It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People in different towns howling during the Virus.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Thought this was something unique and different which is a direct result of the virus.

Isolated, alone what is one way a pack can connect..by howling....like various towns are doing every night at 8 ... =)

This is Mill Valley , California while the article has a few other examples.

thehill.com...

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 10:30 PM
link   
That’s pretty neat and cool. Thanks for posting this. S&F. It sounds somewhere between dreamy and a little creepy but cool too. It’s amazing what we humans can come up with when we want to.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 10:34 PM
link   
How very primal

I bet this was utilized in ancient cultures for one reason or another (distance warning, scaring warring tribes, etc)

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Was it a full moon?

edit on 3-4-2020 by ConfusedBrit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ConfusedBrit
Was it a full moon?

Would make sense if it was right but the cool thing is these towns are doing it every night at 8 for various different reasons.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

Wasn't there some Biblical passage that describes a ''wailing and a gnashing of teeth?

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

Would make sense if it was right but the cool thing is these towns are doing it every night at 8 for various different reasons.

The UK does a national round of applause for NHS staff every Thursday at 8pm.

A national 'howl' would be far more effective!

And yeah, a bit freaky, but so what?

PS: Better still, if an entire nation could boom "FIIIIIIIIIIGARO!!!" instead, that would be a pretty unforgettable moment.

And when the lockdown ends, no reason to stop it, I say.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 10:49 PM
link   

I'm just glad you posted this so Incoukd give my wife a heads-up so she doesn't freak out if it starts here while I'm away from home!

Poor doggies!

ETA: it is awesome though. Man, that could be bone-chilling to accidentally run into a town howling!
edit on 4/3/2020 by dogstar23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 10:50 PM
link   
It honestly reminds me of the start of this:

But it would be damn awesome if they coordinated this (skip to about 0:35 to song start)

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 10:56 PM
link   
We have arrived.. the end.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Then there's this one from Wuhan. Not howling. Some say it was chanting in solidarity to the Dr. that died, but this was posted a while after. Doesn't sound like happy chanting to me.. Then again, who knows how many of these types of videos have been edited. Not sure about the OP one either. Not sure about anything anymore. Lol.

edit on 3-4-2020 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-4-2020 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 11:05 PM
link   

In Italy, they sung opera and played instruments.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep
Then there's this one from Wuhan. Not howling. Some say it was chanting in solidarity to the Dr. that died, but this was posted a while after. Doesn't sound like happy chanting to me.. Then again, who knows how many of these types of videos have been edited. Not sure about the OP one either. Not sure about anything anymore. Lol.

The Wuhan one, while a different sound , seems like it comes from the same place..People in isolation trying to find some way to connect.

As for the one I posted in the OP..
Multiple people on Instagram, FB and other things live stream it every night at 8pm pacific time.
edit on 4-4-2020 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 11:14 PM
link   

The dogs are like....

- "Wow you guys are totally overreacting."

- "Honey get me the phone, I'm calling the police on these annoying humans. I gotta get up early for work, unlike these assholes.

- "Now look what you started fido."

- "let me guess, you guys are all locked inside and you wanna mate? Now you know how we feel!"

- "Fido, I cant understand them can you?" No Marmaduke I can't. Their accent is way too thick."

- "guys listen! It looks like Brian's plan is actually working!"

Aaaaarrrrooooooo!!!!!

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

Poetic just us

Oh you did the ol' italic fub. Narf

edit on 3-4-2020 by TrustedTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I know Kali's are Daft now...

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrustedTruth
a reply to: Alien Abduct

Oh you did the ol' italic fub. Narf

Easy to cure. (I found this out myself)

Anybody can just do this... " [ / i ] "... (without the spaces) anywhere in a follow-up post to close the glitch (click 'Quote' to see what I did more clearly).

Sorted.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Truly great to see a community come together.

Unfortunately, Sounds like primal screams of frustration.

Fu##, another month plus of ‘social distancing’ — there will be more than howling at 8....

A LOT MORE....

edit on 4-4-2020 by KKLOCO because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Strange my crying has come out in long soulful wails that sound more like howls lately. Equating a mournful loss in form of sound. I feel the psychological sink all around me
I don’t even have to see people’s faces anymore to know it’s surreal and daunting experience we are witnessing.

So I just smile and say hi. Respectful-like and all. Might as well at the End right?

Just late when I’m drinking. But I’ve noticed it too...

Baleful howling

Just no one else around. And just myself in my house

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 03:50 AM
link   
This is without a doubt the silliest # I've ever seen. I’m glad I can’t afford to live in Mill Valley...

France has singing from balconies, Spain has banging pots and pans and now Mill Valley has come up with this 'community howl' as a way to stay connected during the coronavirus pandemic.

www.ktvu.com...

The 8:00 howl actually began in Barcelona Spain as a loud cry of thanks to the medics and first responders who put their lives on the line during COVID 19!

Kemi King was actually the one who started the Mill Valley 8pm cheering in response to the folks dong similarly in Europe. Kemi is part of our Equator coffee group, and she suggested all of us posting the event on NextDoor on 3/20, and a small group of us (about 20) started cheering about three days before Hugh and others joined in. Kemi King deserves the credit... if you look at her NextDoor posts you’ll see that she announced it several days before Hugh. Once again, the news got it wrong!

www.enjoymillvalley.com...

Maybe you’ve heard it — a long, loud howling, hooting and hollering starting at 8 every night and lasting for around five minutes, reverberating through neighborhoods, hillsides and canyons.

“I was just trying to get the community together during a time where a lot of people are experiencing isolation,” Hugh Kuhn told the IJ in explaining why he started the Mill Valley ritual that has since caught on elsewhere in Marin.

Larkspur has its own way to connect neighbors. Pipers in the MacIntosh Pipe Band of Larkspur have been playing a tune outside at sunset, — a signal to all that they have made it through yet another day of this pandemic.

Ever since quarantined Italians formed a sound flash mob from their balconies and sang opera together from their windows, the idea of connecting through song and sound has caught on, from San Joe to Oakland to New York to Madison, Wisconsin, to Indianapolis and elsewhere.

The howl fits Mill Valley “We have coyotes, and coyotes howl. Sometimes we bark back,” Kuhn says. “Then I heard some kids howling the other night, and I thought, ‘Yeah, that could work.’”

www.marinij.com...

The howling is loosely organized through Facebook and NextDoor groups. Motives for the howlers range from honoring health care workers to feeling less alone at night.

One Facebook group that grew to 64,200 members in four days was launched in Denver by two friends practicing social distancing measures like staying inside and not gathering with groups of more than 10 people.

The idea has spread internationally, according to Maiurro, with members in the group from Switzerland, Mexico and Brazil. The howl has also reportedly been heard in Atlanta, Idaho, New York City and Mill Valley, Calif.

thehill.com...

Petaluma joins in the Nightly Howl: Have you heard howling at around 8 p.m. the last few nights or so? Wondered if your neighbors were finally losing it? Did you have an uncanny urge to go outside and do a bit of howling yourself? Well, tonight, go ahead and howl, because as of last Sunday night, howling from your porch, your balcony, your front yard or back yard or while hanging out your window, is an actual thing. In the North Bay, it started in Mill Valley, down in Marin County (though some have suggested Mill Valley borrowed the idea from other cities around the world), and appears to be catching on through a series of viral videos. Eastside resident Ray Engan went live on Facebook Sunday night to record his neighborhood participating in what he’s calling “Howlapalooza”

www.petaluma360.com...

edit on 4.4.2020 by Murgatroid because: felt like it...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join