It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Saudi Newspaper: Al-Zarqawi Caught

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Saudi newspaper Al Watan Daily has reported that the al-Qaeda terrorist organization's leader in Iraq, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, has been apprehended according to Iraqi sources. The alleged arrest was made near the border Iraqi-Syrian border. The day after the story was published, al-Qaeda published a statement on an Islamist website denying the reports of Zarqawi's capture, claiming "[...]Abu Musab[...]is in good health. He is preparing for battles and is leading the fight in Iraq."

www.albawaba.com
Iraqi sources have told a Saudi newspaper that al-Qaeda's man in Iraq, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, has been arrested. Al Watan daily said Sunday that the official announcement on the arrest was delayed until a new Iraqi government is in place. The purported arrest supposedly took place on the Iraqi - Syrian border, the report added.

The Saudi paper said that the arrest of al-Zarqawi was completed ahead the recent visit of US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld in Iraq. This visit took place early February.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Al-Zarqawi Still Leading the Fight in Iraq: Website
DUBAI (AFP) - The most wanted man in Iraq, Jordanian-born militant Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, is in good health and leading operations, his group said in a statement.

The Iraqi government on Monday released new pictures of the militant, who has a 25 million bounty on his head and is blamed for the worst bombings in Iraq, showing him bearded and in conversation with an individual.

The Organisation of Al-Qaeda of Jihad statement said the pictures had been in the possession of an Al-Qaeda information section worker who was killed in combat.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The veracity of the source(s) cited by the newspaper is indeterminable. Interestingly, CNN also recently aired "new" pictures of Zarqawi. Al-Qaeda issuing a statement of denial perhaps points to the credence of the claims and may well be an attempt to retain morale amongst the group's operatives.

Related News Links:
freeinternetpress.com
www.khaleejtimes.c om

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
General: Al-Zarqawi likely in Baghdad
Zarqawi snatching Bin Laden glory?
TERRORISM: New Bin Laden Tape Supports Zarqawi, Urges Election Boycott
Dead Osama Gives Mythical al-Zarqawi a Promotion

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
My apologies for missing your thread, Souljah. Your thread didn't show up in a search. Again, sorry.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
hey, no problem.
just wanted to let you know, we had a thread with this topic if you are interested in reading it.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
is this the real one? probably not

the legend of Abu Musab continues.....
The Legend of Abu Musab Al-Zarqawi (Scott Ritter)

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
Al Watan daily said Sunday that the official announcement on the arrest was delayed until a new Iraqi government is in place.

One would think if this is in fact true; the provisional government of Iraq would be gloating big time. There is absolutely no reason for them to keep it under wraps. I highly doubt this story is true.

[edit on 3/12/2005 by shots]

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   
The Saudi story broke on the 6th of this month.
There are no reports of 'confirmation' to the validity of the Al Watan reporting.

Reports coming out of Iraq on the 8th simply indicate this:
Two new pictures of Zarqawi issued as net tightens

Reports out of Kuwait on the 9th indicated this:
A Zarqawi cell "prince", six others captured in Baquba

Conclusion: Zarqawi was not caught.
(Though past reportings of this within ATS simply indicate that the Saudis and the Iraqis once had Zarqawi in custody, but because of failure to properly idenitify him, he was released.)

seekerof

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 02:02 PM
link   
If this is true and I was a MUJHADIN shouldn't I be disappointed that he didn't martyr himself. I always wondered why those Muslim leader who praised Martyrdom never actually died in combat but got caught alive, surrendered or died of other causes (e.g. Bargouti, Sadaam Hussein and Arafat respectively).

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by JudahMaccabbi
I always wondered why those Muslim leader who praised Martyrdom never actually died in combat but got caught alive, surrendered or died of other causes (e.g. Bargouti, Sadaam Hussein and Arafat respectively).

Because leaders deceiving their subjects/followers/citizens and sending them to their deaths for false causes is a human condition, not purely a Western one.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I assure you, this has No Truth in it whatsoever. Just have to take my word on this

top topics

join