It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Build Trouble Shooting Help

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 08:36 PM
link   
We have the new hardware installed and firing up. Everything works ... until Windows starts. At that point, we lose both keyboard and mouse no matter what we've tried. We're working with the Bios trying to find a configuration that lets us work with Windows. We got Windows far enough to start a repair, but it wants to restore and there's no keyboard or mouse. We can at least get the keyboard to light up but that's it.

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I am suspecting we may have to re-install Windows.

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 08:42 PM
link   

This happened to me with both the pc that I built.

My only fix was to use the os disk wipe and reinstall.
After a few times the keyboard and mouse would work.

My issue was that my pc would not except drivers to some of my hardware. My usb slots included.
That was fixed by windows update of all things. Then I was able to update the drivers and the mouse and keyboard worked fine after that.

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

So if I can get a Win 10 update rolling, would that accomplish the same thing do you think?

Our other thought was to pull the HD, save anything that needs it, and then nuke it ... assuming we can do that without working keyboard.
edit on 11-4-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 08:49 PM
link   

It might.
Though I'm on windows 7. But something in windows update fixed an error with my universal serial bus controllers.
If I remember correctly.

Before I figured it out because I never run windows update on my machines. Dumb I know.
But anyway before I figured it out I had to manually install drivers on stuff that was plugged into the usbs.

Is your mouse and keyboard usb? If yes then get some that aren't and try those. That's what I had to do.

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

This happened to me with both the pc that I built.

My only fix was to use the os disk wipe and reinstall.
After a few times the keyboard and mouse would work.

My issue was that my pc would not except drivers to some of my hardware. My usb slots included.
That was fixed by windows update of all things. Then I was able to update the drivers and the mouse and keyboard worked fine after that.

Will that work even if we can't use the keyboard or mouse to accept any prompts? They blank out as soon as the windows insignia pops up.

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

It might.
Though I'm on windows 7. But something in windows update fixed an error with my universal serial bus controllers.
If I remember correctly.

Before I figured it out because I never run windows update on my machines. Dumb I know.
But anyway before I figured it out I had to manually install drivers on stuff that was plugged into the usbs.

Is your mouse and keyboard usb? If yes then get some that aren't and try those. That's what I had to do.

What are the other choices for peripherals? The new keyboard motherboard doesn't have options less advanced than USB...
edit on 11-4-2020 by Teikiatsu because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 08:55 PM
link   
You probably tried this but while windows is running unplug the mouse and plug it into a diffrent port.

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

What are the other choices for peripherals? The new keyboard motherboard doesn't have options less advanced than USB...

At all? Might be out of luck then. Though I am in no way an expert on this stuff.
The removing and nuking the hd doesn't sound like a thing I would do in this case by the way. But again I'm no expert. For all I know that might help you.

Wait your not ketsuko. lol

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 08:56 PM
link   
What system board ?
Are you plugging in toUSB 3.0/3.1 ports ?
Lots of unknowns here
If so , there are uEFI settings and chipset drivers that HAVE to be installed first.

edit on 4/11/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
What system board ?
Are you plugging in toUSB 3.0/3.1 ports ?
Lots of unknowns here
If so , there are uEFI settings and chipset drivers that HAVE to be installed first.

3.0 ports.
You think that's what windows update downloaded for me?

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Have you guys tried booting up without the mouse and keyboard plugged in, then plugging them in? Asking because sometimes windows on boot up might not recognize the plug ins and once booted and THEN plugging them in windows will sort it.

Also if you can boot into bios make sure legacy usb support is enabled.
edit on 11-4-2020 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

It's a Gigabyte AORUS X570 Elite.

It refuses to give us any options to install anything. We have the disk, and we've set the BIOS to boot through the disk first, but we haven't been asked if we want to install anything nor have we seen anything installed. We've been looking for a way to find out why because we though there would be stuff that needs to come off that disk and the peripherals all work until Windows gets involved.

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Have not tried that yet so far as I can tell. We have moved them around to different USB ports and in different configurations on those ports after boot though. Wouldn't that count? The only reason we know we can get the keyboard to light up at all is because we tried that. It will, but you still can't type off it. If I had to choose, obviously, I would prefer typing over the lights.

Also Windows never goes past log in screen and we can't log in without peripherals.

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Yea, that should have worked. See if the bios has legacy usb support enabled. Other than that, it is beyond my experience to help you any further.

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Mine is also a gigabyte mother board.

If there was a way to bypass the usb ports with a keyboard.....otherwise I got nothing.
But that is how what sounds like the same issue I had on my gigabyte board was fixed.
edit on 11-4-2020 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Okay, did a little digging and found that other people with the same motherboard and same issue got everything working by disabling CSM in bios.

Try that.

Link
edit on 11-4-2020 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I've set the boot disks to key off the optical drives first and they won't recognize the motherboard driver/utilities disk

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Okay, did a little digging and found that other people with the same motherboard and same issue got everything working by disabling CSM in bios.

Try that.

I'll see if i can find it

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu
a reply to: Gothmog

It's a Gigabyte AORUS X570 Elite.

It refuses to give us any options to install anything. We have the disk, and we've set the BIOS to boot through the disk first, but we haven't been asked if we want to install anything nor have we seen anything installed. We've been looking for a way to find out why because we though there would be stuff that needs to come off that disk and the peripherals all work until Windows gets involved.

Will it get to uEFI (BIOS) ?
If so , load (optimized) defaults , save and exit.
Then attempt Windows 10 safe mode by pressing the reset button on 3 different reboots.
IE - restart and before Windows boot , press the reset button (or power off)
Do the above 3 (2?) times to bring up the startup repair
Choose advanced
Then startup options
Choose safe mode with networking
If you get in , go to this web page
X570 AORUS ELITE

You are after the chipset drivers for Win 10
Download and install (should install from safe mode)

If that does not help , the drivers for the old system board are still installed in Windows 10. To resolve that is a hair pulling process.

I have that board on one of my systems.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join