It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City Shorties!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
In England, I have been noticing a troubling effect.

It seems people who where born and living in cities all there life are smaller than those who live in small towns/villiages. Maybe linked to pollution??

I dont have any stats to back this up,Ill hunt for some later. I just wondered if any one has seen this around them in maybe USA.

Maybe the well known saying "Smoking stunts your growth" should be "Pollution stunts your growth!"?

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Sometimes when I go to different towns I'm either shorter or taller than
alot of the women.
And this is all within the same state I'm living in.

I thought maybe it was because the same families have stayed in some of the towns for a long time and passed down their shortness (or tallness).

I love it when I feel taller.
cause I'm considered short in my family at 5'4".

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
live in london and i haven't really noticed this effect, maybe because out of 7.5 millions people it's really hard ot find something.
anyway, what i think you might find in your research is that people living in the cities are more likely to get respiratory desease than the other ones.
when i come out of my house, it is so bad how much it stinks. but, what can we do!

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I remember a study done a number of years ago about how living in a city was like the equivalent of smoking so many packs of cigarettes per day. My smallish hometown (pop. 1 million) was about 1-2 packs per day, whereas somewhere like London was 5 packs a day! and I'm moving there in a couple of weeks! oh well think of those idiots who live there and still smoke.

As to the height, nutirition is also a factor, in North Korea people are much shorter than the South Koreans because they lack proper nutirition. Lack of sleep is another thing that can stunt growth. So shortness is a combination of nutrition, environment and genetics.

top topics

join