It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Government Developing Tracking App Re: Fighting COVID

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 07:05 PM
link   
You can't make this stuff up.

The Australian government in conjunction with private enterprise is reportedly two weeks away from releasing an application that tracks citizens movements via GPS tracking to help stop the spread and remove restrictions earlier than forecast.

Whilst use of the app is voluntary, the government has suggested it needs to be adopted by atleast 40% of citizens in order to be effective. Their concern is that in countries such as South Korea and Singapore adoption rates were around only 20%. '

They also promise that your identity will be protected and everything will be anonymous. Sure. So, they see "an anonymous person" leave my home address, go against lock down restrictions and they do nothing with that information?

Here's a snippet;

The Federal Government believes restrictions on the community could be eased in the months ahead if there's more testing, greater surveillance of those infected by the coronavirus and much faster tracing of those they've had contact with. It is developing a mobile phone app with the private sector to help monitor Australians' daily interactions. The ABC understands the app will be ready in a fortnight but the Government believes it would need at least 40 per cent of Australians to voluntarily sign up for it to be effective. The app would be opt-in only and not mandatory. Coronavirus update: Follow the latest news in our daily wrap. It is understood the app would plot who had spent 15 minutes or more in close proximity with a person who proves to be COVID-19 positive. The challenge facing the Government will be encouraging enough Australians to sign up. Singapore, which is considered a more compliant society, has developed a similar app but only 20 per cent of its citizens have agreed to share their mobile phone data with the Government. That app, called TraceTogether, uses bluetooth technology to record contact with other people, even if you do not know them. Prime Minister Scott Morrison discussed technological tactics in the fight against COVID-19 with Singaporean Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong three weeks ago. Singapore even shared some computer coding to help with the app development. "We need a greater degree of tracing capability for contacts, and that can happen much more quickly than it does now," Mr Morrison said on Tuesday. "We need a greater health capacity to be able to respond to these sort of outbreaks and respond very effectively. "Brendan Murphy speaks at a press conference. Chief Medical Officer Brendan Murphy also indicated the app was in the advanced stages of development. "We're very keen to use it and use it perhaps even more extensively than Singapore," Dr Murphy said. "Obviously there's a conversation to be had with the community on the acceptability of it. "But we think that the idea of the app is a really excellent one if you've programmed it properly, and got the right community buy-in, so we're actively looking at that." Attorney General Christian Porter is examining the privacy implications of the app.

Full Link

What happens if less than 40% of citizens voluntarily opt-in for this after the government has spent likely millions of dollars developing this app? Will it be a case similar to what we have seen when not enough citizens were perceived to be adhering to "social distancing" (man that phrase really grates on me) where they then enforce much harsher lock down measures on everybody as a result of the actions of a few?

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMALLYETALLIAM

Geo fencing was always the next step.

Gotta test it out to make sure it works right?

Well boys and girls. Take a look around. We're spending trillions in an effort to redistribute wealth. Propping up the markets artificially. We had the patriot act not too long ago, making it possible to circumvent every part of the constitution so long as you're deemed the T word. Now we're on complete lock down. Five eyes have been spying on the whole western world. Now they're starting to humor full blown geo fencing. What's next, social credit score?

For as much as we act like we're on some platitude of muh free society, muh rights, and free markets... We're all starting to look like the very things we all collectively escaped at one time, and still criticize others for now.

I can't tell the difference between us, authoritarians, communists, take your pick. The only thing anyone can argue that much of what I listed isn't implemented widespread... Well, it's all in place. All they gotta do is flip a switch.

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Geo fencing was always the next step.

Gotta test it out to make sure it works right?

Well boys and girls. Take a look around. We're spending trillions in an effort to redistribute wealth. Propping up the markets artificially. We had the patriot act not too long ago, making it possible to circumvent every part of the constitution so long as you're deemed the T word. Now we're on complete lock down. Five eyes have been spying on the whole western world. Now they're starting to humor full blown geo fencing. What's next, social credit score?

For as much as we act like we're on some platitude of muh free society, muh rights, and free markets... We're all starting to look like the very things we all collectively escaped at one time, and still criticize others for now.

I can't tell the difference between us, authoritarians, communists, take your pick. The only thing anyone can argue that much of what I listed isn't implemented widespread... Well, it's all in place. All they gotta do is flip a switch.

I don't know where they got the 40% adoption rate from, it has to be far more than that to validate the CP/MP/SP claims to the observer, like, "you have no contact with a virus carrier at this time" or similar.... and the app is more Apple and Google produced.

I find it strange how Apple or Google should pick this time of pandemic to Alpha test on the fly, which they have done anyway.

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 09:25 PM
link   

This already exists. they are just doing their own version of it ("... allow Facebook to know your location. Yes/No").

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

As much as I like to believe we live in one of, if not the best society known to history I have to agree with your sentiments. Illusory freedoms.

That said, there is not much I am restricted from doing which I wish to do with my life (barring current circumstances)

posted on Apr, 15 2020 @ 01:46 AM
link   

I was surprised to see Google and Apple pop up so quickly with a joint 'citizen tracker' proposal. Then the UK Government came up with its own varient. Now the Australian.

Anonimity of the app doesnt matter, nor if its voluntary or not.

The pressure is social.

If there is no law in place to stop discrimination against people not having the app, then the app is a basis for discrimination.

Imagine hoing for a job and being asked if you have the tracker on your phone as the employer is Covid-19 sensitive on behalf of all there staff.

What do you think the outcome would be if you said "I don't use it"?

In the UK we are seeing a prime time TV presenter under scrutiny for suggesting, in some way, a link between Covid-19 transmission and 5G towers.

Although the idea is stupendous and straight from Dr Who, there is, I think, a cause and effect link.

The cause is technology transmits infomation about the spread of the virus far quicker than the impact of the virus spreads.

The effect is we have the time to prepare for it by, say, 'lockdown' , 'self isolation', and 'panic buying', and afterwards by the capability to monitor the spread closely, and act on the information.

However, the 'assumed' preparation, and the following perceived 'protection', seed a version of apartheid far more insidious than the original medical virus.

For example, those who follow the rules / those who dont, those who posses scarce items / those who dont , those who have the tracker / those who don't...

The tracker provides a basis on which to make discriminatory judgements about people.

So my view is the tracking technology was always going to happen in some form, what is missing is the legal framework to ban asking for proof a person has the tracker enanled.

The legal framework should be put in place before the tracker is promoted.

posted on Apr, 15 2020 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Doxanoxa

I like your sentiments although it is perfectly reasonable in my mind for a TV presenter to be scrutinised for drawing links between 5G and the virus- that is absolute bloody lunacy.

I hadn't considered the social pressures in relation to the tracker app though thanks for kickstarting that train of thought

posted on Apr, 17 2020 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I just found out about this tactic of the government yesterday, and now the government are saying that they are considering making it mandatory to have on your phone if not enough people download it.
They keep trotting out the lines
'if you stay home you'll be saving someone's life'
'if you keep the 1.5m apart you'll be saving someone's life'
and now
“If you download this app you’ll be helping save someone’s life.”
This is just another way into the Orwellian society that they crave so much.

posted on Apr, 19 2020 @ 04:05 AM
link   
a reply to: braxeus

Can you provide a link to a threat of this being made mandatory? First I've heard of it

posted on Apr, 19 2020 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Really, this already exists they are just asking for people to volunteer to it.

Will you be one of them ?

posted on May, 5 2020 @ 12:21 AM
link   

"Restaurant and Catering Australia has issued its reopening guidelines to National Cabinet, which include a series of “practical, low-cost measures” to get restaurants running again.

The measures include:

• All patrons must have the COVIDSafe app or record their name and number at the place they dine in so they can be contacted later if needed"
www.news.com.au... 5d66b17d

Those volunteer numbers will probably see a big jump.

top topics

join