It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did the lockdown change your Prepper perspective?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

I don't think nonpreppers realized how much of a strain they were on the system which wasn't built to handle this kind of surge demand. Hopefully that situation is rectified after this SHTF-lite

After all, the Flu kills 80k+ a year... and if this doesn't do that, it will maintain its "lite" status. But the next one might not be so "gentle." Or the one after that. Or the one after that. Or the big one.

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Love the thoughts Edumakated! I'm a Chicago suburbanite, and basically all of your points apply to me, besides the summer home.

Our "bug out" spot is to the in-laws in the far reaches of the Upper Peninsula, MI - although, that depends on the circumstances whether its where we'd actually want to be.

My "heads-up" came from my wife's cousin living in China, coupled with ATS, of course. I loaded up a flatbed at Costco a few weeks before the panic buying began. I normally go to Costco roughly every 6-8 weeks for TP, paper towels, laundry detergent, dog food, meat, and whatever other standard household goods are starting to run low. With what I purchased, I won't run out of anyof it for about 4 months. I'm planning on increasing that to 6 months.

One thing I didn't realize would be "important" was having enough of the kids' favorite snacks. Not a matter of survival, but they're pretty affected by this. School is now iPads, playgrounds are closed, they're missing their friends and grandparents (my dad is immune compromised and I'm #Essential) having to tell them "no more BBQ chips or cookies" isn't something I wanted to do. I had loaded up some, but didn't realize how fast it would go. Thankfully - deliveries have come through lol.

That part was long winded, here's the bullet points:

1) We're not only conserving more, but also tracking our monthly usage of key household items and food. Will use this to build a 6-month supply of household items, dry-good foods that will keep and frozen meat.

2) Adding frozen & canned veggies. I normally avoid them for the most part except for canned tomatoes. I went out to the grocery store right before the "shelter in place" order and saw a woman sneeze into her hands and then proceed to grab about 15 avocados before choosing one. Have kind of checked out on fresh produce until the garden gets producing lol.

3) Guns - I procrastinated for a long time. 3 big protective dogs and martial arts gave me my excuse to hold off on spending the money on adequate arms. That's being taken care of. Wake-up call. Thankfully, no issues yet, but now I can truly see social disorder to the point of needing to defend the home/family being possible.

4) Money - always keep a stash of cash, and a decent amount liquid in the bank. I've decided there's value in dedicating a larger chunk of savings to liquid cash going forward. Aiming for one year of "barely scrape by" money (probably at 4 months right now.)

5) random building materials - need stuff to do around home. I'm itching to build stuff, but not running to stores for that right now.

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I’ve always had a little extra food, canned stuff and bags of rice. You can make a lot of things with rice, frozen veggies, and canned meat. Being that I live in Wisconsin, I try to have 2-3 weeks worth of groceries and stuff in the house in case we get a nasty winter storm. Some of these storms can cause power outages and make it hard to make a trip to the grocery store.

Even when it’s not winter, I have extra stuff. I have a well stocked pantry. I live in a small town where people are really nice and friendly. I have some air purifiers to keep the air clean in my house. I’m kind of a fanatic about cleaning, so I always have extra cleaning supplies. There is a convenience store/gas station within walking distance of my house. If I need some milk and bread, I can just go there and avoid crowds of people hoarding stuff at the grocery store. I can easily get tp at the convenience store. I avoid WalMart like the plague. They never have tp anyway.

My neighborhood has a robust watch. Most of us are retired nosy people, and we know when someone doesn’t belong. We don’t fret a lot before calling the cops if someone is raising hell. So I feel pretty secure. I take a lot of supplements, including zinc, and always have 2-3 months worth. I believe some things like zinc are very good for one’s immune system. I also take probiotics. Those are good for your immune system. I’ve done research. Some would say I’m eccentric. I just like being prepared.

So I’m not a prepper in that sense. I am just prepared well just in case. I’m always thinking of just in case. As I’ve gotten older, this feeling just is a little stronger.

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Welfare checks are done. No money coming in from selling their Oxy's. Drug dealers will only front so much. What you will see is those who know someone has cash in the box increasing home invasions for cash. No one is going house to house for TP but if they know who it is (9 times our of 10 someone you know robs you) it can make it easier.

Those who buy those Oxy/Adderral scripts to sell to live. I was just having a conversation with a friend and this all came up and it is a lot of people. If anything for those who have cash prices will drop like gas...

This weekend should be interesting because EBT will be used up with eveyone out of work and there will be no paycheck coming in. The next phase of COVID will be the civil unrest...for no real reason other than to simply do it.
edit on Aprpm30pmf0000002020-04-06T22:43:13-05:001013 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I've never been much of a prepper, just never really saw much point in it or had the money to do it right. I've got a couple friends that are into it and I guess they're getting the last laugh. But when I started to realize this was going to cause a problem, admittedly later than I should have, I started buying up non-perishables. Nothing crazy, just a basket here one day, a basket there a couple days later.

I normally keep enough actual food for a few days at best but over the past few weeks I've gathered up enough to last about 3-4 weeks probably if I have to ration it out. Actually feels kind of good to know I don't need to go in the grocery stores if I don't want to now that things are ramping up a little more in my area (but still nothing close to big cities).

I suspect when this is all over I'll do better at keeping a stash of food and supplies just in case. Not even that worried about long term availability, but I don't like the idea of fighting crowds of panicky people if/when something like this happens again. Gotta say though I always figured it'd be civil war, WW3, asteroid strike, nuclear accident, etc. Wouldn't have guessed a virus.

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Growing up in rural New Zealand, i always thought when tshtf id bug out to the bush, live off the land with my hunting, snaring, survival and foraging skills and be ready to mess up any enemy that came my way...

Little did i realize i would have moved to Mexico and live in an urban environment where my skills would be muted facing an invisible enemy and a bigger threat of the mass fear of that enemy and its economic damage.

While i still feel somewhat prepared and in a better position than many, i also realize i underestimated this specific scenario as being the threat it is and the way things would unfold.

I am humble enough to admit my fantasy survival tale i was role playing in my mind was just that.

On the economic front, things are looking good though. Id already seen a collapse coming and had prepped. Unfortunately, my fear is that may be the least of my worries soon.. having rations when others dont makes you a target to the hungry.

Wishing you all health, peace and safe journeys through this life. Take care of each other.

For those that make it through, we know this will change the way we live forever, make it a change for good. If we can shut down the world economy we can slow it to live in harmony with nature and enjoy this amazing life with friends and family more. We can evolve without slaving to rape the planet of its resources. 20-30 hour work week max for everyone. We have the technology, we just need balance. Live now, for tomorrow may never come.
edit on 7-4-2020 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 12:46 AM
link   
A few other things I noticed...

1) Drugs. Not the illegal kind, but the ones many of us need to stay alive. My wife has some medical issues that need constant medication. We were worried about her being able to get refills and supply. We will be looking at ways to increase the stock pile.

2) Kids. This one definitely wasn't expected. I have a 5 and 3 year old. Trying to help them understand what is going on and why is a challenge in itself.

3) Money. Fortunately, wife and I are in an OK place financially. However, the one thing that kind of scares me is how screwed up the financial system is with all money basically being electronic nowadays. I can see the Feds seizing 401ks, IRAs, and other assets. Really nothing you can do about in our modern system unless you are far off the grid and self-sustainable.

I guess my biggest takeaway is that the veneer of society being stable is real thin. It doesn't take much to strip it off and it can happen pretty quickly.

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

Sad thing is a few neighbors and we have a fortified location we operate together, but we too were waiting until the Summer to finish her up (including a few major installations)
Hey, but at least you have a MAG, a group of like-minded people. That is priceless. In our neighborhood, our friends say things like, "well, when TSHTF, we'll come stay with you!!" REALLY? GEEE THANKS! Can hardly wait to hear you whinge about having to work for your cup of rice and beans. That will be just SUPER!

Several years ago, a hurricane knocked out our conventional power for nearly four months. We had a gas generator, and fortunately the first generators were used to run the fuel pumps. Still, it made us realize that power isn't all it's cracked up to be. Power is a luxury, not even close to a necessity. It was a MUCH greater day in our house when I was able to repair and restore our tv dish than when we got power back.

I live in the Caribbean, so 'being cut off' informationally has special meaning here. I have since acquired a shortwave radio/transceiver. I am not licensed to transmit, but can listen to all over the world, if the cloud skips are aligned. In a SHTF, you can bet that I would transmit and ask questions. I'd like to be a licensed HAM operator someday. Soon come.

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

Excellent points all.

Yes, the beloved fasteners. I am frightfully low on 16P nails, but rich in 3 1/2" galv. screws. I know better too, because I'm in the throes of building yet another shed, and I was always thinking about buying another 50# box and just kept putting it off. Well, it's too late now. I have plenty of nails for the air nailer, but for general framing, I still like the old-school stuff. It's like chopping wood...….. hammering is a pure thing.

Portland cement. Once the shed was built, I was going to lay in about 30 bags of Portland. Too late now. At least FOR now.

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I was never a doomsday prepper, I was always more I want to be ready for disruptions till the govts get things under some semblance of control.

Not because I dont expect a major problem to occur (this isn't one in my opinion, after effects could be but pandemic no), just not a lot of money in the military unless you hit high rank which I did not.

So I prepared for about 6 months survivability, and as long as the commissary is restocked I will continue to top up slowly pushing my time to survive further out.

Things haven't changed much beyond I had to scramble to get some things for a pandemic that I did not have, (pandemics are a big fear of mine) but other than that initial scramble I haven't changed much.

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 05:29 PM
link   
yeah I feel different after going on my 5th week of Stay-at-Home

I have been pretty much 'Spartan' in using up my pantry of goods....
but fact is that i'm Rationing my food supplies even tighter than I expected

I think I had enough stuff to have a full belly but I just don't want to eat that much at all
4 meals a week are veggie the other 3 have some sort of 'meat', animal protein along with starch

water, or AZ Teas with ginsing

today I had a hankering for a 1/4 teaspoon of Honey, great stuff

when we can replenish our storage foods, I will get things with a slender-ration size in mind instead of planning on 'oversized Meals'

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Toilet paper don't matter to me I'd use leaves or the Sunday paper if I had to. During the great depression my grandmother said they used the sears catalog.

I hunt and fish and I'm good at it. I know how to live off the land. With the right gear you could drop me off near the arctic circle and I'd survive.

I have $20,000 in hunting and fishing gear. I know a northern part of the country with a lot of abandoned cabins. I've thought about going and staking my claim on one.

The only reason I haven't done it is my grandmother needs me.

My area is one of the hardest hit in the country right now. I have a freezer full of meat. I still have fish from last summer I haven't eaten. I caught 300 walleye last summer. I have 4 deer in my freezer. I can drive a couple hours north and take as much wild game as I need. In a last resort situation I'd eat the critters climbing the trees in my yard.
edit on 8-4-2020 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus

So true argentus, I am blessed to have some of the (IMO) greatest people in this country right down the road. We are surrounded by friendly faces and I rest easy with that knowledge

"well, when TSHTF, we'll come stay with you!!" REALLY? GEEE THANKS! Can hardly wait to hear you whinge about having to work for your cup of rice and beans.

Oh yeah, we always made it clear it isn't about what you have now or who you are now, but how hard you can work and how much loyalty to our cause (of survival) one has. I suppose it comes down to people wanting to survive, we can fix less-than-ideal supply situation or not having enough, we can fix a lack of firepower and even a lack of training...but we can't fix the will to live.. both for themselves and others

We decided early on we wouldn't turn anybody away who needed help, just didn't feel right. I know everybody has to make that decision for themselves, but we are fortunate to have enough in our core group (several families worth of people) to put up a concerted defense should that situation go sour. Didn't feel like God would look kindly upon that. Of course religion has nothing to do with it, one of the families in our group are a Muslim family so it isn't any sort of religious thing, just a bunch of us who trust one another and want to pool resources to make it through any situation

Power is a luxury, not even close to a necessity. It was a MUCH greater day in our house when I was able to repair and restore our tv dish than when we got power back.

Very nice
The ability to REPAIR, repair, and repair some more is priceless. I always look at it is something we could do without if we had to, but I think until you live in a SHTF situation noone can understand the sheer amount of down-time and boredom you could be dealing with and how important having a means to entertain could be. Not to mention the major morale boost. I applaud this effort
Even though like you said power isn't what its cracked up to be, definitely a lot more fragile that most of us take for granted. Just how quickly we can revert to a 100+ years ago society without those little electrons moving

Of course in the Caribbean even more so! No doubt having that information is crucial, good move with the shortwave radio though! Even without the license, in an emergency having the ability to transmit could be a real life saver and at least remind you there are others out there just like you and I who are surviving too, overcoming challenges and generally not being A Holes (ie: not using our preparations and firepower to harm others, take their supplies, etc)

Youd probably love some of the communications equipment we are putting in our hardened location, the ideal situation would be having the capability to send and receive messages anywhere in this hemisphere or preferably even further. Of course SW is great because you end up having a system that can function without any sort of significant infrastructure (compared to say the Internet) Satellite is OK too, as long as it isn't a WW3 type scenario where one or more belligerents start knocking them out of the sky

Good luck to you argentus, sounds like you really have your stuff together, you have a plan and most importantly you already made the decision that you are going to do what you have to do to make it through an emergency

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

Hang in there wantsome
We are with you

Glad to see you have the self-reliance and "do what it takes" mentality down. Sadly most do not have this mindset or skillset

Not asking you to put yourself at risk, but remember a lot of people aren't in good shape as far as supplies and equipment goes. Anything you can do to help them... well.. helps. Heck, print out a couple hundred (or thousand) flyers on self-reliance and emergency preparedness and put them in mailboxes or partially tucked under door mats

Sometimes sharing knowledge is the best gift you can give

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I am like you. I was ahead of the curve since 9/11 with a lot of things. I live in a Chicago suburb. My prepping left some holes to fill with my son and daughter living with there mom in another chicago suburb about 45 minutes away from me. But I think I got it figured out. The whole toilet paper 🧻 shortage was surprise for me , but luckily I already had stockpiled a lot for my business because of the amount of employees we have and I always keep a 3 month supply on hand of tee pee and cleaning supplies. I am glad that society hasn’t started to break down yet. I was sure that lower income neighborhoods would be falling apart and bleeding into the surrounding areas. So far it’s not as bad as I thought it would be. But then again, maybe it’s because I was kinda ready. a reply to: Edumakated

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Weapons and ammo??? What is that????? 🤪a reply to: Caver78

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

There's an old saying. Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. I learned a lot from my grandfather. He taught me everything he knew about the outdoors. I give a lot of meat to friends and family and even the neighbors.

I've been teaching people to hunt and fish for years. Not a lot people are willing to spend the money to get into it though. Quality gear isn't cheap. Quality gear can make a big difference in how successful you are at it. Other people just aren't good at it so they give up.

Hunting and fishing takes a lot of patients. Not many people are willing to sit in the woods on a log from sun up to sun down. I get a sense of piece from it and I've learned to enjoy nature and the simple things in life. I enjoy watching the wildlife and taking in my surroundings.

I love walking a mile out on a frozen lake and watching the sun rise in the morning. I'll sit on a bucket all day in freezing temps and even snow storms to catch fish. After being in freezing temps all day and climbing into my warm bed I sleep like a baby.

People around here really hate winter but I love it.

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Yes, absolutely.

I became far too complacent, but now I realise the New World Order has stepped up it's game and is still on target for Agenda 21 & 30.

I previously put these topics to the back of my mind, as I did not envision such global control until 2050.

Oh boy was I wrong!

I firmly believe that this Plandemic is a scam, a complete con - to introduce [C]ertificates [O]f [V]accination [ID]... and also to "rest" the glabal economy which was going to implode on it's self anyway. This will make way for the 4th Industrial Revolution, planned long ago.

However, more worryingly, I don't think the next pandemic will be a scam!! I think it will be very deadly!

I've just gone back over some of the most prominent conspiracy literature of the last 3 decades, with the advantage of 2020 perspective, - and my god - they were more accurate than any of us could ever have foresaw (apart from Harry Vox who warned about this very thing in 2014). Even little conspiracy tid-bits such as the IBM Neural Chip 2020 document that was leaked circa 96 - was called a hoax at the time, but just look today!! IBM certainly do have and are retailing their Neural Chip 2020.

That's just a drop in the ocean.

Beware the New World Religion which is being pushed by just about every occult group under the Sun, including Mason, Rosicrucians, Templars & Satanists.

Personally, I am now becoming a "prepper". They were right all along, they just began prepping a few decades early.

I want hazmat suits, gas masks, seeds, survival skills, you name it.
I'm not leaving my fate to chance.
edit on 11/4/2020 by Borderlands because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2020 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I don't really understand the 'survival' or 'prepper' philosophy.

I don't want to 'survive'. I don't want to 'exist'.

I want to LIVE.

Give me freedom to live, or give me death.

posted on Apr, 15 2020 @ 11:16 PM
link   
We were content renting in a gated community. Now, hoping for a housing market meltdown so we can get a tiny house and business warehouse on an acre plus further away from people, with a garden and some chickens.

ETA: for the supplies we were short on, this crisis was a slow roller vs. say a hurricane or fire. I told my wife if we wanted TP the time to get it was then... a good 10
Days before TP went extinct. Follow your instincts.
edit on 15-4-2020 by SuperStudChuck because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join