It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wuhan Flu and Global Temperatures

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: HalWesten

Which particulates? Some help warm, some help cool.

No.

They all cool. Particulates reflect shortwave solar radiation before it can reach the Earth's surface. The Pinatubo eruption provides ample evidence of this.

You may want to debate that with the EPA.

Link

Emissions of pollutants into the air can result in changes to the climate. Ozone in the atmosphere warms the climate, while different components of particulate matter (PM) can have either warming or cooling effects on the climate. For example, black carbon, a particulate pollutant from combustion, contributes to the warming of the Earth, while particulate sulfates cool the earth's atmosphere.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

Fair enough. Let's just say that the effects of black carbon are variable depending upon the circumstances.

Depending on how much soot is in the air and where black carbon sits in the atmosphere, it has different effects. If it absorbs heat at the level where clouds are forming, they will evaporate. When it lies above lower stratocumulus clouds that block the sun, it stabilizes them and thus has a cooling effect. Because black carbon interacts with other components of particulate matter, such as sulfates and nitrates that reflect sunlight and cool the atmosphere, scientists do not know exactly how much black carbon itself directly contributes to global warming.

blogs.ei.columbia.edu...

Thanks for giving me something more to look into.

edit on 3/29/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I'm all for education, I have learned a lot from some of you here.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 08:03 PM
link   
There are no trees up there to recapture the carbon coming out of those jets, I have been saying that for years here.

Maybe they should plant some trees on the edge of space?

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Liquesence

which might also include a (slight) decrease in temperature,

That would more likely indicate as an increase in local temperatures. Particulates have a cooling effect.

Which particulates? Some help warm, some help cool.

Interesting:

Pollution particles emitted by diesel cars and trucks, coal-fired power plants, factories, rudimentary cook stoves, and the burning of forests are major contributors to the unhealthy pall of smog that blankets many cities and regions, particularly in the developing world. Scientists have long known that these aerosols serve to block incoming solar radiation and temporarily cool the planet, but now an international team of scientists has quantified that cooling effect, saying the earth would be 0.5 to 1.1 degree C (0.9 to 2 degrees F) warmer if that pollution were to suddenly disappear.

In an interview with Yale Environment 360, lead author Bjørn H. Samset of Norway’s Center for International Climate Research discusses the implications of this research. As countries like China make progress in reducing air pollution, regional planners should be prepared for the cleaner air to cause a jump in temperatures even above those expected under global warming scenarios.

YALE: How Air Pollution Has Put a Brake on Global Warming

While increased carbon in the atmosphere tends to cause warming, increased particulates have a decreased warming effect.
edit on 29-3-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Pollution is good. Except for what it does to one's lungs.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I'm just hoping the global warming catastrophe raises temps high enough to kill off the coronavirus apocalypse. Hopefully by June, so I can still go on vacation.
Would appreciate any data points you find to convince the missus.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join