It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Postal Service is Running Out of Money - Maybe R.I.P. before July 2020.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Over paid gov employees. They better hope their pensions remain intact when the time comes...a reply to: carewemust

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 01:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: MRinder
a reply to: carewemust

Hopefully Amazon will buy them on the cheap, kick out the union, and the mail will be 10x faster at half the cost.

I’d rather Amazon be investigated for it’s countless labour rights violations

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 03:23 AM
link   
I'll say it again.

You better be supremely grateful that the post office is still operating.

First of all, It's not going anywhere because its part of an international treaty to maintain correspondence between all of us.

Even if that wasn't practically written in stone, the postal service is the last way to correspond privately. Yeah yeah yeah I know, prisons blah blah blah..

If it goes cashless and we lose the postal service, its GAME OVER.

I hope you truly realize that.

Those that advocate for emails and text messages are already too compromised to understand the true importance of the postal system.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: Ohanka
Aren’t they getting anything from that $2 trillion stimulus?

And if not, why not? Seems like the post office shouldn’t even be able to go out of business.

Post office if required constitutionally. The problem is private businesses do it better and cheaper. Technology has made 1st class mail basically obsolete at this point. The bulk of mail delivery is actually junk mail.

Is there another way to mail a real birthday card for only 60 cents?

Not for 60 cents. That is part of the problem. It cost way more than that to mail a letter and postage should be much higher. They should be charging like $2.50 to mail a letter 1st class.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets
If they really want to win don't let UPS, Fedex or any mail shop build within a 10 mile radius of a post office.

You're quite the communist, any other private entities you want banned over government inefficiency?

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

But that's exactly what this story is: part of a lobbying effort to get the USPS some more money from covid-4. That's what all these stories are. People and things lobbying for their cut of the international handout brigade.

Funded, once again, by the tireless work of generations of actual American workers.

Bright side: no more junk mail.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

Yeah because it's impossible for the government to open an envelope and read your mail our even scan it?

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: MRinder

If you saw the archaic equipment they use to process mail you'd be surprised that it even gets to you at all, let alone open, scan and reseal it.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:52 AM
link   
The USPS had a purpose back in the day. But now they have private company counterparts that are able to deliver more efficiently and profitablity. Imagine a world where we have free internet and no library's or post offices. The amount of money that we would save.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

You know they do that to persons of interest all the time.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:57 AM
link   

That's after obtaining a warrant. The Post Office doesn't have equipment to open and read your mail on a mass basis.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

That's after obtaining a warrant. The Post Office doesn't have equipment to open and read your mail on a mass basis.

You dont think that since the government has spent untold billions building a global network to monitor global communications that they left out the mail systems do you? That would be a pretty big loophole.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Yeah, they did, the machinery they use is junk, I've seen it in person tons of times.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: MRinder No libraries!? What an awful idea.

More reasons the GOP wants to kill the USPS is to stop Vote By Mail, and help eliminate decent paying jobs for blue collar work.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66

originally posted by: RazorV66

originally posted by: TheBoomersRBusted
a reply to: carewemust FACT: An enormous impact in the USPS is the law the GOP passed in the lame duck session of 2006. It requires the USPS to pre-fund their retirement plan, way beyond any requirement that any private retirement fund has had to make. 75 years!? They have a limited number of years to do this. The donations to this fund have been crippling.

OPINION: These funds are in excess and can be used to tide them over.
Personally I think they want to kill the USPS, and have us send Xmas cards by Fedex for $5, and raid the pension fund.

They have been defaulting on those payments for some time now.

Then how was this new and improved contract for USPS workers put in effect last month (March 2020)?

www.apwu.org...

I don’t know, that’s not my union.
I belong to the NALC, which is the letter carriers union.
APWU is the union for clerks, maintenance etc......everyone except the letter carriers.

Postal workers are demanding "Hazard Pay", now that 40 have contracted CoronaVirus-19.

The petition is growing rapidly: www.change.org...

I don't think 40 cases is too bad amongst 600,000 employees.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
Aren’t they getting anything from that $2 trillion stimulus?

And if not, why not? Seems like the post office shouldn’t even be able to go out of business.

Post office if required constitutionally. The problem is private businesses do it better and cheaper. Technology has made 1st class mail basically obsolete at this point. The bulk of mail delivery is actually junk mail.

Is there another way to mail a real birthday card for only 60 cents?

Not for 60 cents. That is part of the problem. It cost way more than that to mail a letter and postage should be much higher. They should be charging like $2.50 to mail a letter 1st class.

Since store-bought birthday cards now cost $6.00 to $8.00, $2.50 for postage is reasonable. NO?

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Because the original source is the Anti-Trump Washington Post, take this with a grain of salt...

President Trump threatened to veto the $2.2 Trillion Covid-19 worker assistance bill, if it bailed-out the United States Post Office.

Source: www.businessinsider.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigbrooklyn
Over paid gov employees. They better hope their pensions remain intact when the time comes...a reply to: carewemust

Usps is not paid for by tax payers. They are self-funded.

Over-paid? Amazon and ups get similair pay. If anything, usps has it harder with those old vechiles and walking in the snow.

I heard the usps veterans get paid cery well though. But like i said, it's not out of your taxes.....

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 11:04 PM
link   
The GOP conservatives want to kill the post office.

WE NEED THE USPS

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Post office isn't payed by tax payers and librarys provide alot of great free services...

Also, libraries are funded locally...

Free internet would cost tax payers money too...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join