It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Efficacy of homemade masks

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

There's gotta be a better term than sewer.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ABNARTY
a reply to: scojak

Homemade masks are less effective against 0.1nm particles than specifically designed membranes. However, they do a solid job against globs of spit and snot shooting out of your mouth and nose on which the CV hitches a ride.

I think that is more of the concern anyway. The virus isn't being carried on the wind, you don't really need something that will filter the air so fine that you can't breathe the virus in, you're not likely to be walking through clouds of virus. You just need something to stop microdroplets from flying into your mouth and eyes when someone sneezes or coughs near you. That said, almost no one is covering their eyes.

THAT said, the masks still help prevent you from infecting others.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 07:27 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 07:28 PM
link   
The homemade bandana mask I just made is folded four times and uses rubber bands as fasteners. The ends are folded over the rubber bands and inside one another. That's eight layers of spit protection in about 30-seconds and you can rep your favorite sports ball team on the front if you're clever.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 07:53 PM
link   
A bandana sprayed with lysol does it for me.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s
The homemade bandana mask I just made is folded four times and uses rubber bands as fasteners. The ends are folded over the rubber bands and inside one another. That's eight layers of spit protection in about 30-seconds and you can rep your favorite sports ball team on the front if you're clever.

Like this?

Making a bandana mask

And it could be at least 50% effective against coVid-19 according to these tests.
Can DIY Masks Protect Us from Coronavirus?
And this 2008 study from the Netherlands.
Professional and Home-Made Face Masks Reduce Exposure to Respiratory Infections among the General Population

So, is 50% protection better than 0% protection? Only you can decide that for yourself.

edit on 4/4/2020 by Krakatoa because: added additional sources

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Save for half damage? No D&D player worth their salt would pass up a mask with that effect!

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Cloth masks are fine. Better than nothing especially as there is a shortage at the moment. All the best ♥

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
It's doesn't matter what kind of mask you wear if you are always adjusting it to make it feel comfortable touching your face and then rubbing your eyes.

As opposed to touching your face and rubbing your eyes without wearing a mask? I'd say it matters some, maybe not much, but an ounce of prevention...

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I have been making some cloth face masks with the fabric tie strings rather than elastic bands. I believe it will be easier on the ears and easier to wash and sanitize than with elastic. Plus, everyone can secure a tighter but more comfortable fit. Glasses don't fog up if one inserts a wire or pipe cleaner for nose clip fit. If your glasses are fogging, you know you are leaking.

The most damaging thing a person can do to a garment that has elastic strips is to add bleach when washing the item. Bleach is a basic component, which means it has a pH greater than 7. The bleach dries out the latex or spandex inhibiting its ability to bounce back once it has been stretched out. Many people use bleach when washing their clothes, especially white undergarments, but this will damage the latex or spandex that is inside the elastic waistband. Sometimes bleach is necessary for stains, but it should be used sparingly to help extend the life of your elastics.

Another factor that can diminish the lifespan of your elastics is exposing them to heat. It is best to keep your elastics out of they dryer, but even hanging them out in the sun can cause damage. It is best to hang the clothing with the elastic parts towards the ground and away from the direct sunlight. If you must use a dryer, keep it on the low heat setting. The clothing will take longer to dry, but it will help keep the bounce in your elastics.

How Elastic Strips work and How to take care of them.
edit on 4 5 2020 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Billion dollar idea.....face masks made from women's prison panties.

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s
Bingo.
High five to all the D&D players

edit on 5-4-2020 by flayer because: not enough coffee yet.

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Argen
Billion dollar idea.....face masks made from women's prison panties.

OMG. No. Just...no. Been behind those walls... you have given me more nightmare material..
Thanks for that...

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 01:31 PM
link   

So far I don't see that anyone has addressed the OP's actual question, which was WHY would a cloth mask demonstrate lower penetration of small particles, but let through MORE large particles? It would seem that smaller particles would be coming through in droves and large particles would be the ones kept at bay by a makeshift (or plain cloth) mask. The results of this study seem counterintuitive. I think that was the OP's point.

He was looking for insight as to why this might be.

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: OuttaHere

Insight was offered here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 4/5/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 01:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: nugget1

There's gotta be a better term than sewer.

There is, The 'elite' call themselves 'seamstresses', but most garden variety of people who opperate a sewing machine are 'sewers' and seem to comprise a large part of mask makers.

The cream of the crop are 'textile artists'.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join