It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

{ UK ] the fall-out from idiots panic buying

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 02:00 PM
link   
due to " cortain patterns " - which i did notice in the panic buy stampeede to hit UK supermarkets starting 2 weeks ago

i wondered WTF will these critins do with all the crap ?

now - the "conundrum" has been answered

throw a large portion away

and people wonder why i would suport a purge ??????????????

soource one

source 2

i secretly hoped this was some sort of hoax - ie look at the bananas - they are still edible looking

but no - there are multiple reports from local govt official

and no denials // retractions

ATS members in other countries - are your idiots as cretinous as ours ?

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Haha one would think if you bunker food and buy perishable goods you've already failed. The question if you throw it away or not is just the icing on the dumb-cake.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 02:09 PM
link   

+1 for a purge , way too many idiots in this country.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Its not that people are bad, they are just scared and doing what comes naturally. We have failed, not them. We should have been teaching people real life skills and not gender equality in college. I hope once all is said and done everyone realizes that learning to garden, sew, weld, ect are far more valuable than social media.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Usually and in general I am personally all for the one's calling for a cull to go and purge themselves first and set a moral example for the rest of us to you know show us the way.

But dark humor aside these idiot's are a prime example of foolish, selfish and idiotic behavior, did they think a pandemic would pass in a week or something, likely it will be around for years to come.

Arguably while I believe it is irresponsible and every other nation should shut there embassy's there in protests the Swedes are going for HERD (way for politician's to view there public but then I guess they all do) Immunity by allowing it to spread with little or no restrictions to prevent it.

On the other hand the old viking addage What can not kill you can only make you stronger (what a load of bull) may be there guiding mentality.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Years ago, I pretty much lived on all the food my sister wanted to throw away.

She never did understand the difference between a sell by date and a use before date.

One person's stoopid is another person's smarts eh?

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

Very good point, the sell by date is merely the time a supermarket can display it while there used to still be a remaining shelf like particulary for refrigerated food stuff of between 3 to 8 day's beyond that sell by date.

These days though a USE by date is becoming popular, generally speaking it's still ok to eat food that has passed this but only for a day or two as the use by date is closer to the genuine expiry date at which the food will become too rotten, bacteria within it will have multiplied to harmful levels etc.

Edit, Canned food's and dried food's also tend to last a good while longer than there use by dates as well so with them it is a matter of test and if it taste and smell's fine then it probably is.

Remember if storing them a cool - dry - dark environment is preferable to wall cupboards were steam in the air, heat etc will reduce storage life of any good's.

One other thing to bear in mind if you have a sweet tooth, Honey is one of the longest lasting natural food's you can store, in the right conditions it can last for thousands of years and according to some claim's edible honey has even been found in jars in Egyptian tomb's - I wonder who had the gut's to taste it after that length of time.
edit on 3-4-2020 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

I forgot to add the "best before date" too.

I have a nice cool "larder" here. Middle of the house and dark. I love my larder, especially when it has enough in there that means I get to reorganise it.

It used to be the old WC with a 2m x 1m conrete box directly underneath (septic tank).

If the SHTF I will jump in there with the kitty (dry, empty and clean now) and just pop up for dinner.

I should start putting essentials down there so thanks for the idea with my reply to your post. Bedding, entertainment, light, water, lots of knives and heavy blunt objects etc, and I'll make a proper sealable trap door and a periscope and an air filter and, and and...

I'm liking all this end of the world stuff actually.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Well the media was completely to blame for most of the "panic" and from speaking with friends there it seemed to be rather worse in major cities.

One of my friends live in Essex (can't remember where) and they had toilet rolls, fresh and canned food all in their local supermarkets. Other people I known in London however had to wait in line for ages just to get a shopping trolley, but even they questioned why was people flocking to large supermarkets when mom and pop stores had plenty of items?.

I guess people see the large lines at supermarkets in the media and decide to just jump on the back rather than think of obvious other options.

Also panic buying perishable goods is just idiotic, 1 decent sized bag of rice will last months. You shop like you would be on a expedition to the Karakorum mountains not for your local swingers party where the only thing that will get consumed the whole night will be the odd sausage roll...

In saying that across the western world we have a generation that has always been able to get everything instantly and has never been told "no", no wonder they panic bought toilets rolls as of course that is the only way to clean you butt.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 02:50 PM
link   

I thought for once people would have the time and take the opportunity to

cook from scratch and teach the children how to do so, Its not difficult and

what they didn't know could be looked up on google....they could be creative

with ingredients.

However no such luck, I always thought a takeaway was a treat, or a once in

a way purchase, but on mine and the surrounding village/towns fb every day

there are many, many enquiries from people asking for which one is open,

delivers, which is recommended etc....etc....

Can they? Do they ever cook from scratch?

Personally I dont know how they can afford to? and so often.....

When everyone constantly seems to be complaining of being 'hard up' and the

effects of austerity ........./smh again!!

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 02:58 PM
link   
The article itself raises questions of credibility and indicates it is likely fake news.

“However, locals in the city were quick to point out that Derby’s bins are a different colour calling into question the veracity of the images.”

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Veracity of the article aside, I'd offer a thought.

While frightened people may do things that seem contrary or idiotic, it does not mean that they are idiots. Fear and fight/flight are powerful and deeply hardwired instincts.

It's difficult for me to spite anyone who is earnestly simply seeking to be prepared - even if that effort comes in the form of a last minute and panicked rush.

My angst, personally speaking, remains reserved toward anyone seeking to exploit others rather than those simply reacting to a desire to survive.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Agree absolutely, they also have fear not only for themselves but for there family, spouse, children and elderly relatives, fear for the safety of those we love is often even more powerful than fear for ourselves in motivating us to act in a just in case manner.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

Veracity of the article aside, I'd offer a thought.

While frightened people may do things that seem contrary or idiotic, it does not mean that they are idiots.

Well, yes, it's a prime example of someone simply not USING the basic intelligence they already have, even if it's a low-lit bulb. In other words, 'not thinking it through'. Or not thinking, period.

Alternatively, they're just ignorant, selfish bast*rds.

More generally, the idiocy in UK government is breathtaking, changing horses midstream from a sensible, tried-and-tested "Carry On But Be Cautious With The Vulnerable" strategy to economic apocalypse. Why? Because everybody else is doing it...

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Tofu lasts a hella long time, until you open it.

fwiw, I've been eating a ton of curry veg + fried tofu, lots of cauliflower. I'm on a 2-week kick with it. The thing is, it totally suppresses appetite. I make a dinner of it and still eat the leftovers later on....not hungry for junk food.

My other main meal is falafel sandwiches on low carb wrap. The powered mix lasts literally forever. I'm vegetarian and somewhat diabetic, food was a pita for a long time, but now I'm adjusted to low carbs. No complaints, for my age.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingFox
Tofu lasts a hella long time, until you open it.

fwiw, I've been eating a ton of curry veg + fried tofu, lots of cauliflower. I'm on a 2-week kick with it. The thing is, it totally suppresses appetite.

Does it make you fart a lot? All that air would make you feel full up when you aren't perhaps.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

+1 for a purge , way too many idiots in this country.

+1 for a purge , way too many idiots in this c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶r̶y̶ world.

Fixed that for you.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 07:27 PM
link   
That's the most set up picture I've ever seen!

top topics

join