It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food shortages becoming more apparent.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 10:59 PM
link   
apnews.com...
Smithfield closes South Dakota pork plant due to coronavirus

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) — Virginia-based Smithfield Foods announced Sunday that it is closing its pork processing plant in Sioux Falls until further notice after hundreds of employees tested positive for the coronavirus — a step the head of the company warned could hurt the nation’s meat supply.

The announcement came a day after South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem and Sioux Falls Mayor Paul TenHaken wrote to Smithfield and urged the company to suspend operations for 14 days so that its workers could self-isolate and the plant could be disinfected.

The plant, which employs about 3,700 people in the state’s largest city, has become a hot spot for infections. Health officials said Sunday that 293 of the 730 people who have been diagnosed with COVID-19 in South Dakota work at the plant.

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Wait, there's more. Smithfield is Chinese owned, apparently.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 4/12/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
Ive been lecturing friends for years on being prepared.

They used to take my words with a grain of salt, but for the last 2 months, things have changed. They are not only listening, they are beginning to take action.

Ill probably be ok for at least 2 years, plus I have raised bed gardens teaming with food plants. Potatoes, chard, onions, herbs, cabbage, lettuce, brussels, cauliflower, peppers, peas, etc

We are in for a rough ride. Buckle up

Setting up a garden is a good idea in general.

What do you do to keep varmints away, like crows for instance, my yard is constantly aerated due to crows, and skunks.. Gunfire is not allowed.

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets
We don't have a food shortage. Farmers are throwing food away from several reports. Go buy some dry beans, canned goods, rice and frozen vegetables. If it gets really bad dig up some worms, grab a rod and head to the local river or start trapping or shooting squirrels. Getting tired of this defeatism mentality. Nobody is starving to death in the US. In many regards the obesity problem in the US is a bigger problem than the virus. The virus also targets fat bodies.

People's issues are much more diverse than a post like this makes them seem. Yes. Many people are overweight at a basic level but the American way of life is also to work yourself to death so most people have no time to do anything but work all week long, such that they're exhausted by the weekend and don't want to do anything but rest and recreation.

The typical work day (while exhausting) tends to not be very exercise oriented so people are inclined to eat convenient food that tastes good. Hey! Imagine that! People who live in slavery might just turn to junk food as a coping mechanism for their misery).

Yeah. People should live in abject misery and eat like rabbits to preserve their walking corpses long enough to squeeze a few more years of pure profit and labor out of them.

The American ruling class is squealing and writhing in pain because for the first time in the lives of the people who own and run it, they get the feeling that it might end soon.

But let's go back to blaming the plebs for being fat pigs and latching onto any form of comfort and pleasure they can get their paws on.

Interesting take on obesity. It's not just poor people though. Every class of society is hit by it so income is not the fundamental issue. I don't have all the answers but soda being the #1 food item purchased with food stamps is a good start.

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Crops are rotting in the field because there is nobody to harvest and process them.

Serious question here: What crops are rotting in the fields in the US? Farmers in the midwest have just started planting and in states like Iowa and Idaho they usually don't start planting until May. Even way down south where planting starts earlier the crops aren't mature yet.

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

Don't start asking logical questions, just curl up in a fetal position and cry. That's what they want. I barely get on here anymore, every other thread is about how something is going to kill us, for sure this time. Im just sick of hearing it, if it happens, then deal with it. Grow a garden, raise some chicken, but dwelling on it doesn't help.

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

Crops are rotting in the field because there is nobody to harvest and process them.

Serious question here: What crops are rotting in the fields in the US? Farmers in the midwest have just started planting and in states like Iowa and Idaho they usually don't start planting until May. Even way down south where planting starts earlier the crops aren't mature yet.

I saw a news report about tomatoes rotting on the ground because in that state, I believe it was Florida, 80 percent of the tomatoes grown were for restaurants and restaurants aren't buying tomatoes right now. Why these tomatoes couldn't have been sold to grocery stores, I don't know.

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: MissSmartypants

I understand that, restaurants are down, so they're not buying produce. But, the food is there. And being as the food exists, someone will find a way to get it to market, that's the capitalist way. And once this covid fear process is over, I really think the economy is going to bounce back rather quickly. People still want to work and raise capital. We have to remember, we know what has caused this effect, and we know how to solve it. Once solved I do believe the flood gates will be opened.

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Why these tomatoes couldn't have been sold to grocery stores, I don't know.

Because the grocery stores had all the tomatoes they could sell?

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 11:49 PM
link   

The American ruling class is squealing and writhing in pain because for the first time in the lives of the people who own and run it, they get the feeling that it might end soon.

I would change just one thing in the above quote;

It’s not just the “American” ruling class, it’s the ruling class worldwide that is “squealing and writhing”.

This why we are hearing such a hew and cry to “get back to normal” as soon as possible, despite the health risks.

There is abject terror that the “slaves” might just begin to realize that their chains aren’t real and their masters have no real power over them.

It could be a new day dawning, unless we continue to pretend that we are slaves.
edit on 12-4-2020 by Bhadhidar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I have been keeping an eye on agriculture and consumption. We are going to experience a food shortage through this year. The grain reserves are going down considerably which included grains fed to livestock. Chickens need food and the food price of the chicken food is still stable, but reserves are going down. We do need more masks for the people working in the food industry.

Let's look at the bright side after this is all over.

Farmers will be more respected for their hard work and will be getting more for their products eventually, which in my opinion is good. People in this country demand cheap food from the store and reasonable prices in restaurants, yet go out and spend lots of money on things they want but do not really need, they put people creating technology on a pedistal and not the people who work hard to supply what we really need to survive. I have been saying since I became a member that schools should promote farming as a prestigious job, not technology jobs that supply people with wants and not needs. Do we need that seventy inch TV that goes obsolete within a few years? Do we need all the electronic gadgets and computer games? Do we need a fancy toaster oven plus a range with all kinds of fancy stuff on it, do we need a thousand dollar fridge with all the bells and whistles on it. Do we need cars that drive themselves and do we need to be taking trips all over the country and world, we should be paying surcharges on air travel. It is our wants that destroy our environment, not our needs.

Maybe it is good that people will learn to respect the food they eat, so much food is wasted these days. If we want to do the most to combat global climate change, quit flying all over the world, quit going on cruises, it takes less fuel per person to drive your car to see your kids two states away than to fly over there. Cheap airfare is destroying the environment. Cruise ships destroy our environment and spread sickness to the masses. Flying all over the world increases risks of pandemics, a mutated microbe can form in any country that has lots of unnatural chemicals entering the environment. Look how MRSA formed, even natural chemistry that is too concentrated can force microbial evolution.

This should be a wakeup call for our society to learn to appreciate the things we need, if we did, everyone would be less sick, if you have local farmers growing foods naturally that food is usually better than food treated with chemicals to be shipped half way across the world. Remember, the roaring twenties caused the great depression, and the pandemic before that time was contributed to by ignorance of the people of this country. That pandemic did not effect everyone, people brought it to others. People were traveling all over then too and much of that was tourism and unnecessary travel.

I was thinking we could coast through this, but within the last two weeks, we have decided it is goint to last longer, so we will continue to buy food yet to keep our stock at the levels it is at now, we will replace what we eat as long as we can. I do not want my kids to have to stand in the lines getting food from the food pantries when sickness is around. I have great respect for the food pantries, it is one of the best programs this country has. It is efficient and cost effective, but those food pantries cannot get food if the farmers cannot produce it either.

As with the toilet paper crisis, we are up sheets creek with out a turdle

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: MissSmartypants

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

I saw a news report about tomatoes rotting on the ground because in that state, I believe it was Florida, 80 percent of the tomatoes grown were for restaurants and restaurants aren't buying tomatoes right now. Why these tomatoes couldn't have been sold to grocery stores, I don't know.

Maybe because too many tomatoes are grown? Pretty much everybody I know grows their own tomatoes. I even grow my own and I live in an apartment in the city.

I worked in a few grocery stores in my time. More tomatoes rot and have to be thrown away than are actually sold.

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Oppositeoftruth

Logically speaking the meal that you didn't have in a Restaurant you still would have had at home. So the amount of food consumed would have been the same.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Why these tomatoes couldn't have been sold to grocery stores, I don't know.

Because the grocery stores had all the tomatoes they could sell?

No profit in caning extra?

I make sauce, and freeze extra tomatoes where I live. I guess they weren't set up. I guess they weren't ready.

Are you ready?

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

originally posted by: visitedbythem
Ive been lecturing friends for years on being prepared.

They used to take my words with a grain of salt, but for the last 2 months, things have changed. They are not only listening, they are beginning to take action.

Ill probably be ok for at least 2 years, plus I have raised bed gardens teaming with food plants. Potatoes, chard, onions, herbs, cabbage, lettuce, brussels, cauliflower, peppers, peas, etc

We are in for a rough ride. Buckle up

Setting up a garden is a good idea in general.

What do you do to keep varmints away, like crows for instance, my yard is constantly aerated due to crows, and skunks.. Gunfire is not allowed.

No cows here or at our mountain property. We will use solar powered electric fence in the mountains to protect from deer

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 12:24 AM
link   

We don't have a food shortage. Farmers are throwing food away from several reports. Go buy some dry beans, canned goods, rice and frozen vegetables. If it gets really bad dig up some worms, grab a rod and head to the local river or start trapping or shooting squirrels. Getting tired of this defeatism mentality. Nobody is starving to death in the US. In many regards the obesity problem in the US is a bigger problem than the virus. The virus also targets fat bodies.

People's issues are much more diverse than a post like this makes them seem. Yes. Many people are overweight at a basic level but the American way of life is also to work yourself to death so most people have no time to do anything but work all week long, such that they're exhausted by the weekend and don't want to do anything but rest and recreation.

The typical work day (while exhausting) tends to not be very exercise oriented so people are inclined to eat convenient food that tastes good. Hey! Imagine that! People who live in slavery might just turn to junk food as a coping mechanism for their misery).

Yeah. People should live in abject misery and eat like rabbits to preserve their walking corpses long enough to squeeze a few more years of pure profit and labor out of them.

But let's go back to blaming the plebs for being fat pigs and latching onto any form of comfort and pleasure they can get their paws on.

Interesting take on obesity. It's not just poor people though. Every class of society is hit by it so income is not the fundamental issue. I don't have all the answers but soda being the #1 food item purchased with food stamps is a good start.

Every class of society is still living in a gilded cage. Even the rich cannot let their guard down for a second or they will be right down there in the general population fighting for their lives just like everyone else.

Anyway, as is so often pointed out, the 1 percent is a very small population and so if you're complaining about people being too fat and it being the worst problem ever, I assume you're mainly talking about the other 99%. Because, you know. If you're complaining about too much noise in your neighborhood and 99% of the people in your neighborhood are making a lot of noise, that's probably what you're mainly hearing. The 1 percent who are making a lot of noise but doing it in a soundproof room would not even be a blip if everyone else would be quiet.
edit on 13-4-2020 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Consider a slingshot? Fun and functional.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Every class of society is still living in a gilded cage. Even the rich cannot let their guard down for a second or they will be right down there in the general population fighting for their lives just like everyone else.

Anyway, as is so often pointed out, the 1 percent is a very small population and so if you're complaining about people being too fat and it being the worst problem ever, I assume you're mainly talking about the other 99%. Because, you know. If you're complaining about too much noise in your neighborhood and 99% of the people in your neighborhood are making a lot of noise, that's probably what you're mainly hearing. The 1 percent who are making a lot of noise but doing it in a soundproof room would not even be a blip if everyone else would be quiet.

Oh, and I forgot to point out that yes. Also, human beings are just fundamentally lazy. We just are. We're born that way. Except when there's something wrong with us and we're workaholics and masochistic gluttons for punishment. And those ones like to pretend it's normal and expect everyone else to try and do the same.

So yeah. Even people who have no "excuse" to be fat are anyway because being superpredators, humans have more cheap and tasty food available than we have desire to sweat off excess calories. If you want to play the blame game, we can go all day long and keep going. It's not like it matters. One way or another it all comes down to money. And at the end of the day if you're doing anything the people who control the money (and thus the world) don't like, you will hear about it.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 12:50 AM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

You can get ice cube trays that make round "cubes" of just the right size.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I imagine they shatter on impact -- harmless aside from a nasty sting and unpleasant memory. Humane.
edit on 4/13/2020 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join