It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump: When somebody is the president of the United States, the authority is total.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Honest question here. I’m neither a Trump hater or fanatic but there is something that has made me curious. If Trump has/had such authority all along why isn’t he taking more heat for killing the economy? If the decision was his then shouldn’t he be taking the brunt of it because of that? Whatever the excuses are as to why he didn’t reopen the country sooner valid or otherwise should be irrelevant to those who believe irreparable damage has been done to economy.

If your middle management and employees sway your decisions or do things you don’t like and you do nothing and your company is losing money the board isn’t going to care are they? They will replace the top person. All responsibility goes back to the top. Why does he seem to be getting a free pass in this regard? It’s all the governors and peoples faults whom he apparently had the power to stop all along.

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Hey ya! Looky here what I can still buy on line at Walmart!
www.walmart.com...

No you can't. You could buy the Perfume. All the rest is out of stock.

You could stand to smell a little fresher.

Thanks for playing.

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: links234
In yesterdays coronavirus briefing Trump insisted that he and the federal government have all the power;

"The federal government has absolute power. As to whether I'll use that power, we'll see."

Trump falsely claims that 'when somebody is the president of the United States, the authority is total'

Between this and his desire to be 'president-for-life' I'm pretty happy that more people are buying guns. The government's power must be kept in-check, either through the branches of government or by the states. He is not a king.

Its a national state of emergency... Which means he has full executive power.
edit on 14-4-2020 by rounda because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: links234

Well, he did comply with Democrats about calling an national emergency wich gives him a lot more power than normal.

He just hasn't used it like they wanted since there was. NO need to it. There are still state of emergency powers in place that were set by other presidents as well.

He has a lot more to say about what goes down then a president with out any emergency acts put into place.
edit on 14-4-2020 by cognizant420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 11:29 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: DetectiveT

Are we certain (aka "proof") that Trump directly ordered the State Shutdowns and Lockdowns ?

👁️ 🥶 👁️

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I mean, he's not wrong. Technically the last 20 years (especially) of presidents have completely eliminated whatever was left of checks and balances. Now you just get people who pay lip service to them until something comes along that gives them an opportunity to go "that far" and even farther. Precedent set. Next brick. That's how you build an authoritarian state.

He's not wrong. He's disgusting but he isn't wrong. A long line of presidents and precedents have given the Executive far more authority than was ever intended. And they exploit every single "tragedy" to the hilt. Well, they openly exploit the big ones like 9/11. The little microtragedies like mass shootings? They kind of just let them go and wait for the cumulative weight of them to build up to people deminding for them to "do something!"

But anyway. Yeah. Today's executive pretty much has the authority to do almost anything. Although it does kind of depend on how much support they have. When it comes to the president using that authority to prevent a complete economic meltdown, probably no one is going to disagree with him on action even if maybe they should on principle.

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: jrod

I said he followed the advice from HIS military and medical experts.

You can find all sorts of people with PHDs who could be called experts that have opinions ranging from lock everyone up to business as usual.

He listened to the ones he chose. Which in Fauci’s case is the guy who the last 5 administrations have listened too. Someone considered to be the best in the world, by many on the left and right.

Of course now that he seems to support Trump’s decision making he is no longer an expert that should be listened too if you are on the left.

edit on 14-4-2020 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 11:37 AM
link   

The Courts will eventually decide who was violating the Constitutional rights of Citizens, not twisted assumptions and mis-quotes and out-of-context opinions 👁️🥶👁️

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 11:43 AM
link   

“The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people”

How can a document that has no power then delegate power? It doesn’t say powers not delegated by the government it clearly states powers not delegated by the constitution. Power is determined and delegated by the Constitution. The Consitution is what gives all three branches their power. And the Constitution is what gives the people their power and protection from the government.

The constitution is the most powerful document in the world.

How can you possibly prove my point and insist I’m wrong in the same reply?

The power of the Constitution was diminished due to the declaration of a national emergency. At the end of the emergency power returns to the Constitution, just like I said. The Supreme Court is the voice of the Constitution. The Constitution has its own branch of Government to protect it.

edit on 14-4-2020 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: pavil

He had it when it was an emergency to shut down. He can't tell anyone to reopen.
What is his leverage? What happens if someone just doesnt?

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

Yeah.
No.

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

He can say anything he likes. And often does.
He can't order them.
edit on 4142020 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: pavil

He had it when it was an emergency to shut down. He can't tell anyone to reopen.
What is his leverage? What happens if someone just doesnt?

“To hell with the government!” Avery yelled in April 1944 at Attorney General Francis Biddle, who had flown to Chicago in hopes of placating him. “I want none of your damned advice.”

Biddle ordered two National Guardsmen to lift Avery out of his office chair and carry him out of the building. “You ... New Dealer!” 

link

Glad that could never happen in America, huh?
edit on 14-4-2020 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 11:56 AM
link   

a reply to: Gothmog

He can say anything he likes. And often does.
He can't order them.

He said he would be working with all the Governors 🥳

In context 🥳

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: rounda

In yesterdays coronavirus briefing Trump insisted that he and the federal government have all the power;

"The federal government has absolute power. As to whether I'll use that power, we'll see."

Trump falsely claims that 'when somebody is the president of the United States, the authority is total'

Between this and his desire to be 'president-for-life' I'm pretty happy that more people are buying guns. The government's power must be kept in-check, either through the branches of government or by the states. He is not a king.

Why would he reopen businesses if a national emergency still existed?

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: DetectiveT

Are we certain (aka "proof") that Trump directly ordered the State Shutdowns and Lockdowns ?

👁️ 🥶 👁️

Yes! From the bunker he did.

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Going back to business would mean the emergency is over.

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 12:00 PM
link   
S reply to: xuenchen

No he never did.
He didn't want the responsibility of what that might lead to.

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: rounda

Why would he reopen businesses if a national emergency still existed?

Because they were open during the first part of the National Emergency.

So they can be open once again as the National Emergency winds down.

You don't lift the National Emergency until most of America is back humming again.

When the N.E. is lifted, benefits to unemployed individuals and businesses grind to a stop.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join