It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meijer screening employees before every shift.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Abuse of rights? Or......
This is getting more draconian and Orwellian by the day, employees of meijer in Michigan; must have their temperature taken and answer a health questionnaire before being able to work.

How about a year from now if this is still around? Having a fever/ symptoms doesn’t mean you have Covid-19. Only a positive test can determine the difference between minor ailments ( cold, flu, allergies) and coronavirus.

This is absurd and unnecessary; a im sure it violates some civil rights.
Mods: move to another forum if necessary.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: SeektoUnderstand

No, it’s not a civil rights violation.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 09:21 AM
link   

LOL

So you are arguing for the rights of people to anonymously (knowing and or unknowingly) spread disease? Well, actually not sure what you are arguing. I have to scan a badge to access areas in my building. I see this as similar and really is common sense. People should not go to work sick and spread whatever they have.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

You can have one or more symptoms and not be sick. (Allergies, cold, etc) I’m asking how long this will last? Will it become a permanent facet of the workforce? And if you’re asymptotic which apparently a lot are, then you wouldn’t know anyways.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Typhoid Mary would have loved you!

It is to prevent spreading the disease and save lives. Vulnerable people have rights too!
edit on 600000099America/Chicago301 by nugget1 because: add

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

Where is the studies on carriers and asymptotic people with this disease? Since they are only testing “near death” people (unless you are a tv personality, athlete, movie star, politician, or rich.. in that case they are abundant) I just want some answers; instead of “scientific” models based off of shotty lab work. I mean we can create 100s of millions of flu shots, but not enough test kits? Come on now.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 09:47 AM
link   

My girlfriend ( an RN for over 25 years ) works in a hospital and has to do this every day as she enters the building.
Would you like for the person who is supposed to be taking care of you to be sick ?

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 09:49 AM
link   

You'll get answers when those studies have been conducted, replicated and reviewed. No one with any authority* can give you the answers you want now because that isn't how science works.

*people who actually know what they are doing and what they are talking about, unlike politicians, journalists or c-band executives.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 10:15 AM
link   

What right would it violate. Step daughter works for said company and if it helps to keep her healthy and working, that's fine.

Is be even impressed if these companies checked customers for fever!

I'm all about civil and constitutional rights but know full well that one ends where the other begins. You're not losing a right by being denied work or service if you are an immediate threat to a coworker or customer.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 10:20 AM
link   

I'm looking at all this from the standpoint that finally companies in the US are going to have to admit employees coming to work sick is not good for the company's bottom line. This will lead to paid sick pay because frankly, no company is going to be able to say you can't work because you're sick and also claim they won't pay you when they send you home.

It's about darn time the US started taking this more seriously; not coronavirus, but the numbers of people who continue to come to work while contagious and spreading, flu, cold, or whatever around the workforce all because they are worried about not having a paycheck.

So, I'd get use to companies checking the health of employees, especially when they display symptoms or during peak contagion times of the year. This is already done in some industries anyway.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 10:23 AM
link   

What civil right is being violated?
Since the answer is none I am interested to hear what thing you have made up to fit your impression of this specific scenario.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Don't we all have "rights" to shop at a store where employees are healthy and not contaminating us and our products with viruses and bacteria?
They should have been doing this for a long time. I don't want someone's infected sneeze (C19 or not) on my bag of bread.
I see no reason why people working at restaurants, grocery stores, bars, etc shouldn't be tested regularly for things like flu, cold, C19. It's harmless, takes seconds, and can stop the spread of all kinds of garbage.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Crosswinds

Agreed.

They used to test beauty shop employees, and maybe other types of businesses for TB.
But, some years ago that was felt to be unnecessary....WTF?

We did takeout the other day. The owner told us he's always had a policy of telling workers to stay home if they were sick.
That's the way it should be.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Required by Washtenaw county health here in Michigan. Here's the great part: I'm the only one at work most days but HR has to ask every day, have you been sick, do you have a fever, blah, blah, blah. I keep asking her how the hell do I know if I've been exposed?!

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I believe the OP is right... You could file a lawsuit against your employer and win./ This would be harassment based on medical conditions.

U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
www.eeoc.gov...

Employee Rights
Employees have a right to:

Not be harassed or discriminated against (treated less favorably) because of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, disability, age (40 or older) or genetic information (including family medical history).

Receive equal pay for equal work.

Receive reasonable accommodations (changes to the way things are normally done at work) that are needed because of their medical condition or religious beliefs , if required by law.

Expect that any medical information or genetic information that they share with their employer will be kept confidential.

Report discrimination, participate in a discrimination investigation or lawsuit, or oppose discrimination (for example, threaten to file a discrimination complaint), without being retaliated against (punished) for doing so.

These rights are based on federal employment discrimination laws. Other federal, state or local laws may also apply to your business. Federal, state and local government websites may have additional information about these laws.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:24 AM
link   
People freak out when they come across a sick employee, but have zero qualms with handling money (both paper and coin alike) with upwards of 20,000 bacteria types and who knows how many viruses thriving on it (numbers I find state between dozens and hundreds) Or handing off their cards to the employees to ring up, because they think it's safer than touching the keypad (lol, is the employee wearing & swapping gloves every transaction? Hint: no)

Hubby and I were talking about that the other day, how if it's going from your hand to someone else's and vice versa, you're passing germs back and forth without so much as a thought about it. And physical money switches hands and tills constantly all day long.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:39 AM
link   

No, but having a fever usually means you are sick. Being sick with something other than COVID-19 makes you more vulnerable to catch COVID-19. So even if you don't have COVID-19, if you have a fever you should stay home.

If you have a fever you should stay home.

This has always been true even before COVID-19.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeektoUnderstand
a reply to: infolurker

You can have one or more symptoms and not be sick. (Allergies, cold, etc) I’m asking how long this will last? Will it become a permanent facet of the workforce? And if you’re asymptotic which apparently a lot are, then you wouldn’t know anyways.

This is the future. We are never going back.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: CraftyArrow

Working when sick is not protected

www.southernnevadahealthdistrict.org...

Most places have similar health codes so no definitely not protected

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeektoUnderstand
a reply to: nugget1

Where is the studies on carriers and asymptotic people with this disease? Since they are only testing “near death” people (unless you are a tv personality, athlete, movie star, politician, or rich.. in that case they are abundant) I just want some answers; instead of “scientific” models based off of shotty lab work. I mean we can create 100s of millions of flu shots, but not enough test kits? Come on now.

Here’s one.

www.cnn.com...

Iceland was able to do enough random testing of both people who had symptoms and those who didn’t to figure out that about 50% of the population who have the virus have very mild to no symptoms.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join