It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Arrested For Paddleboarding In Malibu ALL BY HIMSELF

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Observationalist

More like what kind of idiot got freaked out who doesn't understand viruses and called the police and made a fuss?

Viruses don't work that way.

She's a chemist ... not a microbiologist. As a chemist, she ought to understand what the salinity of the water would do the capsule of an airborne virus.

In the background, Teikiatsu does a massive facepalm.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

She should not have that job if she can say something that irresponsible.

I did find this:Surfrider.org

Does the virus spread through recreational waterways? The virus has been shown to remain viable and infectious, at least temporarily, in natural freshwater environments including lakes and streams. While dilution is suspected to keep the risk low, high concentrations of the viable COVID-19 virus could put freshwater recreation users at risk. There is still no information on the ability of the COVID-19 virus to remain viable in saltwater, so it’s unclear if swimming at saltwater beaches elevates the risk of contracting COVID-19. However, communal spread is a serious issue so spending time at popular beaches, if in close contact to other beachgoers, will increase your risk.

They love to use the fear of uncertainty to keep us in line.
I’m sure the Lifeguards were told about this “uncertainty” and they flipped out when they saw the paddle boarder.
edit on 4-4-2020 by Observationalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:53 AM
link   

What you have to understand is that her job and expertise lie in an entirely different area.

I took calculus in high school and again in college, but since my day to day experience has nothing to do with it, I may be forgiven for having lost most of that understanding. She's not a microbiologist and her day to day likely has almost nothing to do with it. So we can forgive her for not getting it.

As for your tidbit, there's no experience that coronavirus infects sharks either, so what ... ? We should take steps to ensure that no one comes into contact with them "just in case"?

There's no evidence that coronavirus can't remain viable in treated tap water or survive a nuclear blast or physically crawl across the ground searching for its next host ... so you better have a hermetically sealed bunker with its own water supply, and even if you do, there is no evidence that coronavirus can't secrete a substance that eats through walls like acid.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Here is more from Kim Prather (The scientists in question)
Coronavirus at beaches? Surfers, swimmers should stay away, scientist says

She warns again through Uncertainty!

“It’s not going to kill you if you miss a few surfing sessions, but it could if you go out there and get in the wrong air,” she said.

“You can’t see the virus, you can’t smell it … It’s a real silent killer right now.”

This is the part that is so discouraging:

Still up for debate, however, is whether the virus in the sewage is still infectious. “One report says yes, another report says no, so we don’t really know yet for certain,” said Gerba, whose research focuses on wastewater removal of viral pathogens. As for how long the virus could survive in saltwater, there’s not much data, he said, but pathogens like hepatitis A or norovirus tend to survive much longer in wild environments.

They act like they have no idea what they have on their hands. If this was a natural virus It should act like one. Either they are making a mountain out of a mole hill, so they can control the population, or they have a serious problem with a Frankenstein virus.

edit on 4-4-2020 by Observationalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Removed.
edit on 4-4-2020 by TrulyColorBlind because: Removed because someone else asked my same question. If idiots want to argue why it was all right for a lifeguard to be stationed at a beach that was outlawed for use, so be it.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Don't worry.
He'll have his day in court.

Still, if he had gotten out of the water, obeyed the "cop", there would be nothing to talk about. Would there?

But let's just ignore cops. That's a good plan. Is that what you do?

He didn't ignore or disobey the cop. He was 100% compliant with the police. Why are you repeating a falsehood?

He ignored the life guard who didn't have the grounds to ask him to leave. When the police showed up, he instantaneously swam to shore. I.E. He complied with the police, he ignored the life guard, who didn't have the right to ask him out of the water.

The lifeguard was also not on duty, he was called by a passerby.

What you're promoting is dangerous. You're promoting compliance for the sake of compliance. That's authoritarian. Phage; we all know you know better. You scared bro?
edit on 4-4-2020 by SRPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: SRPrime

When the police showed up, he instantaneously swam to shore
Showed up, in a boat, from which he could not flee. He left his board behind?

who didn't have the right to ask him out of the water.

You are mistaken. A lifeguard, on the beach, is a cop. The law says so.

You're promoting compliance for the sake of compliance.
I'm saying it's stupid not to comply. It has gotten people killed. In this case it resulted in an arrest.

He will get his day in court. Maybe the judge will see it your way.

edit on 4/4/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: HelloboysImbackguy
a reply to: jrod
I used to be a lifeguard too.

If we got a call because lets say the coast guard shut down our waters...then you can be jesus christ and what Im doing a sin, you are getting the hell out of my water.

Its mine until I get off duty. Then its someone else's water. Because if YOU drown, and a lifeguard sees you, we both know he is going in to get you...even if the risk is high enough to say its a suicide mission.

And we dont know if the lockdown had anything to do with his request to stop swimming. Maybe all the lifeguards were volunteering or home and so the city couldn't guarantee anyones safety...and didn't want to risk anyones safety having to save someone solo.

Over a swim. Public Beaches have different rules. Go to a pool or to a section of the beach with no lifeguard on duty.

The lifeguard probably had a F off large section of beach to patrol and this idiot kept him in one spot calling cops.

If this idiot needed help then someone would have to risk their safety getting his live or dead body out of the water.

This is retarded. Grown ass people acting like belligerent kids who want to swim at da beach.

Added-
Sorry. NEED to swim or we have an existential crisis over our percieved liberty and freedom. Please. Wait for the crisis to be over. If it doesn't end, start a revolution, I dont effing know. But lets not pretend some douche not being able to paddleboard in Malibu is the end of American democracy. Its too dumb to even laugh about.

It's not up to the city to guarantee safety. Even when everything is normal and they have all the provisions in pace; it still doesn't guarantee safety. You only need to try to keep places safe that are private -- and that's because of lawsuit potential.

If the city closes the beaches, and you go out and die while the beaches were closed, the family has no case, it gets thrown out of court immediately. The government will say, we gave notice, we closed the beaches, the victim assumed the liability and risk when they ignored the very real fact that the safety precautions were not in place and notification was given.

This whole thread just shows why we are in the predicament we're in, because everyone is stupid, and stupid people scare easily, and scared stupid people are the worst people to make decisions.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: SRPrime

It does show why we are here.

One man feels he is special and can do what no one else could....because no freaking swimming today was what the nice lifeguard told him. Then he ignored the nice lifeguard and had cops called on him like a degenerate.

Over stupid ass paddleboarding. He isnt even surfing. He is playing in his own piss on the shore not even out of sight.

Go swim. Malibu paddle dork. Way to go drama queen. Right to look like an idiot on national news
edit on 4-4-2020 by HelloboysImbackguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Im sure you feel the same way about those who cross the boarder illegally as well?

a reply to: Phage

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Rob808

I would never cross a boarder, illegally or otherwise. Angering a boarder can be dangerous. Skateboarders especially.

Oh wait, you meant border? I think those crossing the border illegally should be detained. I don't think they should run away when confronted. As I understand it, those seeking asylum often look for border agents (not sure about boarder agents) to turn themselves over to, so that they can apply for asylum. But that's getting harder to do, apparently.

edit on 4/4/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 05:10 PM
link   

If they have no evidence it's not a normal virus, there should be no reason to assume it's superbug and can do whatever a superbug can.

I've seen nothing anywhere to suggest it isn't otherwise a regular virus doing regular virus things.

Why hide a superbug on the one hand and then make every insinuation on the other that it has superbug powers like this?

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 05:23 PM
link   

If this is the case, then expect a 100% infection rate.

This person, who is probably the scared easily, is fear mongering albeit unintentionally because she believes what she is saying.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 06:34 PM
link   

The push for this narrative of uncertainty reminds me of horror movie sciences. The suspense of not knowing keep you glued to the screen, playing both worst and best case scenarios in your mind. Looking for a hero or, a character to come along and reassure you.... usually a false sense of security.

I’m very sensitive to being emotionally manipulated. I don’t like this one bit.

The Aesthetics and Psychology Behind Horror Films

Quoted from Donald Spoto’s (1983) biography of the filmmaker, Alfred Hitchcock reportedly told scriptwriter Ernest Lehman: 37

38 The audience is like a giant organ that you and I are playing, at one moment we play this note, and get this reaction, and then we play that chord and they react. And someday we won't even have to make a movie — there'll be electrodes implanted in their brains, as we'll just press different buttons and they'll go 'oooh' and 'aaah' and we'll frighten them, and make them laugh. Won't that be wonderful?

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 12:45 AM
link   
When the authorities don't know what they are doing, then yes, it's a good thing to disobey them.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join