It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I might start masking up

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Admittedly, I didn't try to get them. They were free gifts from 2 orders I made from a health supplement store I buy from each month. There's 179,000 people and 48 known cases (which has to be multiplied by a magical unknown number that's well beyond my ability to guesstimate) in my city. It's not New York or Los Angeles but it's something.

Regardless, everyone in public is obviously sketched out. I have to take the bus to get around to essential places and work most of the time because I have to pay the DMV for something, including expired registration/tags that expired Feb 1st and I couldn't get the money for it saved. When I will soon because of the stimulus they'll still be closed anyways. I have to pay a toll company a couple hundred too which will remove the block on the DMV website to allow me to pay the other thing and registration to have the tags mailed *in theory*. In-person DMV is closed until June. The plan is to be on the road before the end of April, hopefully within 2 weeks.

Since I couldn't drive it, I temporarily let the insurance go and will need to send them money for 3-6 months worth along with registering the car for 2 years. See, I'm going to use most of the money right. I'm not at risk of losing my job, just reduction in hours but that's okay because if it gets too bad, I can get partial unemployment. They compensate for big hour cuts right now in my state or so I've been told by a co-worker.

Regardless, the bus rides don't bother me as much as going to the Wal-Mart by my house when they were busy to do a two week grocery haul. It's just for 2 people but I'm still in close proximity with tons of shoppers. Some of them are wearing surgical masks, nothing like the apocalyptic, stylish N95's that I've got. The busses usually have less than 10 people and occasionally less than 20, but no one has to share seats or sit directly next to each other. I don't touch the poles to brace yourself, the seats, the the door handles and sanitize my hands immediately when I get to work or get home. I'd say 2 out of 10 random people have masks on.

Nonetheless, this whole thing is admittedly starting to wear on me just a bit and I'm asking myself why shouldn't I wear it? It might save my life or keep me working which is essential to my life, right? I guess I was feeling like I'd stick out too much and look silly. I'm typically 1 to 3 white people on the bus, I'm not elderly, and I'd have a heavy duty mask on. I was also pessimistic about catching it and still try to be while being serious and careful for mental health purposes. It's admittedly getting scarier to me and I'm thinking I might as well go full blown awkward and sketchy in public like I'm on a heavy duty construction site or just got off work from a chemical lab.

If I came down with it in the near future, what would I tell myself? I could've prevented this from ever happening but I didn't want people to look at me funny. Hmm.. 🤔

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyingSquirrel

Funny story... Kinda

My dad is great at engineering 'ideas' if you will. We do share that trait but he does come up with some over the top ideas but not without warrant.

He's goes to the store in gloves and a facemask in which he designed for himself.. It's made from....

Wait for it....

HEPA filters that he obtained from the store that goes into a vacuum cleaner.

Hey.... If it works!

I hear some people are making face masks from mechanic towels. They're thicker and supposedly 4x better than a regular facemask.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 06:07 PM
link   
A mask won't do jacksh!t if you are constantly adjusting it and touching your face. Do you think think that the cov19 can't get thru the crack around your nose. Or in your tear ducts when you rub your eyes, or hang out on your sleeve when you wipe your face.

For real protection, duct tape a coffee filter to your face and make sure you seal up all the cracks with gorilla glue.
edit on 4-4-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I hear it has a hard time dealing with exposure to high heat, so I've just been setting myself on fire every time I go out.
No Covid nor cough to speak of, but the calamine lotion bill is through the roof.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 06:28 PM
link   

#CovidSheeple

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gravelbone

I hear it has a hard time dealing with exposure to high heat, so I've just been setting myself on fire every time I go out.
No Covid nor cough to speak of, but the calamine lotion bill is through the roof.

How about this then....a vape pin with a taste of hydrochloroquine along with your nicotine or other juice you put in them.

or a mask with a small flap for your vape pin or cigarette for all the skinny jean hipsters.
edit on 4-4-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Sadly this isn't true. The way the body works is that the air is cooled down as it goes into your throat by the air that you're releasing, yes even when we breathe in we breath some out. The air you breath out cools any air going in otherwise the moment you breath in hot air your lungs would burn up and become damaged.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
A mask won't do jacksh!t if you are constantly adjusting it and touching your face. Do you think think that the cov19 can't get thru the crack around your nose. Or in your tear ducts when you rub your eyes, or hang out on your sleeve when you wipe your face.

For real protection, duct tape a coffee filter to your face and make sure you seal up all the cracks with gorilla glue.

Bruh,

Did you see the seriousness in that mask on the top? I've put it on and no adjustment necessary for a bus trip or an outing to the market. It fits snug and covers my whole #.

The force is strong in the basement dwellers who live at their parents house and don't need to worry about anything. "Masks wont do # if etc" hypothetical stuff because they're not actually out there.

Live in a city and have to go out in it everyday near people you don't pick and see how you feel about it. They're a few feet away and they're sneezing, coughing.

Have you been to Food Lion downtown where it's playing over the speakers to stay 6ft away from everyone and there's plexiglass barriers in front of the cashier?
edit on 4-4-2020 by FlyingSquirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:53 PM
link   

And wear eye protection. My Dr. buddy (insert story) who is working hard against this said tonight on a Zoom chat to wear anything that can cover your eyes, even swim goggles if needed.

Edit to add - oh, I see you are making fun of this. Wear a mask and eye protection when you go anywhere a lot of people have been. Thats my advice.
edit on 4-4-2020 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 09:08 AM
link   

It will NOT protect you from getting it...but will protect others from getting it...from the mask wearer.

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColoradoJens

And wear eye protection. My Dr. buddy (insert story) who is working hard against this said tonight on a Zoom chat to wear anything that can cover your eyes, even swim goggles if needed.

Edit to add - oh, I see you are making fun of this. Wear a mask and eye protection when you go anywhere a lot of people have been. Thats my advice.

Perfect. I have a pair of reading glasses for just the occasion (see mask pic). I honestly didn't put them in the picture on purpose but everything is lining up synchronistically.

Miss me with that Covid-19 smh

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

It will NOT protect you from getting it...but will protect others from getting it...from the mask wearer.

Maybe I have it and I'm not showing symptoms yet, an "asymptomatic carrier". I should do it from an ethical standpoint.

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingSquirrel

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Maybe I have it and I'm not showing symptoms yet, an "asymptomatic carrier". I should do it from an ethical standpoint.

Yeah, please? At least when around stores or out around folks. Stay well

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingSquirrel

Bruh,

Did you see the seriousness in that mask on the top? I've put it on and no adjustment necessary for a bus trip or an outing to the market. It fits snug and covers my whole #.

The force is strong in the basement dwellers who live at their parents house and don't need to worry about anything. "Masks wont do # if etc" hypothetical stuff because they're not actually out there.

Live in a city and have to go out in it everyday near people you don't pick and see how you feel about it. They're a few feet away and they're sneezing, coughing.

Have you been to Food Lion downtown where it's playing over the speakers to stay 6ft away from everyone and there's plexiglass barriers in front of the cashier?

I do not live in a highly affected area, matter of fact, I have only been affected minimally so far.
That being said, I lived in the heart of Chicago for 20 years of my life, and I would be freakin’ if I still lived there.

I would think wearing a mask is better than not.
How can wearing a mask be worse than wearing nothing?

Good luck, my prayers and thoughts are with you.

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Oaktree

I stick out like a sore thumb with a heavy duty N95 mask and reading glasses when the other people who wear masks aren't doing it in a distinctive way and have masks a dentist would wear.

It'd honestly stick out like an even bigger sore thumb and everyone will be attentive of me. I'm sure most people wouldn't care or even like it, some alot, but for me it just gives me anxiety and gets my nerves edgy.

It doesn't feel good even if I or people thought it looked cool. I'm not trying to look like a hipster apocalypse model. I guess I need to suck it up and wear them.
edit on 5-4-2020 by FlyingSquirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I just keep wondering - why not motorcycle helmets (with visors obviously)?

They're easy also to wash and sterilize at home.

new topics

top topics

join