It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Covid and Minority Mortality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I may catch heat but this topic has just hit me wrong.

The talking heads and politicians are now on this topic heavy.
I don't have a bunch of letters from academia at the end of my name but I do have critical thinking skills.
And while a fan of conspiracies, I don't think anyone can say with a straight face that the covid was released to target minorities.Not like theories years ago about the HIV.

When looking at root causes, you just keep asking "Why?" until you run of of answers.
Parents, I'm sure your kids have done this to you before....until you get to "Because I said so". LOL

They point to minorities having a lack of access to health care, healthy foods, etc.

So let's look at that for a minute.

Why don't they have access to health care?
Is it lack of insurance? Is it lack of transportation?

So why is there a lack of insurance or transportation?
Is it because of a lack of financial resources from employment?
So why is that? Lack of skills/education?

Why is that? In America, EVERYONE has the ability to receive a public education.
EVERYONE also has the ability to receive grants, scholarships, etc. for higher education or trade school.
Is it because they, or their families, didn't place value on education?

Is it because they came from single parent homes and the parent was too busy working to help with education?
So why are there single parent homes?
Why do women often choose immature/irresponsible men to have unprotected sex with?
Why do the men choose to be immature and irresponsible by failing their kids and leaving them?

The articles I read suggest diabetes, high blood pressure, smoking/asthma as contributors.
Again why?
Poor eating habits and lack of exercise. Why? Back to lack of education and parental input?

The talking heads were insinuating that quality food and housing, etc. were to blame.

Minorities aren't dying because the US doesn't provide free healthcare, free food stamps, free housing or free college to all.
They're dying because of a lack of personal responsibility for the choices made in life.

They chose not to get a good education, they chose not to apply themselves, they chose to eat poorly and smoke or have a sedentary lifestyle.

And our society feeds into this with the victim mentality and nanny state environment.

Your life is the sum total of all the choices you've made.
If you don't like your life, make different, hopefully better, choices.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: SuperDaveAPK

Its probably also a safe assumption that people living in close proximity, with shared airspace, are also more likely to contract COVID.

I would imagine if we looked at low-income minorities in spread out, rural areas, their numbers would look far better than white folk living in densely-populated cities.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Although I don't know the specifics of the NY outbreak, it is a fair bet that density is a factor there, too. The number of high rise apartment buildings where people share hallways and elevators must mean the place is teeming with viruses of all sorts. The virus obviously does not care what color or race you are. It targets what it can find. Lifestyle choices play a part in this, just as they did with HIV.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 03:25 PM
link   

And our society feeds into this with the victim mentality and nanny state environment. Your life is the sum total of all the choices you've made. If you don't like your life, make different, hopefully better, choices.

Yes, many people make bad choices -- as you noted -- often times because they do not know any better. Sometimes because they cannot know any better. And other times they do know better but somehow think they can cheat the system. Those famous last words: "It won't happen to me..."

But we cannot whitewash history. We cannot pretend that hundreds of years of systemic and institutionalized racism intended to harm people of the Black race did not happen, and have not had en enduring effect still felt today.

I would also suggest that it is in everyone's best interest to do so because many of the same (but modified as appropriate) tactics are being used to not raise Black people to the level of "White Privilege," but to reduce us all to second class citizens.

This focus on who is dying is just fodder for identity politics and personal destruction.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 03:26 PM
link   

They chose not to get a good education, they chose not to apply themselves, they chose to eat poorly and smoke or have a sedentary lifestyle.

This post is exactly why we need to have this conversation. I was like maybe the media is blowing this out of porpotion but maybe not now......

If you are a low income minority I will say black person you dont;; always get the choice of a good education. That person's roadmap to a good education and being able to "apply themselves" may be a little different. For a black person who is low income the path to a college education is through a scholarship, and that is usually found through athletics. Now since there are fewer of these scholarships out there and there are a lot more low income black youth out there. Your chances are small of geting that scholarship. Which means your pathway to a good education is made more difficut.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Governor Cuomo said 85% of the people who die of covid-19 are obese. That is the number one highest risk factor.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 03:33 PM
link   

s it because they came from single parent homes and the parent was too busy working to help with education?
So why are there single parent homes?
Why do women often choose immature/irresponsible men to have unprotected sex with?
Why do the men choose to be immature and irresponsible by failing their kids and leaving them?

I don't know if I am going to have the time to dissect everything here. But some of the questions you asked are not solely a minority or black issue.

Because there are white women who sometimes choose immature/irresponsible men to have unprotected sex with.

And there are also white men who fail their kids and leave them.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

But the topic in the media isn't white people dying at higher rates. During a root cause analysis, you wouldn't spend cycles addressing subjects that aren't included in the original problem.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

I appreciate the thought you gave in a reply. But you just restated what's already been said. I'm asking to think about the why.

Why does one single parent child go to Harvard and another sell drugs on a street corner? I say it is the choice the first student made that they are in control and are determined to break the cycle.

There are a ton of non-athletic scholarships available.

www.scholarships.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Lol... ha ha, oh man...... how dare you

At the risk of sounding Racist.... which I could care less about, there are differences in cultural identity, hence the big beefs about cultural appropriation and stereotype food choices...... The races are different, like it or not. Their lifestyles are different.... like that or not.

Your last paragraph says it clearly.Your life is the sum total of all the choices you've made.

edit on 13-4-2020 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 04:09 PM
link   
While the minority population is dying at a higher rate they are also catching it at a higher rate. I don't think catching it a higher rate could possibly have anything to do with access to healthcare. Higher rate of infection equals higher rate of death. Speaking from my home state, the biggest outbreak just happened to be in the same area of the city that got burned down during rioting a few years ago. Perhaps it has something to do with the mindset of these populations. Maybe following recommendations would be a good thing but they don't want to.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: American-philosopher

This post is exactly why we need to have this conversation. I was like maybe the media is blowing this out of porpotion but maybe not now......

If you are a low income minority I will say black person you dont;; always get the choice of a good education. That person's roadmap to a good education and being able to "apply themselves" may be a little different. For a black person who is low income the path to a college education is through a scholarship, and that is usually found through athletics. Now since there are fewer of these scholarships out there and there are a lot more low income black youth out there. Your chances are small of geting that scholarship. Which means your pathway to a good education is made more difficut.

Plenty of scholarship opportunities out there, I'm not buying this argument. They give scholarships for good grades too, ya know. There are also things called "Grants" that you can get, that don't require you to pay them back. They are very easy to get.

This simple idea that Black youth only has athletics to lean on is part of the problem, not any parts of the solution. If they applied themselves they could do it on grades, like 95% of the other people getting scholarships.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Chicago mayor Rahm Emanuel was drummed out of office for telling the truth about why Minority communities have more crime and diseases.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Governor Cuomo said 85% of the people who die of covid-19 are obese. That is the number one highest risk factor.

everyone trying to come up with their own answer when it's so simple...right here

Also look at some of the MASSIVE dilapidated housing complexes in NYC like Co-Op City, Bronx and Lefrak City, Queens. All of those people sharing the same elevator, living in a tiny apartment with kids who have been out playing basketball all day--it's no wonder why it spread so fast. Couple that with rampant diabetes and asthma and you have a recipe for disaster.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

71.6% of the country is overweight or obese, may have something to do with such a high percentage of deaths being those who are obese.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Let's start your life off in South Bronx, Compton, Watts or Any other neighbourhood manufactured to breed crime and disadvantage and see you waltz your way to college.

You sound like an 18 year old with a hedge fund and a terrible attitude.

Did a black dude take your girl in high school or something?

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 08:41 PM
link   

SO I dont understand what you are saying or asking? Are you trying to ask are black people making bad choices??

top topics

join