It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The DOJ Powergrab

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY
just what we'd expect em to do....

we read that book in school....forced to read 1984.....no choice and I remember it well....what's that other book....I don't remember it....he he

let's see George Orwell 1984 and......

Brave New World.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
a reply to: lakenheath24

I wouldn’t expect a reasonable answer from the poster you’re replying to. The entirety of their thinking is Democrats did this, Democrats are trying to trick you, something something Democrats. It isn’t any deeper than that.

Like most here, they can’t fathom that Donald Trump might actually be responsible for anything bad that happens under his administration.

Here we have his administration trying to legalize holding citizens indefinitely without trial. And the people that claim to be “patriots” are the ones making excuses for it.

Hm, you mean like this president?

Obama wins right to indefinitely detain Americans under NDAA
18 Sep, 2012 15:55 / Updated 7 years ago

A lone appeals judge bowed down to the Obama administration late Monday and reauthorized the White House’s ability to indefinitely detain American citizens without charge or due process.

(snip)

A lawsuit against the administration was filed shortly thereafter on behalf of Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Chris Hedges and others, and Judge Forrest agreed with them in district court last week after months of debate. With the stay issued on Monday night, however, that justice’s decision has been destroyed. With only Judge Lohier’s single ruling on Monday, the federal government has been once again granted the go ahead to imprison any person "who was part of or substantially supported al-Qaeda, the Taliban or associated forces that are engaged in hostilities against the United States or its coalition partners" until a poorly defined deadline described as merely “the end of the hostilities.” The ruling comes despite Judge Forrest's earlier decision that the NDAA fails to “pass constitutional muster” and that the legislation contained elements that had a "chilling impact on First Amendment rights”Because alleged terrorists are so broadly defined as to include anyone with simple associations with enemy forces, some members of the press have feared that simply speaking with adversaries of the state can land them behind bars.

This was for alleged terrorist activity, but since there is now precedence what makes you think that any DOJ or any president wouldn't take advantage of this ruling to expand the law? In looking at threads from 2011 here at ATS, it seems some of the language was changed at some point to exclude American citizens and legal non-citizens, but the overall interpretation appears to conclude that there are enough loopholes in the law that the DOJ could have arrested and detained anyone they wanted and held onto them indefinitely - starting with Obama. And the article said the clause was permanent and can be used on any citizen in the case of a "national security concern".

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 01:49 PM
link   

We should always remain vigilant and skeptical of government, any party's government.

Because, in the end, every party's "government" is still government.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I wouldn’t expect a reasonable answer from the poster you’re replying to. The entirety of their thinking is Democrats did this, Democrats are trying to trick you, something something Democrats. It isn’t any deeper than that.

Like most here, they can’t fathom that Donald Trump might actually be responsible for anything bad that happens under his administration.

Here we have his administration trying to legalize holding citizens indefinitely without trial. And the people that claim to be “patriots” are the ones making excuses for it.

Where were you when the Chicago Black Site was discovered under Obama's watch?

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

"This was for alleged terrorist activity, but since there is now precedence what makes you think that any DOJ or any president wouldn't take advantage of this ruling to expand the law".

This is the point of the OP. Who cares what party it is. The DOJ was looking for an excuse to overreach. But this time Congress put their foot down.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I am for sure. I thinkthis pandemic required some out of the ordinary measures....but NOT this. Any measures need to be CV19 specific. Nobody needs tossed in jail for anything CV related, much less mess with courts or hold people indefinitely. Not sure what this was all about...it was for sure NOT CV related.

a reply to: DBCowboy

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 02:35 PM
link   
That is outside the scope of this OP. It is awful fro sure, but that was in one city. We are talking nationwide here.

a reply to: Flesh699

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
Then why did Congress feel the need to rebuke the DOJ in the second link?

Is this a TPTB thing?!🤣😂😅

a reply to: xuenchen

Not the first time Congress People have "responded" to fake stories that they think are real 😆 💥 😆

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 10:47 PM
link   

The president doesn’t control Congress, welcome to the United States of America

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 02:10 AM
link   
But he DOES hire the AG...which is what the OP is about. So you are good with the DOJ trying a powergrab?

a reply to: PurpleFox

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Is it a fake story then. Please prove it then. Id actually WANT it to be fake

Mmmmkay. Say hi to your TBTB bros for me.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 02:20 AM
link   

This is the Tmans DOJ. No excuses. Same thing when peeps were making excuses for Obama with Bushs people.

Im a Trump supporter but I want to know WTF this was about.

Funny how good becomes bad and vice versa.

a reply to: Gothmog

What would have gone different if clinton was potus..? I guess she would organise a private thinktank to investigate what opportunities there are to benifit ... for herself and use her very succesful grab tool, the clinton foundation to do so.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Totally unrelated to the OP. Starred for nonsense.

a reply to: zatara

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Is it a fake story then. Please prove it then. Id actually WANT it to be fake

Mmmmkay. Say hi to your TBTB bros for me.

All fake until proven real 🤣 🤣 🤣

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
a reply to: Gothmog

We are over three years into the Trump administration. He promised to drain the swamp. If there are still holdovers from the deep state in the doj, it's his own damn fault.

Every time he does anything the media attacks him. Finding the swamp things also usually requires they come out of hiding to attack him. It's a slow process.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Its been suggested that the DOJ has asked for emergency powers that will suspend rights and freedoms of citizens for an unlimited amount of time during the ongoing pandemic. In fact the DOJ has asked for such powers here....

www.politico.com...

However, a bipartisan Congressional response has told the DOJ to get bent...including our friend Schumer and AOC.

www.vox.com...

SOOOOO, this is just a reminder to people to.stay vigilant. Of course some people are gonna try it on but by God Congress actually did somethkng right for a change......and in a bipartisan smackdown.

If anything, people should find out how their reps feel about it and burn them come election time if they are for taking right away.

I am sensible enough to see that things need to get done in an emergency.....just not permanently, or for one minute longer than necessary.

The only irony I see about this is that the left used some of their most notorious hypocrites to condemn the DoJ for what they are trying to do, when at every other time in recent history it has been THEM attempting to do what the DoJ is doing.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Come on now Mr. Razor, the media? He attacked the media before he was elected and when he was he turned on the afterburners and went after it full throttle. He attacks the media over and over all the time. He blames the media all the time. So do his suporters. And that all has nothing to do with whether or not he has drained the swamp. He either has or he hasn't.

The DOJ is the enforcement arm of the government, right? So if he was to really take charge of draining the swamp, would he not start there? I would think he would. So he either has or hasn't. And after three years to claim that there are still deep staters in that department indicates to me only one thing, that he has not drained the swamp, meaning that he never really intended to do so. Only fill it again with his own critters. Placing the blame on media seems a tire old hack at best.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Real could slap you in the face and you probab ly wouldnt even notice.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 01:02 PM
link   
The OP is about thd AG. Maybe someone could prove this wrong instead of cheerleading. Bwahahaha. Or not.

a reply to: OccamsRazor04

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Didnt read it did ya? If you had you would have seen peeps from BOTH sides of the aisle say hell no.

a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join