It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rant On AC Service

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Totally got scammed by a HVAC company yesterday but I learned a valuable lesson for next time. If they are doing a general season inspection / cleaning on your unit(s), make them take a pic before and after or send them away. Also a reading on the coolant levels.

I went up in the attic and inspected this guy's work after he left and didn't inspect or clean anything. The coils were very dirty. I ended up buying a small shopvac and cleaning it myself. A couple weeks before I had an outlet installed in the attic so it worked great. No long extension cord needed. The drain was also dirty. Cleaned that also with the shopvac.

One thing I did not know about shopvacs is they can be used as a vac or a blower. Finally learned that after reading the directions for once. Another thing I did, I had an old roll of aluminum tape and sealed up any air leaks on the unit, even if tiny. I checked the vents inside and it made a difference. Probably blowing out about 5-8% stronger.

Summary: Could have saved myself a lot of grief if I got pics or inspected the work before he left. Won't learn that again.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 01:53 PM
link   
There are some good people who service air conditioners, but most are not very thorough. Find one that is good, one of your neighbors may know one that does a good job. But remember, unless you looked at it, you would not know. Your neighbors might believe a person is good because they came over and were pleasant to deal with, but may never have checked their work.

There are a lot of scammers out there in all fields, I am a builder and would not hire half the builders around here to build me a dog house.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Left a scathing review on Yelp and also sent them a nice email.

I told them he did basically nothing and that I would train him for the price they charged me. I would also throw in a swift kick in the ass no charge.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

That's why I do all of my own work myself. Good help is hard to find and I trust my own work.

My sister and brother in law are having problems and I was there when he was discussing what they needed to do. I just kept my mouth shut but learned real fast that the supposed technician was an amateur.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

I would love to know the name of the HVAC company.

new topics

top topics

join