It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is the over 80 or close to over 80 crowd ruling the US and ruling the world?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Because they are entrenched, entitled and entangled.

Decades of cultivating contacts in every industry that lobbies Congress and then turns around and greases their palms with campaign funding.

Once you get into the beast system, it's all quid pro quo.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhyllidaDavenport
I'm over 60yrs old....
Doubt I'll change my view in 20yrs

a reply to: Drunkenparrot

LOL Touché, 50 here so I know where you are coming from.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

I would make that age thing more around 75. I'm 73 and can observe my own decline. That is of course supposing that I ever was of a competent mentality. But one thing you overlooked in your list but interestingly mentioned in describing all on your list was your quote

''They have accumulated the "scary Godfather" "Don" "Crime syndicate leader"']

On a daily basis ''Scary Don'' demonstrates numerous indications of quickly aging mental decrepitude.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 12:23 PM
link   
These are sick individuals who get off by controlling other people. They have the same narcissistic personality as most teachers or law enforcement officers. They won't retire because they can't be happy unless they're controlling others. All the more reason for term limits. These fossils have been in politics for decades, some nearly half a century & they have done nothing to better our country and have done the oppsite of offering a prosperous future for young Americans. Young Americans are also partly to blame for not being involved in politics or voting.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Term limits in congress..Even if we made it 20 years it would be good. People are 80 and don't want to give up their power, and voters don't want to loose their congress person who has worked into a powerful position. Term limits would force them to leave no matter what. This is why the President has a term limit as people tend to keep voting the same person in over and over.
edit on 4-4-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 12:44 PM
link   
You listed Mitch McConnell twice. How old are you and should you be making posts? Jk Jk
In this game of thrones experience and time on mean a lot for people like Mitch and Nancy. I think maybe we collectively do it a bit ourselves allowing a Biden, but remember last go round, Obama was considered too young and inexperienced to be president. Look at the crap AOC gets, and rightfully so. We all feel comfortable with 50-65 year old reps but shouldn’t limit the pool.
edit on 4-4-2020 by TexasTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Because they have the most experience being Washington swamp creatures.

If only we could elected a President who is a political outsider and couldn't be bought with the Swamp's money.

I imagine the swamp would be pretty upset and would probably try every dirty trickin the book to make that President look bad. We'd probably see fake collusion and quid pro quo smear stories.

The Swamp might even be so upset that they would look to punish the population who elected him by faking a pandemic or actually releasing a biological weapon.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 12:46 PM
link   
But an old dude invented CoronaVirus-19 to wipe out fellow/lady (mostly males) old people?

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 12:47 PM
link   

It is because they get entrenched in the system. It is very difficult to get rid of an incumbent politician as all the rules and everything are designed to keep them in office. Not too mention lobbyist, the quid pro quo, black mail, etc

Notice every person on that list has been in the office 30 years or more.

This is a natural result of a system where every person can vote.

These people depend on stupid voters electing them over and over again.

The only way to limit this is to make voting more of a privileged for the most informed citizens. I've long thought we needed a test to qualify for voting. Something a simple as passing the basic citizenship test we give to legal immigrants.

Alternatively, there could be age restrictions. No congress or senators over 70 unless they age in office after which they must retire at end of term.

Our system was well designed, but the loop holes and weaknesses are pretty apparent. I don't think our founding fathers thought we'd have a class of professional politicians.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I have no idea why you've placed this age so high. Your mind starts declining in your 40s. Not that I don't think that means people shouldn't serve in gov't during these years. But by the time you are 70, I'm sorry, your mind is in no way what it once was. We need to be smarter about this, & not be scared of being labeled "ageist". It's just the truth of science. On top of that, by that point you are pretty well out of touch with your fellow Americans. It's rare that by 70 you've experienced a life that resembles what the general public goes through for decades.
edit on 4-4-2020 by okrian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 12:55 PM
link   
i tell ya if they aren't any better than what the dems fielded during the primaries( not that the older ones were any better) i'm not real interested in in a young crop talking over no matter what office. and if you look at the ones growing up now, to think that they are future leaders. well... i'd just as soon catch the covid and check out, the suffering wouldn't be near as bad. [
edit on 4-4-2020 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Cuz Queen Elizabeth is old and related to the Rockefellers and Bill Gates , who all belong to the Illuminatti , who run the NWO...who are all mostly old.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

But for some reason you’ve left out the ring leader of old entitled men living in a different century.

Donald Trump.

Good god man, this is seriously getting clinical with you on the left

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: okrian
I have no idea why you've placed this age so high. Your mind starts declining in your 40s. Not that I don't think that means people shouldn't serve in gov't during these years. But by the time you are 70, I'm sorry, your mind is in no way what it once was. We need to be smarter about this, & not be scared of being labeled "ageist". It's just the truth of science. On top of that, by that point you are pretty well out of touch with your fellow Americans. It's rare that by 70 you've experienced a life that resembles what the general public goes through for decades.

If that is the case then why is the average age of Nobel prize winning scientists 58?

The Face of the Average Nobel Prize winner

Edit to add: on further review it looks like No significant cognitive decline occurs on average until somewhere between 50 and 70 for most although by some measures cognitive decline begins in the 20’s and 30’s.

When does age related cognitive decline begin?

“Cognitive decline may begin after midlife, but most often occurs at higher ages (70 or higher).” (Aartsen, et al., 2002) “…relatively little decline in performance occurs until people are about 50 years old.” (Albert & Heaton, 1988). “…cognitive abilities generally remain stable throughout adult life until around age sixty.” (Plassman, et al., 1995) “…no or little drop in performance before age 55…” (Ronnlund, et al., 2005) “…most abilities tend to peak in early midlife, plateau until the late fifties or sixties, and then show decline, initially at a slow pace, but accelerating as the late seventies are reached.” (Schaie, 1989).

Results from three methods of estimating retest effects in this project, together with results from studies comparing non-human animals raised in constant environments and from studies examining neurobiological variables not susceptible to retest effects, converge on a conclusion that some aspects of age-related cognitive decline begin in healthy educated adults when they are in their 20s and 30s.

Looks like my 13 year old is right after all, adults really are stupid. Does this mean my wife and I have been running our household wrong this whole time.

Nice, starting Monday we are staying home playing video games and chugging Mountain Dew, the kids will figure out how to pay the mortgage and where to find a store that still has toilet paper on the shelves.

More people should look to ATS for life advice, I feel way less stressed already!

edit on 4-4-2020 by Drunkenparrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance.

David Mamet

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Because they have more experience than you or I.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I don't know the ages of European leaders in general, but I would be surprised if the average falls into that age-range.
In Britain, I think the perceived "maximum" age for leadership has been coming down over the last couple of decades.
Figures over the world will be skewed by the tendancy of non-democratic leaders to cling on.
As for America, yes, I understand that seniority as such is a very important political factor in Congress and Senate. Whatever the cause, you may find that is a local issue.

edit on 4-4-2020 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

Because they have more experience than you or I.

Experience doesn't count when the mind goes, that is what cognitive decline means. It happens to nearly everyone by age 80.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: jtma508
It's simple. It takes time to develop what it takes to get yourself into power:

1. Money
2. Connections
3. Notoriety
4. A body of work that makes you 'appear' successful
5. People that 'owe' you
6. A series of other 'jobs' that ostensibly lead to the power-level you seek

Can't do that by the time you're 30

And by that time......I heard an interview with the Congressional pharmacist and he said we'd be surprised how many of them take Alzheimer drugs.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Drunkenparrot

originally posted by: PhyllidaDavenport
People still equate old age with wisdom...sadly this is proven daily not to be the case in many instances not just Governments

Get back to us in 20 years and tell everyone you still agree with that statement.

LOL, let’s put the millennials in charge...

I am in my 60's and I KNOW this to be true.

Most of my friends are true intellectuals and are between 60-85. Aside from what I know having taught about old age in Univ. there is my observation. My intellectual (very very smart) friends have tended to stay that way into their 70's but when they approach 80 I have observed a steep decline in cognition (smarts, thinking, the ability to think).

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join