It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should young children receive sex education?

page: 1

join
share:
arc

posted on Jul, 11 2003 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I just caught this article

news.bbc.co.uk...

and was curious as to what you think about this potentially controversial topic.

There is a paragraph at the end stating that sexual education is tantamount to child abuse and robs children of their innocence.

Personally I think an ignorant child is far more vunerable to abuse, and if I had children myself I'd want them aware of the fact sex exists - although obviously not the full details at that young an age!

posted on Jul, 11 2003 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Of course, when something is "not allowed" or bad seen children like to go tru it, and use it, or do it, or talk it, Sex untill 14-15 is the exact same story, specially people that likes it, anyway The human race needs to reproduce itself, and it does it with sex, anyway we need to do it, but we see it also as a pleasure, maybe if u teach children the good and bad of it, from the beginning without any tabu, u will get better generations (related with sex i mean), less rapers, and PSico Sexual people.

posted on Jul, 11 2003 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I never was *informed* and look what happend to me
I was never told a thing about the male body or the female body or the two in connection (if ya know what I mean) and I was CLUELESS for a long time due to this, and very frustrated as well.

So my vote is yes! Because some parents would say NO and therefore their kids would be going into a big *sex* filled world blind! And there lies the danger. I have a 3 year old daughter and I certainly plan to tell her about sex, not to the extreme of course, but she should atleast *know* the basics. I wouldn't mind her being taught it in school either, course I would want to know exactly what she was being told and validate it as best as *I* know how to. Heck, I might learn a thing or two myself!

That's my thoughts so far..good topic arc

Magestica

posted on Jul, 11 2003 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I am not saying that this is my particular view (Though i agree with some of it), but i heard a theory that i feel should be considered when discussing this topic.

"Children are impressionable; if they are taught something, they will do it. For example if children are taught about sex at a young age, they will copy it. Perhaps the problems with teenage pregnancies is partly down to this."

Anyone have thoughts on this?

posted on Jul, 11 2003 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Unfortunately, I think what you've stated can be said for both circumstances. You can lead your children astray or they can just find it on their own. I've seen WAY too many cases where the latter pertains to overly sexual teenagers then what you've said.

If we inform our kids in the right way about what they are about to head into in this world, then they might take heed to our advice and words. Or they might say, what the heck do my parents know and go in full force, thus learning on their own, what they could have just learned without *living* it themselves..it's like being trapped between a rock and a hard place, when it comes to our kids. You can do everything *right* and by the book and still, they go against your words. Or you could do nothing at all and let them decide, and they shock you by making the right decision!

That's how I see it anyway..
Mags

posted on Jul, 11 2003 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Heh... fair point mags

posted on Jul, 11 2003 @ 08:12 AM
link   
When I was at school, I never received any sexual education and ....

1) I did not become a sexual maniac.

2) I didn't rape ( or try to rape ) anyones.

3) I've no problem with sex and my sex life is ok.

4) I learned by " myself " with my first real girlfriend.

5) If it was so necessary to have that sexual education when we are at school, I wonder how the previous generation did. They didn't have any sexual education when they were at school, BUT we are all there.
So, sexual education is not a vital necessity. What's a vital necessity is to teach them ( our childrens ) what's the word " respect " mean.

When I was teenager, we were speaking about sex, of course. But when I was 12 years old, I NEVER heard a 12 years old girl speaking about sodomy as I've heard it the last month !!!

Nowdays, we can see or heard about sex everywhere.
Radio, TV, Theater, in the streets, ad's,internet.... literraly EVERYWHERE. I've a friend who has a 20 years old son.His son has sex since he's 12 years old, and all his friends ( boys, but especially girls ) have lost their virginity when they were +/- 12/13 years old. I tellya, Something is going wrong.

May be when can keep a safe-sex haven. In exemple, our childrens schools ????

P.S : I begin to be tired to hear about sex ALL THE TIMES and EVERYWHERE. At the end, it's really boring.

posted on Jul, 11 2003 @ 08:16 AM
link   
if anything, kids should be taught thisin school, yes. They should also have adult ed, for those who seem to get around. Don't they care about the risks of disease?! I mean come onalready! Why sleep around and not ask the obvious questions. Or better yet, makeit a requirement for jr high kids to see first hand what STDs can do to some one. Yes thats right jr high, you maynot want to hear that, but it's the truth. Kids are experimenting sooner each generation. And they should be aware of the dangers involved, and not just the danger of pregnancy.

posted on Jul, 11 2003 @ 08:20 AM
link   
i have to agree with UP and i think that the person i quoted meant the same (more or less)

kids ARE impressionable

and also UP is right on the point about RESPECT

nice going UP

but i do recognise mags' view. with kids, its like being between a rock and a hard place

arc

posted on Jul, 11 2003 @ 08:35 AM
link   
something else to consider..... this idealised picture of childhood and all it's innocence. Childhood didn't really exist until the Victorian era and I certainly wouldn't class 12/13 year olds as children - more young adults.

Not that I'm exactly condoning 12 year olds experimenting with sex (especially without knowing about contraception and STDs) but when you think about it humans are the only species on this planet that reach sexual maturity and then aren't allowed to have sex. Of course 12 year olds are trying to lose their virginty - they've just hit puberty and their hormones are telling them to go forth and whatever!

Sex still seem to be demonised in society even though as UP says, it is everywhere you look. Perhaps if we all chilled out about it a bit more, both in accepting it exists and also accepting sometimes things go wrong and we need to talk to people about it, then maybe the sex industry wouldn't have such a hold. Just a thought.

Going back to children, maybe if you grow up with some awareness that your parents and those of your peers not only have sex (perish the thought I know) but do it because they care about each other, you might be more inclined to try and keep your early sexual experiences precious and meaningful?

posted on Jul, 11 2003 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I have found that when my children were younger we could and would discuss anything. We had the discussions on sex, love, right and wrong you know the whole gammet. When my kids had questions they asked and of course me or my husband would answer as honestly and tactfully as we could...LOL.

Now that they are all in the early to late teens I have found that any attempt to talk with them about boys, girls etc., and whats going on with them on that level are met with total embarrassment. I do not feel that my kids are scared to talk to me they are simply to embarrased to discuss those things with MOM. God forbid. So I all for Sex Education in school with the parents consent of course.

Great topic by the way.

posted on Jul, 11 2003 @ 10:31 AM
link   
that is the key. when people teach their kids that sex is wrong, or naughty, they don't help anyone, kids get curious, i know you love them, but sooner or later it will happen. my parents taught me about sex, and i'm open to all sorts of things, hell, what guy ain't, but then again i'm only 15. i don't think sex is wrong, but handle it responsibly, then you've got nothing to worry about.

posted on Jul, 11 2003 @ 10:54 AM
link   
It is a good idea to teach it in school. A kid learns it from t.v. or music, bad things will happen. But if set in a school setting, well think about it! I never liked doing anything they taught in school, and usually didn't do the stuff because it was stupid according to me. So if a kid hates the stuff school teaches, then school teaches them about sex, think how long they would go without it?

I know, bad example, but hey, look at one of my sayings on the bottom.

Also, don't teach them just about sex itself, but the dangers and the use of protection. If the kids are taught about safe sex and what happens when you aren't safe, bet more would be careful. Take some highschool kids and bring them in. Which ones? The one who is 16 with two kids and lets see those kids act like the girl you brought in. But just the miserable ones, not the ones who are happy to have kids.

Shoiw them this girl from high school who had lots of sex and now has no life but school and her kids. Kinda like showing the lungs of a smoker. Would you smoke if you saw what was being done to your lungs?

top topics

join