
Anything other than voting age and Congressional pay you'd like to add?
edit on 16/4/2020 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join