It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RiP Sir Stirling Moss , Motor racing legend dies aged 90

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Today motor sport mourns the passing of one of the greatest racing drivers F1 and motor racing in general has ever known , Sir Stirling Moss.
He was a driver from an age of heroism , bravery and balls of steel , driving cars with no seal belts or traction control that were merely cockpits stuck on to a chassis with wheels and a mighty powerful engine powering them on to likely oblivion , many died but some survived to become legends of the sport and the pioneers of motor sport in general.

Stirling won 16 F1 races in the 10 years he competed in the series and famously passed up his chance to take the title in 1958 by vouching for his rival Mike Hawthorn after an incident nearly saw him disqualified from the race , Hawthorn would go on to take the title but tragically lose his life the following year in a road accident.

Moss famously lost out on the F1 title in 1958 to compatriot Mike Hawthorn after vouching for his rival and preventing him being disqualified when he was accused of reversing on track in the late-season Portuguese Grand Prix.
www.bbc.co.uk...

Stirling Moss's Ridiculous F1 win , the 1958 Argentine Grand Prix saw Moss outfox his rivals in an under powered car by completing the race with a no stop strategy that saw him finish the race with virtually no rubber left on his tires ... balls of steel !

He also became the first British winner of the Mille Miglia endurance race in 1955.

Fangio Vs Moss in 1955 at one of my favourite circuits , Spa-Francorchamps , race start about 12.00 on vid.

RiP Sir Sterling , your legend lives on in the hearts of anyone who's ever dreamed of turning a wheel in competition.

A leather cap and a whole lot of luck.

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 06:44 AM
link   
He was a gentleman and a racing legend.

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 06:46 AM
link   
simply to survive that era of motorsports - was an accomplishment - but to survive and win - kudos sir stirling moss

you shall be missed

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 09:16 AM
link   
A wonderful man, a great ambassador to the sport, he will be missed. A true legend!

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: SoEpic

I will just leave this, two of the best

edit on b5910f2020202030007 by bigfoot007 because: added

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 03:14 PM
link   
RIP indeed - a legend in his own time.

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Fantastic post for a fantastic man.

I heard the news this morning and you've done the man justice.

RIP Sir Stirling Moss.
edit on 1242020 by Wide-Eyes because: Auto correct bs

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex
I knew about Sterling Moss since I was just post embryonic, and he was clever too, his house was IT'ish laden with practical'ish gadgets years ago, and more than many households are today...R.I.P.Sterling.

new topics

top topics

join