It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CDC Director: Coronavirus Death Toll Will Be ‘Much, Much, Much Lower’ than Projected

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

And trump called it a democratic "hoax"

He called the Democrats attacking him by calling him racist/xenophobic for things like closing the borders from China a hoax, but hey whatever fits your liberal narrative...lol

edit on 7-4-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I for one am far more happy that so many strong protectors of Americas rights and liberties on ATS get a victory lap than the fact that we wont kill the world with a virus.

When the next one comes, I vow to not fence sit and try to be reasonable, as I am most likely what is wrong with America. I too will author many threads next time.

Our writing and submissions will be glorious, and blood of our forefathers will have been spilt in equal measure to the letters we put on screen.

Long live the republic, the ONLY thing that matters.

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
For you folks talking about voluntary sheltering, what happens to people who want to shelter and are forced by their job to get the virus?

Isn't this already an issue?

Some people who prefer to shelter at home are 'essential workers.' Some are disgruntled about it, but at least they have a choice.

As it is, non-essential workers are largely furloughed, laid off, or fired without any choice, at all.

Plus, I'm sure many employers would be happy to make accommodations, if they can, for workers who have to- or prefer to stay home. Again, that's a choice they currently don't have but it could save many jobs if they were *allowed* to make those choices.

You're right...it's not an easy answer. There are 300+ million people in the U.S. and they are all equal and they all have the same freedoms with regard to making personal choices.

So why is a one-size-fits-all solution the best one in your opinion?

edit on 4/7/2020 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: sputniksteve

Or maybe we’ll just leave our panic pants in the closet next time.

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 04:18 PM
link   

If this thing killed like Ebola ... or Nippah virus, say. Maybe we could talk about necessary measures, but it doesn't and never has.

From what we were seeing out of Wuhan early on, I was thinking we might have to take precautions like this, but South Korea and Japan never got to Wuhan levels. It also never broke out of the first cases that made to the states.

When those things failed to materialize. When those early cases got better ... I started to think things were less dangerous than early impressions led me to believe.

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

No, we must all author threads telling each other how dire the loss of our freedoms are, there can be no way. I can see how the things outside of my control forced me to be a coward. I was laid off, my child pulled out of school, and told a virus would ravage my entire world and all I did was sit at home. I should have followed the examples set here and actually done something about it.

The problem with me is when I see an issue and make a decision I take action. Apparently I just took the wrong action this time. Next time I will take appropriate action, authoring threads.

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Someone once said, “The pen is mightier than the sword”.

I think it was Cher or Lady Gaga.

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Someone once said, “The pen is mightier than the sword”.

I think it was Cher or Lady Gaga.

Exactly. Again, the blood of our forefathers will have been spilt in equal proportion to the words we put on the screen. Long live the republic.

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

I don't remember any numbers like that being projected.
Got a source that the CDC projected numbers like that?

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

If this thing killed like Ebola ... or Nippah virus, say. Maybe we could talk about necessary measures, but it doesn't and never has.

From what we were seeing out of Wuhan early on, I was thinking we might have to take precautions like this, but South Korea and Japan never got to Wuhan levels. It also never broke out of the first cases that made to the states.

When those things failed to materialize. When those early cases got better ... I started to think things were less dangerous than early impressions led me to believe.

At first they were looking at 4%.... That is a lot.... Bird flu is 70%, so the possibility is there. It didn't help that China kept it all secret for a while... That is concerning in itself.

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 04:55 PM
link   

I like the way the Washington Times shows there objectivity by referring to the POTUS as 'Mr Trump' through-out the article.

That's awesome, and a dead give away right there.

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 05:01 PM
link   
It's surprising how glib you lot all are all of a sudden , you think gateway pundit and breitbart are reliable sources ? And when they've suckered their quotes from a radio show ?

How do you know that s even the CDC guy,?
Doesn't sound like him ?

How about the model where it's in every country in the world , no airports are open, worldwide , and it's been what , 3months since it kicked off ,+/?

Are that many people so very insular ?
I think being locked down is getting to y'all.

Hope you like holidaying at home

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 05:06 PM
link   
So, heres todays news...

Coronavirus: New York reports highest single-day virus death toll
www.bbc.co.uk...

Like I've said, this thing isn't over -

Researchers Investigate If A Mutated Strain Of Coronavirus Is The Reason One Man Was Contagious For 49 Days
www.iflscience.com... days/

There is still potential for a further blow-up of cases and, it seems, reinfection. There is still a huge amount not known about the disease.

I'm not saying it will happen, but no one can say - at this time - that it won't.

edit on 7/4/20 by neformore because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

If you don't have a good idea how many people actually have it, both severe and mild and even asymptomatic, then you have no real business coming up with any kind of idea how many people it will kill.

The Imperial College of London simulation took this into account:

Analyses of data from China as well as data from those returning on repatriation flights suggest that 40-50% of infections were not identified as cases12. This may include asymptomatic infections, mild disease and a level of under-ascertainment. We therefore assume that two-thirds of cases are sufficiently symptomatic to self-isolate (if required by policy) within 1 day of symptom onset, and a mean delay from onset of symptoms to hospitalisation of 5 days.

China and South Korea used the isolation protocol (in addition to massive testing in S Korea), which is what is credited to having the effect of slowing/stoping the epidemic in those places:

Suppression, while successful to date in China and South Korea, carries with it enormous social and economic costs which may themselves have significant impact on health and well-being in the short and longer-term.

The full report can be downloaded here

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

And it doesn't occur to anyone that the new numbers are lower because the measures are working?

But don't worry folks, you will always be able to say that the measures weren't necessary.

We didn't need to shut everything down to practice "social distancing" and basic hygiene.

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: timequake

Try social distancing on a plane or a ship or a sub or coach . Oh yeah .... you can't .

Try it in a refugee camp or a prison .

New York s death numbers went up today , it's not until those daily numbers come down when you know a lockdown is working .

And sorry to be finishing off the party but china lied about coronavirus , the media is in fact not sure who to believe , but it's got away from the CCP .

Try it in a Chinese tenament of of 12 30 storey blocks

edit on 7-4-2020 by DoctorBluechip because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 05:31 PM
link   
FFS. First its OMG IM AN EXPERT AND WE"RE ALL GONNA DIE. And now ITS OMG I SAID 20 YEARS AGO THIS WASNT GONNA BE A BIG DEAL! We get it, you are all so dang smart and knew everything years ago. Im the smartest clique mentality at its best, and unfortunately, its sickengly common.

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

I, and I'm sure many others, didn't ask for this but do you really think the Governor had me on the phone asking my opinion?

He shut down the state of Nevada and I didn't have a choice. So what, pray tell, was I and any others who didn't want this, to do?

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Still chinas fault. Trump must surely, and the experts, act on worst case scenario for something like this?

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: BoscoMoney

The real Irony hasnt even been acknowledged yet, and I have a feeling it wont be. Far easier to submit platitudes as those reinforce the righteousness.
The simple fact is not everyone is willing to put their money where their mouth is. Looks can absolutely be deceiving.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join