It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How bad are this week’s record-breaking unemployment numbers? One stunning graphic says it

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Had to share this link to a gif of Current Unemployment over time since numbers have been tracked:

twitter.com...

I'm hoping the link works - not sure. Let's learn something new and productive today. It works - enjoy - or not.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Yeah, that is sobering. Imagine how many jobs are on the line right now as we speak. These numbers are going to be growing very very quickly

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Not everybody that is NOT working qualifies for unemployment. The real numbers are much higher. Some people worked and maybe left a job. If you quit, you do not qualify for unemployment. Maybe they wanted to take some time off and planned on going back to work at some point. Much harder now. So they cannot even apply for unemployment. Once their savings are gone, what do those people do?

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColoradoJens

Yeah, that is sobering. Imagine how many jobs are on the line right now as we speak. These numbers are going to be growing very very quickly

What is sad is that was last week's numbers... this week we are up to 10 million.

For context, the unemployment rate in the Great Depression was around 25%.

The Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis now predicts that as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, 45 million people are likely to lose their jobs—unemployment in America could go as high as 32.1 percent.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColoradoJens

Brilliant, eh? Gotta keep those hospital beds free whilst society crumbles around them, thus potentially ADDING to the toll of those who need hospital beds as a result, despite the lockdown supposedly acting as a hospital bed deterrent. Even I temporarily supported the lockdown for that reason until my sheep-brain woke up.

Human insanity at play on a global scale as we watch. And do NOTHING.

It won't be long before openly taking to the streets in protest at the lockdown (in defiance of State regulations to stay in our chicken coops) is the only cure for this mounting human-made disaster.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blueracer
Not everybody that is NOT working qualifies for unemployment. The real numbers are much higher. Some people worked and maybe left a job. If you quit, you do not qualify for unemployment. Maybe they wanted to take some time off and planned on going back to work at some point. Much harder now. So they cannot even apply for unemployment. Once their savings are gone, what do those people do?

Very true and frightening point.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ConfusedBrit

I respect their lockdown but I never supported it in any form. I've been on the "the 'cure' hurts more than the virus" team from day 1 though.

And not everyone is doing nothing. I am in a place at the moment where as soon as it bounces I can provide the local community with jobs and help them in their bounce.

It will be rough though. But I am looking forward to all this.

Next to that we the people have an opportunity to change the world. All we need to do is do it. Let's make it happen please and do your part.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

The Great Depression was a duration event exacerbated by drought.

I hope we cut China right the Hell off economically (no trade/no travel/no nothing-at-all), and the entire population of the US goes to work to fill the void as soon as this virus burns itself out.

I'm tired of cheap-assed Chinese production anyway. Nothing they make lasts. Let's really "Buy American" when we come out of lock-down.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

I hope that's a prophetic post. If we handle this the correct way. We can get almost every one of us back to work, and make American manufacturers stronger than ever.

Unfortunately, if there's a right or and easy way, we'll normally take the opposite.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oppositeoftruth

I hope that's a prophetic post. If we handle this the correct way. We can get almost every one of us back to work, and make American manufacturers stronger than ever.

Unfortunately, if there's a right or and easy way, we'll normally take the opposite.

Hopefully it can be done in a way that keeps pollution to a minimum, destroying our environment to get everybody back to work might be somewhat counterproductive.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Since the underlying fundamentals are still strong, including the American Spirit and desire to excel, the country will bounce back very quickly!

It's like pushing a beach ball under the water. As long as you don't puncture it, the ball will Zoom right back up to the top of the water, When you remove the downward pressure.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 06:35 PM
link   

It was actually exacerbated by having the wrong President at the wrong time and a Federal Reserve with its head up its ass.

Let's see where it goes this time, shall we?

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
Hopefully it can be done in a way that keeps pollution to a minimum, destroying our environment to get everybody back to work might be somewhat counterproductive.

Then come up with a solution. Entrusting the Chinese with our production requirements lead to a patch of garbage bigger than Texas in the Pacific Ocean ... not to mention their daily air quality.

I'll take a little environmental pollution over a Depression Era environment any day of the year. Mother Nature can take care of herself while we get our feet back under us.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 06:37 PM
link   

It was actually exacerbated by having the wrong President at the wrong time and a Federal Reserve with its head up its ass.

-Blush- There was that too.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Kinda like now - eh.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oppositeoftruth

Public Green Works anyone.

National Service anyone.

Universal Healthcare (not linked to a 'job' or personal wealth) anyone.

Enforcement of Anti-Trust laws anyone.

Yeppers - it can go either way....

or Fascism.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

Kinda like now - eh.

When Trump puts American citizens in internment camps while confiscating their property, raises our taxes to the highest in history and starts randomly doing things such as killing and burning pigs, cows, and chickens, wrongfully confiscating them from farmers and claiming it was to “help” them then you may have a point.

edit on 4-4-2020 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

I hope we cut China right the Hell off economically (no trade/no travel/no nothing-at-all), and the entire population of the US goes to work to fill the void as soon as this virus burns itself out.

I'm tired of cheap-assed Chinese production anyway. Nothing they make lasts. Let's really "Buy American" when we come out of lock-down.

this will NEVER happen!

business wants cheap labor, cheap product, huge markup.
americans want cheap stuff cause they dont have the money for quality.

enter china. cheap labor, cheap quality, huge markup.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Im all for dumping China, I don't have a solution but cutting off ones nose despite their face isn't a solution either and no amount of pounding sand will change that reality.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Im all for dumping China, I don't have a solution but cutting off ones nose despite their face isn't a solution either and no amount of pounding sand will change that reality.

Cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Your version is... disturbing, if I understand the English language correctly.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join