It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Easter Eggs......

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 12:00 PM
link   
OMG, will there be enough eggs on the shelves when that solemn day comes ? The Children, what will become of the children ? Will the PAAS egg coloring company fail, and what will we do without gorging on hard boiled eggs on Easter afternoon...

www.usatoday.com...
www.washingtonpost.com...

Oh the children, scared for life, seeing the dog eat dog world of adults shatter their dreams...

What will you do when the time comes ? Will you turn to plastic eggs filled with candy, or as the Grinch would do....saw dust ..

Oh the Children, we must fulfill their fantasies and deliver the eggs, all colors. A rainbow of fantasy, curiosity and wonder...

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

I have chickens, so....

you want some?
I am overruneth with eggs. LOL

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom

I have chickens, so....

you want some?

We do too... even better, we have "Easter eggers"... (Americana, I believe is the breed name...)

The eggs, are pre-colored... pastel greens, blues, pinks...

No muss, no fuss...

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I just knew True Americans would Rise to the occasion God Bless America...

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 01:00 PM
link   
We still have seven dozen in our fridge, I have not brought them over for the daughters and granddaughter for their families yet. I get eight dozen every two week from a person who I have been buying eggs from for years. Production will be slowing down shortly, it is that time of year, so next time I may only be getting four dozen or so.

The best thing is they do not need the coloring, some are bluish green, some green, some tan, some brown. They got rid of all the white egg laying chickens. So, all they have to do is draw on them.

My payment for the eggs is actually support, it helps to pay for the food and occasional medicine or super glue to sew their beaks on with if they get knocked off arguing about politics. I usually buy what they have left over and give them away to my kids and sometimes my daughters workers if there is too much.

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 01:04 PM
link   

I have chickens, so....

you want some?

The daughters have been after us to get chickens, they want eggs without doing any of the work. Neither of them want to help with them at all, so I just buy eggs from a woman I know who has great tasting eggs. Of all the suppliers I have had, her eggs are the best, but it is not cheap to feed the chickens right, although in the summer, the birds run around eating all sorts of bugs and do not eat that much feed like they do in the winter.

Do you give them meal worms in the winter?
edit on 7-4-2020 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

LOL So do I! Yeah, saves time with the dye that manages to get everywhere.
Although they are even more "skittish" than normal chickens. Even more than my polish, which I never though possible.

But one lays such a pretty sky blue egg.

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Once in a while, they get the dried ones. but ours have a small run, in the pole barn for the winter, so I try to give them heads of cabbage, lettuce and they will occasionally get a dead minnow, that gets tossed during the frenzy when we give them to the ducks. We have a heated bucket in there for winter.

It's more fun to throw them in the duck pool in the summer though.

edit on 7-4-2020 by chiefsmom because: spelling

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 02:03 PM
link   

a reply to: rickymouse

Once in a while, they get the dried ones. but ours have a small run, in the pole barn for the winter, so I try to give them heads of cabbage, lettuce and they will occasionally get a dead minnow, that gets tossed during the frenzy when we give them to the ducks. We have a heated bucket in there for winter.

It's more fun to throw them in the duck pool in the summer though.

The people I know who raise them get the scrap cabbage from the store near them in the winter and the fruit and vegetable market in the spring along with some other culled veggies and lettuces and clean the veggies to get rid of any bad stuff, then they rinse everything to make sure most of the pesticides and other chemicals are off them. then give it to the chickens. The guy goes by those places almost every day so he goes in about twice a week to get the stuff. There are a couple of other people who do the same thing, so three or four people take most of the waste veggies. there are quite a few stores that do that for people around here, a service to the community which actually helps to reduce the garbage bill of the store.

They only buy one bag of meal worms in the winter, it is expensive to buy dried meal worms. I think she told me the bag was about thirty bucks. Oyster shells is also something most people buy so you need to give them. Another friend I used to get eggs from until he quit when he got in his mid sixties and his wife started having health problems used to give lots of oyster shell. You needed a sledgehammer to break into the shells sometimes to get the egg out.

I used to take care of chickens when we had the farm when I was young, that was about fifty five years ago. I also helped my cousin on an egg farm a couple of times, it was a pretty good size place. I had to use the light to check each egg to check for spots and double yolks then put them into the cartons based on their size. She collected the eggs and put them into the automatic egg washer. It took about an hour a night to do eggs, I never was there when they did the morning collection. They delivered to many stores, we bought the checks and dirties from them back in the seventies. They delivered them to my mothers and stepfathers house once a week. They had good eggs, even though there were like four chickens to the cages. Not really humane, but the chickens were well fed and looked happy, they knew no other life. We got chickens for soup from them too, too tough to roast, but they sure made good soup.
edit on 7-4-2020 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 04:46 PM
link   

We still have eggs/ meat and now plenty of tp here (Wisconsin)
We'll see if that holds up after the elections they have today

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 10:08 PM
link   

a reply to: madmac5150

LOL So do I! Yeah, saves time with the dye that manages to get everywhere.
Although they are even more "skittish" than normal chickens. Even more than my polish, which I never though possible.

But one lays such a pretty sky blue egg.

We love ours. They are quite robust; winters here can be brutal, and they fare quite well. We get anything from pink, green, blue, and even purple eggs. They get along well with our ducks, which is an added bonus.

We tried raising Polish... they just aren't cut out, for the N. Rockies. The Polish have wonderful personalities... the cold here just kills them.

top topics

join